Powell Spey Rod ??

Jackelope

Freshly Spawned
Good evening. I’ve got a Powell spey rod that was gifted to me 10 years ago or so, and I’m trying to do a little research on the rod. Oddly enough there is literally zero information online about this rod. I’ve never gotten into spey casting and, truth be told, I’m mostly doing the research because I might decide to sell the rod. I might keep it and try to get into the art of spey casting too. Not sure. I feel like I’ve got enough fishing goals at this point and maybe don’t need another sub-hobby. Does anyone know anything about these rods?
It’s a Powell 13’ 9 weight 3 piece rod.

Attachments

• EEA754F5-751C-4F4F-9D49-0C755D2D11BE.jpeg
    EEA754F5-751C-4F4F-9D49-0C755D2D11BE.jpeg
    500.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 36CB2E6E-96A9-4883-8E88-1ECFF31C910D.jpeg
    36CB2E6E-96A9-4883-8E88-1ECFF31C910D.jpeg
    491.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 92789A6C-C4B7-4A08-BF25-FA4504928C5A.jpeg
    92789A6C-C4B7-4A08-BF25-FA4504928C5A.jpeg
    842.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 35300041-2A9F-4DCC-B846-BF2F29992C24.jpeg
    35300041-2A9F-4DCC-B846-BF2F29992C24.jpeg
    274.9 KB · Views: 14

Divad

Whitefish
Good evening. I’ve got a Powell spey rod that was gifted to me 10 years ago or so, and I’m trying to do a little research on the rod. Oddly enough there is literally zero information online about this rod. I’ve never gotten into spey casting and, truth be told, I’m mostly doing the research because I might decide to sell the rod. I might keep it and try to get into the art of spey casting too. Not sure. I feel like I’ve got enough fishing goals at this point and maybe don’t need another sub-hobby. Does anyone know anything about these rods?
View attachment POWELL 1990 CATALOG 1.jpg
View attachment POWELL 1990 CATALOG 2.jpg
View attachment POWELL 1990 CATALOG 3.jpg
View attachment POWELL 1990 CATALOG 4.jpg
View attachment POWELL 1990 CATALOG 5.jpg
View attachment POWELL 1990 CATALOG 6.jpg
View attachment POWELL 1990 CATALOG 7.jpg
View attachment POWELL 1990 CATALOG 8.jpg

Some background on the company/rod.

Taken from another forum, thank you “Riverfella”

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Sorry I can't help you with that rod but I'll just say I don't fish two-hand rods as much as I'd like to due to lack of quality opportunities nearby lately, but I am sure glad I learned enough to hack my way through learning some spey casts and general principles because it really helped me to improve my overall casting and fishing game.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Powell went through several owners over the years. If I remember correctly Charles Schwab owned them for awhile.
I believe Keith Bryan was the last owner, but not sure of that.
Someone who might be able to give you more info on the age of your rod, etc would be Rich Morrison. I'm not sure if he is posting here but he does post on the other board. He's very knowledgeable in Powell rod history and vintage Powell rods. Your rod isn't vintage but he might have some info on it.
SF

SSPey

loco alto!
The catalog you posted doesn’t list this rod. I expect the only people with any real interest would be Powell collectors. I expect minimal value in the general two-hand rod market. Old age is generally not a positive in two-handers (rod designs have generally improved), a 13’ 9 wt is not a very popular configuration, nor is 3 pc very popular. Sorry to be a wet blanket. There are Powell collectors, though, if you can get it in front of one.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Think Powell Spey had a bit of following in Europe. That looks like a 90’s or early 00’s to me. Check out a couple other forums with some history, also there’s a England Auction site Thomas Turner that carrys a lot of spey (older) gear… or even send them a couple pics and ask them if they know anything with regards to your rod. Good
Luck.