Plinking Near Seattle

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
I'm thinking about picking up a .22 or an air rifle, for a bit of plinking. However, I'm not interested in clubs or ranges and don't know where else I'm allowed to actually do it. My understanding is that all shooting is banned in WA state parks, but national parks are OK. Is that correct? If so, does anyone know of a general area that is fairly close to Seattle? Something close to i90 would be great.

troutstalker

Born to Fish...Forced to Work
Forum Supporter
Hey Jared, finding public spots to shoot firearms without being bothered by somebody are hard to find. The last time I tried shooting on public land off of I-90, I had a Police Officer stop and advise that I couldn't shoot there. You usually have to go to a shooting range. Issaquah has one, $130.00 for an annual membership. In my opinion, it's worth it to know that you can legally shoot somewhere without problems. The initial cost is fairly high but I guess you have to consider it as an investment. I wouldn't think that you would have as many problems shooting an air gun on public land as you would a .22 since they are so much quieter.

Last edited:

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Just to clarify it’s National Forests that are legal to shoot in, not National Parks. And State parks also are a no go for shooting or hunting. Basically anywhere with Park in the name is going to be illegal to discharge a firearm.

But yeah BLM or National Forest are both federal public land that are potentially legal places to hunt or shoot. Also some DNR land (which is state owned) but that access is a lot more limited.

The biggest hurdle is finding public land (such as in a National Forest) that isn’t already being used for non-shooting activity like hiking or biking. Shooting in such an area might ostensibly be legal but at best will scare and upset other folks, and at worst put them in danger. The Puget Sound corridor is so crowded these days that finding an area that’s both legal and safe to shoot can be a real challenge and usually requires getting way off the beaten path.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Over this way the WDFW Wooten wildlife area has a shooting range. You might check for such an opportunity in your area. Most of our plinking is just out on rural roads or in the mountains at informal spots folks have used for ages. I was working on a road project on the lower waitsburg road north of town and came across a set of county bridge plans for the "Shooter's Bridge" replacement. My boys and I had shot there a lot, BB'S then .22's, across a dry creek bed with a high dirt bank opposite. Lots of folks shoot in the old rock pits, and we do only in ones with a dirt backstop. We are much more rural than the wet side so it's easier to find a spot over here. There's a spot on Pike's Peak the boy's liked to go because on a clear day you could see all the way to Hood and Adams. Good times, hope you are able to find some spots.

Last edited:

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
I did some research and whether or not an air rifle constitutes a firearm seems to be open to interpretation. I'm thinking that I'll go down the air rifle path and just explore some random fire roads. My folks are doing another childcare trip in March, so this will be a fun activity for my dad and I. A case of beer may or may not become involved, which I imagine is somewhat frowned upon at actual shooting ranges. 😂

Last edited:

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Hiway 410 . turn on Fr 70 or 72. Look for pullouts.
Up near the green water lakes area.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
I did some research and whether or not an air rifle constitutes a firearm seems to be open to interpretation. I'm thinking that I'll go down the air rifle path and just explore some random fire roads. My folks are coming back in March, so this will be a fun activity for my dad and I. A case of beer may or may not become involved, which I imagine is somewhat frowned upon at actual shooting ranges. 😂
Did some looking into this a while back. In Snohomish county they have established 'no shooting areas', which if you look at the map is basically most of snohomish county considering most cities don't allow shooitng within city limits. The snohomish county law also goes on to define what you can and can't shoot in a 'no shooting area', unless you're using it for personal protection of property:

It is unlawful for any person to discharge firearms or any instrument of the kind commonly known as a pellet gun, b-b gun, sling or sling-shot in any of the no-shooting areas as described in SCC 10.12.010

If I had to guess, King County probably has similar regulations. Check your county regs if you haven't - you might find something more specific.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
Did some looking into this a while back. In Snohomish county they have established 'no shooting areas', which if you look at the map is basically most of snohomish county considering most cities don't allow shooitng within city limits. The snohomish county law also goes on to define what you can and can't shoot in a 'no shooting area', unless you're using it for personal protection of property:

It is unlawful for any person to discharge firearms or any instrument of the kind commonly known as a pellet gun, b-b gun, sling or sling-shot in any of the no-shooting areas as described in SCC 10.12.010

If I had to guess, King County probably has similar regulations. Check your county regs if you haven't - you might find something more specific.

You know you just ruined my ability to plead ignorance, right? Thanks dude. 😂

Edit: The no-shooting zones don't seem to cover any of the areas that I was planning to explore, so that is good.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
My bad!
PS if you're looking for something relatively inexpensive the Gamo Varmint .177 is a pretty decent pellet gun. Think it's a round $85 w/ scope.

I'm looking at one of these bad boys.

The magazine system is dope. With some 15gr pellets, they seem like they would be good for taking out some pests too.

Modern air rifles are no joke. I was just looking at "big bore pellets" and they can weigh as much as a .22LR! Apparently some folks use them for shooting coyotes. Madness.

Last edited:

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
I'm looking at one of these bad boys.

The magazine system is dope. With some heavy pellets, they seem like they would be good for taking out some pests too.
Well now I want one. Damn that looks like fun.
And yes, a .22 air rifle will easily take out 'pests'. Heck, a .177 drops rabbits and rats no problem.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Jared,

Looks like other posters have you pretty well covered. Places to shoot have declined drastically over the years. Sorta' natural, given the huge growth in human population. Even living semi-rural as I do, it's about a 40 minute drive to the outdoor gun ranges closest to me. So I always shot at a gravel put located on Ft. Lewis property about 5 minutes away that has been used for that purpose for as long as I have known. Since 9/11/2001 the Army has a Range Patrol that actually patrols, and the last time I went to renew my range permit, they told me that target practice is not an allowed use of the army range. Weird that I'd never known that, even though hunting, in season, is allowed on all that military range land, but target practice or shooting is not. Short story become long, but that is why I bought a pellet gun, a GAMO that Ive got and recommended. So now I can shoot in my yard without driving anywhere. Maybe that alternative will work for you too.

Oh, and no beer or any alcohol or drugs while shooting! That's one of the first rules of "gun control."

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
Oh, and no beer or any alcohol or drugs while shooting! That's one of the first rules of "gun control."

I would never drink while shooting a real gun. That's a no-brainer.

The kind of air rifle that I'm thinking of buying could do some damage too, so I'll be abstaining in that case as well.

Last edited:

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
The quality and caliber of airguns have come a long way in the last few years, they even have up to 50 caliber and take all sorts of animals from hogs and larger. I see no use in buying a rimfire 22 again with what is available now with air rifles. Plus with ammo scarcity and cost, it might be tedious but you could probably mold your own and not have to worry about powder and primer cost/scarcity. I 100% approve of a safe backyard range but most city laws prohibit not only firearms discharge in city limits but also bow and arrow, bb and air rifles and even slingshots! I am a slingshot enthusiast and find that one stupid. My answer is do it anyways but don't get caught. I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice :rolleyes:

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
I'm thinking about picking up a .22 or an air rifle, for a bit of plinking. However, I'm not interested in clubs or ranges and don't know where else I'm allowed to actually do it. My understanding is that all shooting is banned in WA state parks, but national parks are OK. Is that correct? If so, does anyone know of a general area that is fairly close to Seattle? Something close to i90 would be great.
If you want to pair some plinking and fishing and head to the Okanogan for a few days, let me know.