Please use the "new posts" view...

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to repeat this advice I posted a while back....
-----

Josh’s forum PRO TIP of the month: Please use the “New Posts” view…

One thing I’ve noticed in browsing the stats is that a LOT of people go straight to the “General Discussion” subforum page. Aside from the “home” index page, it is the one that gets the most traffic on the site. Now, obviously you are free to view the site however you want, and there are a lot of great threads in the “General Discussion” subforum. But if that is your main landing page, you are missing a lot of cool discussions in the other subforums.

Have you tried the “new posts” view as your first stop in the forums? That’s the best way to check out what is happening on pnwflyfishing.com. Not only do you see new threads from every subforum across the site, but you also get all the older threads that have recently had a reply since your last visit. Then, if you’ve got a favorite subforum, you can always visit it specifically afterwards. My first page on the site is always “new posts” because I catch topics that I might have missed otherwise.

Bookmark this URL: https://www.pnwflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?whats-new/posts/

1661791961250.png

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
New posts is my default page, couldnt imagine it any other way! I dont actually use the sub forums outside of looking for a specific thread I know will be easier to find there than the new posts.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
New posts is my default page, couldnt imagine it any other way! I dont actually use the sub forums outside of looking for a specific thread I know will be easier to find there than the new posts.
Same here. It's actually tricky sometimes if I want to go back and look at a thread from a few minutes ago, that I know hasn't been updated but I've already refreshed on the New Posts button, so it doesn't show up. Then I have to figure out which sub-forum it's in and navigate directly to it. But that's a minor issue. I always load using the New Posts function.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
Same here. It's actually tricky sometimes if I want to go back and look at a thread from a few minutes ago, that I know hasn't been updated but I've already refreshed on the New Posts button, so it doesn't show up. Then I have to figure out which sub-forum it's in and navigate directly to it. But that's a minor issue. I always load using the New Posts function.
I just realized I'm a liar and I use the "What's new" page, not the new posts. I realized this because on the what's new page the posts dont disappear after I've read them, they just have the headline subdued to indicate I've read it.

Also has the bonus of being the little lightning bolt button on the header so it's easy to get back to that page from anywhere.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
"What's New" or "New Posts" operate slightly differently. But do mostly the same thing in terms of the larger goal of not missing threads in random subforums. So whatever works for you!

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
I just realized I'm a liar and I use the "What's new" page, not the new posts. I realized this because on the what's new page the posts dont disappear after I've read them, they just have the headline subdued to indicate I've read it.

Also has the bonus of being the little lightning bolt button on the header so it's easy to get back to that page from anywhere.
For the win!

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
Back in 1999 when I started viewing these web sites, I used to read everything and then comment on what I knew. Which isn't much. Except where to catch fish on the wet side of the state. I used to hit a few sites in Washington just to learn a few things on Fly Fishing. Well over the years I've pared those sites down. to one.

This one. I for one don't like things to change. I'm also a lot older now and don't fish like I used to when I retired. I don't read these threads like I did when I first retired. Not much grabs my fancy anymore. When I come on I go to the discussion site and only read a few threads. Not to interested in other things anymore. I will look at a few others but not put out any comments about them. Just an old man getting older.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I don't read these threads like I did when I first retired. Not much grabs my fancy anymore. When I come on I go to the discussion site and only read a few threads.
I mean, I don't read every single thread either. More power to anyone who does, but that's not the way I enjoy the forum.

What I do like to do (and why I'm encouraging everyone to use the "new posts" view) is to read the titles of every thread that gets posted so that I don't miss anything I might find interesting. Or sometimes something didn't catch my eye the first time around, but I notice that a lot of people are commenting on it, so I'll click through to see what all the fuss is about.

Ron McNeal

Sound, Light, and Frequency...............
Forum Supporter
Bingo!!

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
On the top left of the new posts page, you can delete the filter for unread posts. It's right under the page numbers. Just click the little 'x' and it will show new posts, even ones you've already read.
1661815058123.png

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
I used what's new, because when I bookmark "new posts" it anchors on a specific view of new posts. Is there a way to get around that?

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
I stay perpetually logged in on my phone and use the lightening Icon (new post) I don't see how you could do otherwise, unless using search.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I used what's new, because when I bookmark "new posts" it anchors on a specific view of new posts. Is there a way to get around that?
Yeah, you can't actually bookmark "new posts" because every time you use it, there's a different database call to look at what "new" means for your particular account. It's the one slightly annoying aspect.

Divad

Whitefish
@Josh thank you for pointing this out the first time. I wasn’t a user of the page before and it’s the main stop now.

*Still think the lightning bolt could use some pizzaz if toolkit allows or to draw temporary awareness. Ie: the red of the logo (which coincides with subliminal notification messaging)

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
I stay perpetually logged in on my phone and use the lightening Icon (new post) I don't see how you could do otherwise, unless using search.
Oh cool I never knew the lightning icon was the same as new posts. Def gonna use that now. thanks!

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
I'm with Nick! I'll keep on viewing the forum as I have since Day 1. My default home is PNW Fly Fishing. Then I move through the sub-forums, generally beginning with the General Discussion unless there is something new above it. I may occasionally miss something new by skipping a sub-forum, or more likely because I skip some threads.

Brian in OR.

Steelhead
Ive said this in the past, how come you don't make it a bigger header and put in the general discussion forum like we had on that other site.... :unsure: