Phillipson Eponite yard sale find

John Poe

Freshly Spawned
Found a Johnson profile series 400 - 4F86B - 4-3/4 oz line - DT 8 - WF 9 - for $10 @ yard sale, internet research tells me this is 8.5' bass action, made 62-64. I have never used a fiberglass rod, but have been fly fishing on & off since 1980's, I bought this for a wall hanger decoration in my lake house, but I have fallen down the rabbit hole of fiberglass rods and have decided to put a spool on it and try it, I was considering a $25 new cheap reel amazon, the questions ? Should I try to use it, or try to buy a period correct reel for it and put it on the wall ? or try to sell it ? if use, what line should I use, I fly rod only for bass on the lake I live on ?

Divad

Whitefish
A rod on the wall is best accompanied with a story, fish it.

Personally I’d go with an older reel, not necessarily period correct but something aged that fits the look.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
A period correct medalist, which is probably what hung on a rod like that, can be had for $25.

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
4F86B...is that "86" for 8'6" long? I bet that old fiberglass rod could cast the right line out to 70-80'. Those Phillipson fiberglass rods were quite the thing in their day. I have one on the other end of the weight spectrum...7-1/2' 5 weight. It is a medium speed rod that casts well. Definitely a rod that can fish. Enjoy your Phillipson, catch a large fish on it and then hang it. Good luck!

Last edited: