Personal Raft Opinions

Speyfishingcowboy

Freshly Spawned
The Outcast Clearwater’s higher seat and seemingly sturdy oar locks have me leaning that direction.

Catchcraft looks awesome too. What’s the difference between the $1950 and $2000 “deluxe” package?
What are your thoughts on a Outcast Stealth Pro ? considering getting one. I typically fish rivers looking to float , I am predominately alone
want vers and packable

Thanks

WT!

Just Hatched
I've used my NRS Gigbob 2 for a full season now and I love it. I sit very high out of the water, it's fast and it's agile.

BryanG

Just Hatched
I'd be interested in hearing about what folks think of the Catchercraft SRB's. I believe that the owner of the company is on here.

Frankly what I'm looking for is something on which I can take my 8 year old son (and on occasion, 11 year old daughter) out on the Yak and some local lakes without needing a trailer.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I'm eagerly awaiting my first run down the upper Sandy in my new Clearwater. It's still freshly packed away in the box it shipped in.... but its time is coming soon.
looking forward to your thoughts on that boat once you've had it out a few times...

cole_p

Yelling at trout
Forum Supporter
Managed to take the Catchercraft out a few weeks back. Super stable and very stylish. Stoked with it.

Got a late start but gave me a chance to really work the oars towards the end of the float.

Attachments

• B714783C-9A3F-48CB-9C18-42A31F211D08.jpeg
    B714783C-9A3F-48CB-9C18-42A31F211D08.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 65
  • 70B827F6-34F3-4705-AFD4-2D1E8A199055.jpeg
    70B827F6-34F3-4705-AFD4-2D1E8A199055.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 65

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
I'm eagerly awaiting my first run down the upper Sandy in my new Clearwater. It's still freshly packed away in the box it shipped in.... but its time is coming soon.
I got one too and mine is also still int he box. Don't really need it but couldn't help myself. Looking forward to getting it wet in a couple weeks.

I really like the beefiness of the Catchercraft with the welded frame for my house water and the Clearwater will be just right for some other sneaky spots that involve a significant carry and/or scramble up down a bridge embankment...

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Another Outcast fan here. I have a 2014 Commander that is easily THE best piece of equipment for fishing I've ever purchased. I got it used for $600 from a nice guy in Monroe in early 2017. I've easily fished it 20 times per year since then. Zero issues after probably 100 trips to either lake or river.
I was like you. I wanted something for floating the Yak, and I do, but I've used it so much more on lakes than I ever imagined. It's pretty damn nice to be able to kick, but then also row. Helps in the wind when it comes time to get back to the truck. And you don't need a truck. A 2005 Civic trunk is what hauled it on a lot of trips.
The new ones are orange so there's that. :confused: But you would be happy. I also have the Striker for a regular 2-man raft and it's been great.

Having said that, the Catchercraft and Watermasters (WMs) are both awesome. The Catchercraft Freestone looks amazing.

Now, one thing to keep in mind about one of the main advantages of these crafts (no bottom so you can stand/wade fish) is the weight and current drag.
My old Commander is pretty light (35 lbs dry without all my crap on it) so pretty easy when standing in a run. I can walk right down the middle of quite a bit of the upper Yak, but you do have to be careful when you see a juicy run and think you can stand up with the boat around you. All of them will want to spin around so the bow is upstream. The weight and drag does come in play there. I've only been knocked down once and was able to remain inside the ring.
It might be something to consider with those like the Freestone or WMs or even the Clearwater. The WMs are nearly 20 pounds heavier than the Commander and the Freestone starts at no less than 10 pounds heavier than the Commander. Not sure if that is without the frame or not. Just something to consider.

From all the trips I've done. It would be killer to have a raft like the Clearwater or WM that I could pack just a bit more crap on than the Commander. But those day trips on the upper Yak or Cedar you don't need all that crap and the Commander would be my weapon of choice. If I'm possibly hitting Class III stuff then I would want the Freestone with the benefit of the frame rowing since that would be more confidence inspiring. Those are the days I take my Striker even if I'm solo. It has essentially the same oar locks as the Clearwater.

And you can't go wrong with Outcast, WM or Catchercraft quality and customer service. However, we've all heard (and many have felt) the issues with Scadden quality and service. If it was me, I wouldn't even look their way unless I got a killer deal on a nice used one.

Good luck!

I know you already purchased your boat, but I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in. I'll also preface this by saying I'm particularly biased so probably disregard anything I say ... but I really like Water Master rafts. I own 2 grizzlies, kodiak, and the bruin. I do some video work for them so I did get the Kodiak for free and a steep discount off of the Bruin and a friend gave me an old grizzly.

My buddy has been using the outcast boats and they are solid boats. But there are few things I've noticed I don't like:
1. The commander sits really low in the water, so you end up being kinda wet all day, which on a cold day makes you even colder.
2. The clearwater sits really high, which means your feet don't seem to have good purchase in the water (maybe it's me with my short legs).
3. On both boats, I'm not a fan of the inflated sitting area, I like a nice solid hard surface of the WM. I feel like it ends up stressing my back a little bit more.
4. On the clearwater, get some oar holders, I find that there isn't an easy to way to store the oars while floating that don't get in the way (criss cross across your lap), and if you let go accidentally they will definitely fall straight down.
5. The outcasts boats do such a better job with integrating accessories than the WM. I like that they include several spots that you can attach plates to for scotty holders.

For the water masters
1. I do like how compact they roll up, even the bruin is pretty compact and I can fit the frame and boat inside my minivan. I feel like not having a frame on the smaller boats.
2. For a single, I absolutely love being able to stand up with the boat around me. The outcast boats and the WM both have this in common. It allows you to just stand and fish, which means you can work a run and then just sit and go. Or sometimes if I want to wade out somewhere a bit deeper, I've got my tube around me allowing me to safely push the limit a little.
3. If I want a floor I can always buy the floor, though I know it's not cheap.
4. I do wish they had some more attachment points for rod holders. I use the scotty float tube rod holders, which will hold up to small trout spey rods (barely, I have to kind wedge it into the holder).
5. I'm not such a fan of the foot rest, the strap works and the newer one seems even more durable than the old webbing ones they sold.6. I also like that the boats include drinks for a front handle. I use a rope on my grizzly, and the kodiak came with the handles.
7. I really like how the oars fold in AND there are straps that you can use to keep them from slipping off if you want to use them.
8. While the Pin style oarlocks are great for beginners, I do worry about them catching a crab and breaking on a trip. But you also get a nice way to fold them in. I really should have a backup one as part of my emergency kit.
IMG_8336.jpegIMG_8705.jpeg

I do like the frame on your boat, that's pretty sweet, though I would feel completely comfortable taking my WM down through class III water.

I'd be interested in hearing about what folks think of the Catchercraft SRB's. I believe that the owner of the company is on here.

Frankly what I'm looking for is something on which I can take my 8 year old son (and on occasion, 11 year old daughter) out on the Yak and some local lakes without needing a trailer.
I bet the SRB is a great boat. I've heard nothing but good things about Catchercraft boats. I personally got the WM Bruin for a similar sort of setup.

I do like the flexibility of the Bruin. Do you want it to be a 2 person boat perfect for multi-day trips, done.

Do you want a 3rd person, add the rear seat, done. (you can see the empty back seat where I would sit if I weren't filming)

Do you want to go out with a 4 person family, throw the bench seat in the front and the rear fishing seat in the back.

BryanG

Just Hatched
I bet the SRB is a great boat. I've heard nothing but good things about Catchercraft boats. I personally got the WM Bruin for a similar sort of setup.

I do like the flexibility of the Bruin. Do you want it to be a 2 person boat perfect for multi-day trips, done.

Do you want a 3rd person, add the rear seat, done. (you can see the empty back seat where I would sit if I weren't filming)

Do you want to go out with a 4 person family, throw the bench seat in the front and the rear fishing seat in the back.

Thanks! I enjoy your videos.

How much of a pain in the a$$ is it to break down the Bruin with its frame when you’re done?

Thanks! I enjoy your videos.

How much of a pain in the a$$ is it to break down the Bruin with its frame when you’re done?
I’ve never broken down the frame completely since ive put it together. Usually i either stick it in the minivan or i take the footrest off and put it on the roof rack. I would break it down if i was flying or traveling by horse but would never want to do it on the regular. I just store the frame put together.