Paintings it is what do

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
I painted it for my grandparents. It was a photo they took of their dogs. My grandfather was an oiler painter, but age and shakiness took that away mostly. So my grandma sent me that photo to paint for them.
It's my favorite that I've done.
Composition matters

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
Not finished, always happens when i sleep on it. Lifting pigment adding shadowing. When I post and come back later to it I usually see slight compositional pulls that bug me… so work continues. Cell phone images compress the size and is equivalent to standing way back to view or the old squint trick. This one is less gestural than the last few so what I see or Jeanne my reviewer sees helps me fix parts that once I notice can’t not see .

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
One from 25 years ago gifted to a fellow fly fisherman asa wedding gift. It was shownin my show at Sun RiverLodge with a price of $1600 .fly fishermanloved the show but no wallets came out. SoI hung onto it until the right person at the right time.It was painted of a lake we went to often, jam packed with brookies. It was absorbed by the upper Kalama River about 10 miles above Lake Merrill . I think it happened during the ‘96 floods ,upper river less than a 1/4 mile away and blew out out the main gravel forest road that fell into it about 40’ higher. “The Magic Wand”IMG_3470.jpeg

Kado

Steelhead
Your work is such a pleasure to see. So I understand clearly, is it all watercolor or is there another media? Trying to figure out how you can get such detail. The vertical lines in the 'greenhouse' take a special talent.
Thank you for taking the time to post some of your art and giving us the back stories.

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
Your work is such a pleasure to see. So I understand clearly, is it all watercolor or is there another media? Trying to figure out how you can get such detail. The vertical lines in the 'greenhouse' take a special talent.
Thank you for taking the time to post some of your art and giving us the back stories.
I am a purest about watercolor. Brush paint water , rag paper, sometimes a bit of salt fr an effect.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
Just finished this painting. They are taking me about 4-5 weeks. I had hoped to do one a month this year. View attachment 66781View attachment 66782
This one immediately "draws me into" a spot on two different streams I like to fish. I look at this and in my mind I am there ...
Not finished, always happens when i sleep on it. Lifting pigment adding shadowing. When I post and come back later to it I usually see slight compositional pulls that bug me… so work continues. Cell phone images compress the size and is equivalent to standing way back to view or the old squint trick. This one is less gestural than the last few so what I see or Jeanne my reviewer sees helps me fix parts that once I notice can’t not see.
If #83 is the painting you're talking about I'm looking forward to seeing the change

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
This one immediately "draws me into" a spot on two different streams I like to fish. I look at this and in my mind I am there ...

If #83 is the painting you're talking about I'm looking forward to seeing the change
My service bureau where I get my scans and prints made are taking their own sweet time. Of course if they get it right this time I can wait… picked it up mid last week. Looked at full sized prints and thought… this is sheet! It surprised me that they had some bozo do the printing ( over sharpening increased contrast and various bull sheet to the raw file). The usual skilled tech knows better since I have been using them for 20 years.