Outboard starting problems, tell me what I did wrong here...

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Okay, tell me what I did wrong here (I mean, besides the obvious)

Took the boat out this morning and couldn't get the outboard (90's 4 stroke Yamaha 9.9) started. Realized that I'd put the fuel line on backwards (and had been priming air?). Fixed that, but still couldn't get it started. Even after connecting it the right way, the primer bulb never felt like it was full of fuel rather still had a bunch air in it with the fuel.

Is there something I need to do to get the air out of the fuel line? Did I get air in the motor somehow and make it unhappy? I'm guessing it was just a fuel flow issue, but I didn't want to keep priming the bulb over and over in case I flooded the engine or whatever.

FWIW, the tank was new and this was the first time I'd used it. Plenty of fuel in there, but could I have an air leak somewhere? I feel like it's more likely that my screwup with the fuel line direction is the issue.

61971E73-28B5-4F24-835C-B24906E6C26B.jpeg

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Did you run the motor dry (disconnect the fuel line while running) and starve the carburetor the last time you used it? If so, when you reconnected the hose the right way, you should have been able to to used the fuel line priming bulb to fill the the delivery system; it shouldn't flood the carburetor. Did you have the gas tank vent open? Choke on?

I wish I hadn't sold my Hewescraft. ;-(

Bruce Baker

Steelhead
If the primer bulb is not getting hard, then there is an air leak somewhere and/or the primer bulb is bad. I would check the tightness of the clamps where fuel line is connected to primer bulb, to fitting for gas tank, and to fitting to motor. Make sure the fittings to fuel tank and motor are a tight secure fit. Perhaps spray a soap/water mixture on the fittings and see if there are air bubbles when you squeeze the primer bulb.

One time I was having issues with my motor. When I primed the bulb, it did got hard, but not rock hard, but also at the connection from fuel line to motor, fuel would leak out when if I kept pumping when the bulb was hard. This issue caused the motor to stall and make it difficult to restart after it had been started the first time. The issue was the fuel connector on the fuel line. The o-ring where the ball and spring were was bad. I replaced the connector and the motor performed beautifully. For example, I idled it for 20 minutes and it did not stall.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Did you run the motor dry (disconnect the fuel line while running) and starve the carburetor the last time you used it? If so, when you reconnected the hose the right way, you should have been able to to used the fuel line priming bulb to fill the the delivery system; it shouldn't flood the carburetor. Did you have the gas tank vent open? Choke on?

I wish I hadn't sold my Hewescraft. ;-(
Gas tank vent was going to be my suggestion.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
Not familiar with outboards.. but if it has a carburetor I had a similar thing happen. Reconnected the gas line but would not start. I could get it to turn over a few times with starting fluid. Took the bowl off and no fuel was in it. Found out the needle valve was stuck and the float was held in the position to not allow fuel in. I couldn't fix it so I ordered a new carburetor for 11.99 of Amazon. I haven't put it in yet, mowers still taken apart in the front yard. Yep I'm that house...

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Found out the needle valve was stuck and the float was held in the position to not allow fuel in.
Carbs are a pretty common small motor problem. But I'm suspicious this has more to do with the air in the line and fuel not getting to the motor than anything. That said, if that's not it, carb is the next place to check.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
If the primer bulb is not getting hard, then there is an air leak somewhere and/or the primer bulb is bad. I would check the tightness of the clamps where fuel line is connected to primer bulb, to fitting for gas tank, and to fitting to motor. Make sure the fittings to fuel tank and motor are a tight secure fit. Perhaps spray a soap/water mixture on the fittings and see if there are air bubbles when you squeeze the primer bulb.
This is probably where I need to start. The whole thing was fine 10 days ago when I took it out. But I guess things are fine until they aren't.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Did you run the motor dry (disconnect the fuel line while running) and starve the carburetor the last time you used it?
Question, is this something you are supposed to do? Every time?

kerrys

Ignored Member
Start with the basics. Spark, do you have spark? Take the fuel line connector off the engine end and see if the bulb will push fuel out the end. Do you have a fuel filter? Is it clogged? Is the motor out of gear? Most outboards won’t start if in gear, even partially.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Start with the basics. Spark, do you have spark? Take the fuel line connector off the engine end and see if the bulb will push fuel out the end. Do you have a fuel filter? Is it clogged? Is the motor out of gear? Most outboards won’t start if in gear, even partially.
I checked if it was in gear, so that wasn't the issue. The other stuff seems logical to check.

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
I had an issue a couple weeks ago with my Yami 9.9 - I wouldn't start. I think it was flooded, so I opened the throttle up 1/2 or 3/4 way, and took a few pulls and it started.

I have a stuck choke now, but, don't want to deal with it until the fall. At least it's stuck open.

Reactions: BCO

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
On my main out board even with it in neutral is has a funky spot that it wont start, its a little sloppy, so maybe check for exact locations?

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Okay, tell me what I did wrong here (I mean, besides the obvious)

Took the boat out this morning and couldn't get the outboard (90's 4 stroke Yamaha 9.9) started. Realized that I'd put the fuel line on backwards (and had been priming air?). Fixed that, but still couldn't get it started. Even after connecting it the right way, the primer bulb never felt like it was full of fuel rather still had a bunch air in it with the fuel.

Is there something I need to do to get the air out of the fuel line? Did I get air in the motor somehow and make it unhappy? I'm guessing it was just a fuel flow issue, but I didn't want to keep priming the bulb over and over in case I flooded the engine or whatever.

FWIW, the tank was new and this was the first time I'd used it. Plenty of fuel in there, but could I have an air leak somewhere? I feel like it's more likely that my screwup with the fuel line direction is the issue.
I have always had good luck with boat motors so I have very little advise but here are two things.

1. Pump the primer bulb until its hard and won't pump any more.

2. Make sure the kill switch is connected..

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Josh,
Do you have a water barrel or flushing kit so you can trouble shoot it at home?
SF