outboard cooling system troubleshooting

Chucker

Steelhead
You have my sympathy. Unknown outboard troubles are a nightmare. Can you run it with the thermostat out? That would at least tell you if that was the problem.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
You have my sympathy. Unknown outboard troubles are a nightmare. Can you run it with the thermostat out? That would at least tell you if that was the problem.
I appreciate your sympathy. If you mean to test my new thermostat to see if it is working, wouldn’t it be easier to do that in a pot of warming water? Or did you mean to test something else?

Chucker

Steelhead
I appreciate your sympathy. If you mean to test my new thermostat to see if it is working, wouldn’t it be easier to do that in a pot of warming water? Or did you mean to test something else?

Run the motor without the thermostat installed.

charles sullivan

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
You will figure this out.
The logical answer is that this has to do with tearing up the 1st impeller IMO.
I wonder if a rubber piece could interupt the exising impeller? Could there be a clog in the lowest portion impeding water flow?
I feel for you, man. There is no hell like insomnia or a malfuctioning outboard, but I repeat myself.
Best of luck.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Oh boy, it’s not looking good. I got the fitting to flush from the top and did that. All looked good, I think. Water coming out of the pee hole and the lower unit. There was a strong stream of water coming out of the water tube that connects the upper unit to the impeller on the lower unit—good. There was also some dispersed water splashing out of the outer housing that goes around that, the lower part of the upper unit housing. I hope that’s normal.

But here’s the worst part. I decided to open up the impeller just to check it even though I just replaced it. It was all chewed up. WTF? So looking into the impeller housing, it’s all chewed up in there. I am pretty sure I would’ve noticed that, I mean maybe not but I cleaned that impeller housing up with a wire brush and brake cleaner. What would cause that to get so chewed up in there? I can order all new parts but is there something going on that’s just going to wreck it again?
1533B15E-AEB7-46CB-9E91-2E864B3C51D6.jpeg
Pee hole looks good but what’s up with the extra water coming out of that housing and not the tube?

FB787388-59A8-42EF-9EE8-BA4194073A79.jpeg
C50ACEB6-5D63-4254-8C42-E7E90A5E6565.jpeg
The plastic is all chewed up in there. Jiminy Christmas!

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Overheated due to no water at the impeller?
Yeah, maybe. Okay so since replacing it I have only run it with the muffs and in a tank. But if for some reason water didn’t get to the impeller then maybe there is a blockage between the intake screens and the impeller. I’ll look again.

Pescaphile

Steelhead
Do check for obstructions in the intake.

Is that pieces of a gasket or perhaps plating coming off the interior of the pump housing? That housing looks very well worn. I'd probably replace the entire pump.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Do check for obstructions in the intake.

Is that pieces of a gasket or perhaps plating coming off the interior of the pump housing? That housing looks very well worn. I'd probably replace the entire pump.
Yeah I mean the entire pump is basically the plastic housing, a metal cup with O-ring that the impeller rides in, and the impeller. So I really have no choice but replace all that since it is all destroyed.

JayB

Steelhead
I suspect you'll be in good shape after you install the replacement kit. You shouldn't need to do this - but if you ever want to test whether or not the impeller is working before you re-install the lower unit, you can submerge the lower unit in a tub, and use a drill to spin the driveshaft/impeller. If it's working properly, you'll have a nice stream of water flowing out of the tube 1-2 seconds after depressing the trigger on the drill.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
When I took off the metal plate and gasket that sits under the plastic impeller housing, I found 4 little impeller corners, matching my wrecked replaced impeller. I also found two big old honking chunks of some past impeller wheel—hopefully the last of the blockages! I think that was my problem at this point.
I sprayed it all out with the hose. It seems all clear but man there is a decent amount of pitting/corrosion all through the water contact parts of this thing. Even if/when I get it running I’m just not sure how overall good I feel about it at this point. It doesn’t give me warm fuzzies.

RCF

Life of the Party
Once you fix it take it out for a test drive. If it is fixed you will feel warm and fuzzy. If it dies on the test drive you will still be warm and fuzzy rowing back in...

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Daaaaaaaamn, it was 91 bucks for a new full kit, shipped.

Reactions: RCF

Shad

Life of the Party
Not a boat or motor expert, but seeing the way it shredded that new impeller makes me wonder, assuming the impeller is attached to a drive shaft of some sort, if the shaft might be bent or somehow misaligned?

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Not a boat or motor expert, but seeing the way it shredded that new impeller makes me wonder, assuming the impeller is attached to a drive shaft of some sort, if the shaft might be bent or somehow misaligned?
Gawd, don't say that. I really don't think so. I am on board with the no flow (due to more chunks of old impeller hanging out, waiting to eff me up) -> no cooling -> overheated theory.

MELinOre

Steelhead
I presume that you knew to grease up the impeller cup and impeller before installation?

Attachments

• Honda BF9.9 Impeller Replacement.pdf
    211.2 KB · Views: 16