orvis rod weight

Chris M

Steelhead
Is the weight printed on the rod shaft the total weight of the rod completed or does it refer more to the taper for that length rod ie, 7 1/2' 4 oz, 7 1/2' 3 7/8 oz, 7 1/2' 3 1/2 oz ?

Kado

Steelhead
I'm surprised no one has been able to answer this for you. Check out the Classic Fly Rod Forum....I'm sure they can answer it.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
If the weight figure has "ounces" or "oz" immediately after the number then it's going to be the mass weight of the finished rod. The "weight in hand" if you will. Which is different than the "weight" of the line that it is meant to cast (which I'm guessing is what you mean by the "taper").

Here's an example of a Sage rod marking, it shows the mass weight of 4 5/16 oz and it is a 7 weight rod.
1676132801883.png

Do you have a photo of the labeling on the rod in question? That would help us to de-cipher it.

Chris M

Steelhead
Thanks to all for responding. I to was surprised more did not. Tom I went to the link you provided and is cleared the water a lot for me. Looking at that and Greg Reynolds data base I believe the different weights are in fact different tapers though by small amounts .
My rod is not in the data base but it's number puts it in the 1980 production year. The 1980 Orvis catalog lists it as 3 1/2 oz. with a SL cork reel seat, medium action, and HDG (6) line. The rod is marked 3 1/2 oz. HDG (6). The rod does scale at 3.8 ounces which leads me to think that is the weight before reel seat like Granger and Wright McGill did. The opinion of many on the Classic fly rod forum is that the different weight rods ie; 3 1/2 oz, 3 5/8 oz, 3 7/8 oz and 4 oz rods do feel different with the 3 1/2 oz being slower than the 4 oz. Some rods call for different weight lines and some have different size ferrules. Again thank you all.

Tim Cottage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Good on you for wading into this stuff and figuring it out. It is a slippery slope and the water at the bottom is deep.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Oops sorry Chris- I didn’t realize this was posted in the “bamboo and fiberglass” forum. My post above probably didn’t answer your question.

I don’t have any experience with bamboo and glass but it sounds like there is more to it than I realized. It looks like you got some good info though.

Anyway carry on guys!

Andy

Chris M

Steelhead
That's OK Andy, I'm only a few years into this bamboo thing and when your dealing with rods made in 1940 to 1990 information can take a bit to dig up. Hope you get on the water a lot this year.
Chris

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
If the weight figure has "ounces" or "oz" immediately after the number then it's going to be the mass weight of the finished rod. The "weight in hand" if you will. Which is different than the "weight" of the line that it is meant to cast (which I'm guessing is what you mean by the "taper").

Here's an example of a Sage rod marking, it shows the mass weight of 4 5/16 oz and it is a 7 weight rod.
View attachment 53621

Do you have a photo of the labeling on the rod in question? That would help us to de-cipher it.
Great rod. 😉