Orvis clear water action

Chris M

Steelhead
What do you feel is the action of an Orvis 9ft clear water. Looking for a medium fast 9ft 5wt in the $200 to $300 range.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
Thanks Tom. I recently broke the rod I use on lakes with a full sinking line, this might be the one.
I have used it with the clearwater floater, and the intermediate (both a 1/2 wt heavy) and a 16' s3 sink tip and it handled all those well. I will get a type 6 for it. It casts well from a float tube or shore.

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
I fished mine today on the river. Having fished my glass steffen for a few days, I really noticed how fast it is. Not my fav for multi-fly rigs, but for a hopper on a long leader, or fishing a muddler alone it was super. I like this rod best on the lakes.
20220818_clearwater.jpg

Chris M

Steelhead
Flexed one at the Cabela's Out post here in Yakima today. Not ready to pull the trigger yet, but I do have more than enough points to walk out the door with it with all my cash intact. Thanks Tom and Kado for your in put.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Flexed one at the Cabela's Out post here in Yakima today. Not ready to pull the trigger yet, but I do have more than enough points to walk out the door with it with all my cash intact. Thanks Tom and Kado for your in put.
That's not bad! Honestly though, I've always felt that the Clearwater is such an easy casting rod that performs far above it's price point.