NFR Oregon Coast Snow

Non-fishing related

RRSmith

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The Oregon Coast got clobbered yesterday as that deep, cold upper level trough stalled and dumped for about 12 hours. NWS Portland issued a winter storm warning for much of the coast. We had 6" at our place just outside Lincoln City (elevation 160') and there was 9" in Tillamook. It sounded like Portland and vicinity really got hammered and is a big fat mess. This is morning we had a wind chill advisory - the wind chill hovered around 11 or 12 degrees at sunrise with 25 - 30 mph east winds. It's a little better now that the winds have abated some, but not much (it's currently 36). Anyone else have pics or stories to share?

snow22323.jpg

snow2223231.jpg

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
So weird, we barely got anything in the Gorge. Just enough of a dusting that its really pretty out but the roads are dry.

Sounds like Portland is a total mess.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
got a fair bit out in Beaverton....I still can't get out of my neighborhood unless I want to play bumpercars going down the curved hill (main roads aren't horrible--for the most part)

index.php

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
10" in Gresham:
1677294278886.png

Going down my hill yesterday morning
1677294319143.png

I took a 5hr round trip from my house, to the freeway, and zig-zagging through neighborhoods in an attempt to get back home after they closed all the freeways (I got to sit on I-84 for a few hours before I made my own way out). Was trying to drive north to the WA side but that was not going to happen.
1677294800949.png
Made another attempt this morning.
1677294641230.png
1677294675591.png

and once I got past Vancouver WA...
1677294716072.png

cdnred

Life of the Party
I feel for you guys out west and having to deal with all this cold weather and snow. Every time I watch the weather on the nightly news it mentions another storm front coming from the west. Where I'm at near Detroit, we had about 4 inches of heavy wet snow a couple weeks back that disappeared in a few days. Last nite we got about 1 1/2 inches of snow and by noon it had all melted away and everything was green again. The east coast New York and New England have been getting hammered just like out west. Overall this winter I've been quite fortunate..

DoesItFloat

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
It still blows my mind how badly Portland Oregon deals with snow. You'd think they'd have figured out regional weather by now.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
It still blows my mind how badly Portland Oregon deals with snow. You'd think they'd have figured out regional weather by now.
For a long time they refused to use salt, I remember driving a delivery truck around downtown back in the aught teens' when the city was a frozen rutted up mess for over a week. Seems like they still haven't figured it out yet. When ever I crossed the bridge over into Washington the roads are always way better. This was always a running joke...
d7oamhub3w331.jpg

Bob N

Steelhead
Would you like to know why they don’t use salt ?

The runoff into the creeks and river will kill anadromous and other fish.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Would you like to know why they don’t use salt ?

The runoff into the creeks and river will kill anadromous and other fish.
And trash cars. Vermont uses a lot of salt and you don't see the nice older cats and trucks that you see out here.