Orcas Island & SRC? Am I wishful thinking?

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
So I'll be up on Orcas Island for new years and we're gong to hike and fish a couple lakes but wondering if it's even worth trying for some SRC? I know this is way north but I know they can be caught off Vancouver Island so, maybe? Not the best time of year but easy enough to throw a line on some beaches.

Just curious if anyone has fished Orcas for SRC and how did it work out? Not asking for spots but just the Island in general? Like I said, easy to throw and line and see but if it's just not going to happen and some of you are thinking, oh that poor stupid bastard, we should save him from himself..... maybe someone can clue me in and I can focus my limited fishing time on the lakes. :ROFLMAO:

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I've not heard of it being a hot spot. But I've also often wondered why not. There are enough currents ripping around that you'd think a few spots would feel fishy.

But then again, north sound cutts have always been a much much harder game than in the south sound.

Smalma

Life of the Party
Even though the north Sound has lots of sea-run cutthroat there is little (no?) sea-run fishing in the San Juan. Likely this due to the fact the Islands are 10 to 20 miles across open water from the major sea-run rivers and the near complete lack of year-round streams that could potentially support a wild cutthroat or salmon populations. The mostly likely stream to support a cutthroat population would be Cascade Creek on Orcas Island. That creek drains Cascade and Mountain lakes. Mountain has a natural reproducing cutthroat population (spawning above the lake) that maybe of interest. Even though the creek is approximately 7 miles long only the lower 1/2 or less is accessible to anadromous salmonids with limited spawning and rearing potential.

Curt

Last edited:

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I've not heard of it being a hot spot. But I've also often wondered why not. There are enough currents ripping around that you'd think a few spots would feel fishy.

But then again, north sound cutts have always been a much much harder game than in the south sound.

There are definitely a few spots that look really fishy but I doubt there are in reality.

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Even though the north Sound has lots of sea-run cutthroat there is little (no?) sea-run fishing in the San Juan. Likely this due to the fact the Islands are 10 to 20 miles across open water from the major sea-run rivers and the near complete lake of year-round streams that could potentially support a wild cutthroat or salmon populations. The mostly likely stream to support a cutthroat population would be Cascade Creek on Orcas Island. That creek drains Cascade and Mountain lakes. Mountain has a natural reproducing cutthroat population (spawning above the lake) that maybe of interest. Even though the creek is approximately 7 miles long only the lower 1/2 or less is accessible to anadromous salmonids with limited spawning and rearing potential.

Curt

That makes a lot of sense. I definitely plan on hitting the lake while I'm there. I've read that Twin Lakes hold some trout as well. Not as accessible though.

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Honestly, that's north sound sea run cutts in a nutshell.
See I have to disagree. I caught my first cutty by finding my closest fishy looking beach, and consistently caught fish there (albeit on spinners and spoons) until late November. I haven't caught fish at any other north sound beach but have absolutely seen them jumping. My best day had 4 landed and 6 hooked up. Meanwhile in south sound despite hitting up the well known beaches I have somehow avoided every single fish. It's probably poor timing on my part, but I know for a fact that between August and November, north sound has enough cutthroat that you will run into some after putting in some time. I think my local cutthroat beaches being a ten minute drive instead of a 2 hour drive also makes it easier for me to learn the beach, leading to higher catch rates despite fewer fish

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
See I have to disagree. I caught my first cutty by finding my closest fishy looking beach
How far "north" is northsound in this instance?

I mean, I'm very happy to be proven wrong here. I just don't know that I am.

mickey rat

Vermin
north sound has enough cutthroat that you will run into some after putting in some time. I think my local cutthroat beaches being a ten minute drive instead of a 2 hour drive also makes it easier for me to learn the beach, leading to higher catch rates despite fewer fish
This ^

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Area 10. 9. 8-2
I guess it depends on what you think of as "north sound. For me, that's area 7 more than anything. But I admit that there is a lot more SRC action in 8-2 and 9. 10 feels too far south to be considered anything be central/south sound. But again, it's all how you look at it, I suppose.

Kudos to you for getting out and finding them.

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
@Kashf the area in question is in the San Juan Islands and known as Orcas island.
It is in marine area 7.
It is much further north than the areas you referred to. Actually it is not part of Puget Sound but a part of the Salish Sea
of which Puget Sound is also a part.
I don't think anyone would question that SRC can be and frequently are caught in the areas you mentioned.
The in shore waters of MA 7 are not so generous with their significantly smaller population of SRC, though on occasion they can be encountered from the area 7 beaches.
A couple small Area 7 SRC.

Attachments

• 20170826_081517.jpg
    20170826_081517.jpg
    680.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 20170902_065526.jpg
    20170902_065526.jpg
    727.7 KB · Views: 11

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I guess it depends on what you think of as "north sound. For me, that's area 7 more than anything. But I admit that there is a lot more SRC action in 8-2 and 9. 10 feels too far south to be considered anything be central/south sound. But again, it's all how you look at it, I suppose.

Kudos to you for getting out and finding them.
Fair enough! I always assumed that when people say "North Sound cutthroat" they meant the neck of the woods I was fishing, I am sure that area is gonna be a lot tougher