Old School

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
F0BEDD4C-5050-4D9C-98F6-04010613161C_1_105_c.jpeg
AHE Wood took 3,500 atlantic salmon on a two mile stretch of the Dee on a 12 foot bamboo fly rod and a floating line. One year he fished nothing but a March Brown wet fly in a variety of sizes. I took my Sharpes 10' 7 weight spliced bamboo rod and a fly book of March Browns to a western washington river yesterday looking for early cutthroat.
Screen Shot 2022-08-21 at 1.58.10 PM.png
First there was this 18 incher. No cutthroat streaks under the jaw. A one salt steelhead?
Screen Shot 2022-08-21 at 1.59.08 PM.png
Then there was a bright steelhead...it took a size 8 March brown on a standard wet fly hook.

Screen Shot 2022-08-21 at 2.00.12 PM.png
The Sharpes spliced rod worked well with a Rio single handed spey line. It has a fighting butt which allows me to two hand. Not for distances but it works great with brush at my back. Sometimes I think big spey rods make it too easy. We cast halfway across the river when the seam is right in front of us.

Last edited:

Divad

Whitefish
View attachment 28565
AHE Wood took 3,500 atlantic salmon on a two mile stretch of the Dee on a 12 foot bamboo fly rod and a floating line. One year he fished nothing but a March Brown wet fly in a variety of sizes. I took my Sharpes 10' 7 weight spliced bamboo rod and a fly book of March Browns to a western washington river yesterday looking for early cutthroat.
View attachment 28566
First there was this 18 incher. No cutthroat streaks under the jaw. A one salt steelhead?
View attachment 28567
Then there was a bright steelhead...it took a size 8 March brown on a standard wet fly hook.

View attachment 28568
The Sharpes spliced rod worked well with a Rio single handed spey line. It has a fighting butt which allows me to two hand. Not for distances but it works great with brush at my back. Sometimes I think big spey rods make it too easy. We cast halfway across the river when the seam is right in front of us.
That is a great little fly wallet and a pretty chrome head to boot! Who makes the wallet? Crowds are tapering too, it’s my favorite couple months.

I’ve been known to long rod on a large western wa hatchery program river, usually so I can smack the guides that crowd. I agree you don’t need those rods fish 😈

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
That is a great little fly wallet and a pretty chrome head to boot! Who makes the wallet? Crowds are tapering too, it’s my favorite couple months.

I’ve been known to long rod on a large western wa hatchery program river, usually so I can smack the guides that crowd. I agree you don’t need those rods fish 😈
I buy the wallets from Lost River Flies. Best I've found. They hold the flies well without squashing them. I use them for classic steelhead wets...
0D4F4BCB-1440-4195-8AC6-3060616264C2_1_105_c.jpeg
9D228BD9-DDBA-41B5-93DD-FD3C9161464C_1_105_c.jpeg
New England style streamers...

BA98B46A-9EEE-46D0-A200-666E86480D93_1_105_c.jpeg

Thunder Creek minnows...
D16C8EFF-B20E-4D7E-A076-A0CE751A3C7B_1_105_c.jpeg

and small wet flies...
8223DBE1-4CB9-41F9-BDF9-A59446C1177A_1_105_c.jpeg

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
Do the barbless flies stay put in the felt?
Yes. And they come out much easier. The barb rips up the felt when you try to take it out of the wallet.

The downside of the wallets is that you'll have a soggy mess if they get wet. That's why I mostly fish them when it's dry or I carry them in waterproof bags in my jacket. I also treat the outside of the leather with mink oil or something to waterproof it.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
great, thanks a lot! I just ordered one of those wallets. :LOL:

I have an old LLBean (I think) one that I really like. I like the idea of just felt pages too....

Smalma

Life of the Party
Dave -
At 18 inches it is most likely that O. mykiss is a resident fish (rainbow) rather than an anadromous fish.

Wonderful flies!

Curt

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Wow - love those Thunder Creek wet flies.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Quite classy, I love it!

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Dave is definitely the bull that walks down the hill to the cows....

Fins look mighty clear on that 18"er.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
I once caught a trout in that river that was very clearly a resident fish by its body shape and color. Yet it was steelhead proportions at right about 5 pounds. I have no idea where it came from or how it survived and grew and was there to take my fly. Weird fish do happen.

Smalma

Life of the Party
Salmo_g-

On North Puget Sound rivers scale samples from several of those 24/25-inch apparent resident rainbow showed such fish were generally 10 years old having spawned 5 or 6 times. Pretty clear that once those resident fish reached a sufficient size to take advantage of the food resources that anadromous habitats can potentially provide, they can achieve impressive size.

I would not have been surprised that pre- 1850s that such resident trout were common in many of the regions anadromous waters and several examples show that under progressive management (CnR and bait bans) that at least a portion of that historic life history/size distribution can be recaptured.

Curt

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Yes. And they come out much easier. The barb rips up the felt when you try to take it out of the wallet.

The downside of the wallets is that you'll have a soggy mess if they get wet. That's why I mostly fish them when it's dry or I carry them in waterproof bags in my jacket. I also treat the outside of the leather with mink oil or something to waterproof it.
Thanks again! I bought a wallet from the company you recommended. It just arrived and it is nice!

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
Salmo_g-

On North Puget Sound rivers scale samples from several of those 24/25-inch apparent resident rainbow showed such fish were generally 10 years old having spawned 5 or 6 times. Pretty clear that once those resident fish reached a sufficient size to take advantage of the food resources that anadromous habitats can potentially provide, they can achieve impressive size.

I would not have been surprised that pre- 1850s that such resident trout were common in many of the regions anadromous waters and several examples show that under progressive management (CnR and bait bans) that at least a portion of that historic life history/size distribution can be recaptured.

Curt

This resident was probably in the 18"-20" range from the lower Sky in early February. The following summer I'm sure it was killed as a customer came into the shop braging about this big rainbow he took home.

I know for a fact that going to a CnR and bait ban would have a huge impact on our O.Mykiss in all of their range!

20220825_170307.jpg