Official Beach Line Thread

What is your favorite beach taper? Pick one for coho and/or SRC.

• Total voters

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Cool
Gonna grab one and see how it works on my XP 691

Thanks

Vandelay Industries

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Yea, that isn’t an XP which has kind of a purple color running line.
I’ve seen Sierra have other issues with product pictures and descriptions in the past.
SF
I picked up a 6wt and 7wt line. Both had the wrong picture online but the product in hand is correct.

My 7wt line is splitting apart after 5-plus years of fishing it. The price was right for the replacement.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
I fished the new to me OBS “ Premier” for the first time today.
Nice and slick, sank well with few tangles and the tangles I did have came out easily.
Hopefully it is more durable than the other OBS versions I’ve tried.
SF

fatbillybob

Steelhead
How are you guys sizing OBS lines to your rods? I'm guessing a 9ft 7wt. rod would take a 7wt OBS line. But what about a 7wt. 11ft switch or full size 7wt 14ft spey? Are you guys looking at the switch or spey rod line grain rating say 425 gr. for a 12ft 7wt spey and then chosoing the OBS 10wt because it is 425grains while selecting the 11wt 465gr. OBS for a 7wt 14' rod that has a 465gr rating?

Bagman

Steelhead
How are you guys sizing OBS lines to your rods? I'm guessing a 9ft 7wt. rod would take a 7wt OBS line. But what about a 7wt. 11ft switch or full size 7wt 14ft spey? Are you guys looking at the switch or spey rod line grain rating say 425 gr. for a 12ft 7wt spey and then chosoing the OBS 10wt because it is 425grains while selecting the 11wt 465gr. OBS for a 7wt 14' rod that has a 465gr rating?
I can’t answer your question on the Spey rods but I can tell you I am a 2 hand overhead caster with my switch rods and I up line my switch rods 3 line weights THIS IS FOR BOTH CQS, as well as OBS. SO MY 7 weight 11’ Zaxis is lined with a 10 weight CQS Xp and so on.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter

I buy the same line wt as my rod on single handers, so 6 wt line for a 6 wt rod.
I know nothing about two handers, so can’t help you there.
SF

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Yep the OBS lines are already overweighted so for SH casting I just use the same line weight as is indicated on the rod.

I did find that my 6wt Rainshadow switch rod spey cast beautifully with my 8wt OB line. That was the set up I used to learn how to execute reverse / off shoulder snap T casts.

Last edited:

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter

You're best off throwing out the weight number system when lining a switch rod and instead use the grain weight rating for your specific rod. Check the manufacturers literature. I use a 7 weight switch from No. Fork Composites and it's rated for 410 grains. I prefer Wulff Intermediate line. To get 410 grains I need to use their 11# line as shown on their weight table. It's a perfect match..Use grain weights..

Bagman

Steelhead
You're best off throwing out the weight number system when lining a switch rod and instead use the grain weight rating for your specific rod. Check the manufacturers literature. I use a 7 weight switch from No. Fork Composites and it's rated for 410 grains. I prefer Wulff Intermediate line. To get 410 grains I need to use their 11# line as shown on their weight table. It's a perfect match..Use grain weights..
This may help, but it does not state what to use for overhead casting

Attachments

• 0C04FBD3-13A9-45B2-8704-7E3E7383E9D8.png
    0C04FBD3-13A9-45B2-8704-7E3E7383E9D8.png
    122.2 KB · Views: 6

tyler

Steelhead
What Wetswinger said re; grain weights when it comes to your switch / two handed sticks.

I had an 11' six weight switch that was rated for 300 - 500 grain lines (seemed like a broad range). I went with a nine weight intermediate Rio InTouch Outbound at 375 grains. It worked well for coho beach fishing. I never tried any other lines and eventually sold the rod.

Last edited:

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
On the SH side, you can go over a weight with OBS lines without issue for many rods. I buy 7 and 8 weight OBS lines to use on my 6/7/8 beach rods.

probably a bit rod dependent but throwing it out there as an option to potentially save folks some $$.

Greggo

Just Hatched
I am loving the Cortland Compact series, and they do seem more durable to me than the OBS. I’ve used in I/S3 for PS beach and also I/S9 for jetty and surf fishing. I can’t speak apples to apples on casting performance because I also switched over to a 7 wt streamer style rod (Echo Streamer X) instead of the previous fast action SW road I was using. So far, I really like the Streamer X with the Cortland Compacts.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Ok, this is totally unrelated to the line use in this thread, but has anyone tried to two hand cast a Rio OBS?…I’m taking a 9wt line throwing a 6wt trout Spey rod to the Turks & Caicos throwing cuda tubes while wading the flats…never done it before…

I should have read the last couple posts…so someone has…

Last edited:

Bagman

Steelhead
Ok, this is totally unrelated to the line use in this thread, but has anyone tried to two hand cast a Rio OBS?…I’m taking a 9wt line throwingasting a 6wt trout Spey rod to the Turks & Caicos throwing cuda tubes while wading the flats…never done it before…

I use a 9wt CQS on my 6 wt Zaxis 11ft switch for two hand overhead casting. Other than that I can’t help you. Sorry

skyrise

Steelhead
Ok, this is totally unrelated to the line use in this thread, but has anyone tried to two hand cast a Rio OBS?…I’m taking a 9wt line throwing a 6wt trout Spey rod to the Turks & Caicos throwing cuda tubes while wading the flats…never done it before…

Yes i use OBS on my trout spey, 8 wt on a 4 wt spey/switch. If i was to use the OBS most of the time I would size up the line to at least a 9 wt to get a better load on the rod. And my 8 wt OBS is a tropical version so it is slicker and a little stiffer up here compared to the tropics. I think the running line part on the tropical OBS is much better than the cold water version.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Well, I had high hopes for the OBS “ Premier“. It was shipped to me on 3/10/23.
Oh well, back to the drawing board. 😂
SF

760B4F15-5245-4E79-9699-10E4D588DFB3.jpeg

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
oh no. I just bought the same line from Al's. I haven't used it yet, but that doesn't bode well.