Official Beach Line Thread

What is your favorite beach taper? Pick one for coho and/or SRC.

• Total voters

adamcu280

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Adam,
The two lines you've shortlisted look like pretty different tapers to the AS. Sweet lines, yeah, but different. You might like the rio predator, it's a bit more along the lines of an AS, longer front taper, short back taper. It does have an extra 4' on the head compared to the AS.
If you want to give one a rip I've got a 270 grain (total head, 240 grain 30') F/I/3 I throw on my 6 that you can try. It's not the intermediate though....it bombs on my Winston 6wt. PM me if youre interested in a test drive.

PS I can't beat @Stonedfish offer, I'm gonna want this line back!
-Matt
Thanks for the offer! Apparently I need to do some in depth research on tapers and so forth. So many variables! In all honesty my short list was half of what @Kfish told me that he liked and half of what seemed kind of ideal from light internet perusing.

I've only tried the two Rio lines I mentioned but neither are as "wow" as the AS, at least until the AS disintegrates. Seems like a lot of folks have durability issues with Rio as well?

adamcu280

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Ha, getting the line nerdery out of the Puget Sound thread? ;)

I tried @Stonedfish's line on my 6wt Boost Blue and it was decidedly "meh" compared to the AS. Seemed light, didn't load the rod up well, and I needed to really slow down my casting stroke to avoid tailing loops. I want to try it on a slower/lighter rod and see if it works out, otherwise I'll pass it on to someone else to try out.

When I switched to the AS Compact 2.0 (which they were kind enough to send me and is hopefully more durable) I was right back in my happy place. I also picked up an OBS on closeout from Confluence but they warned me I'd be lucky to get a season out of it before it died. We shall see!

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Ha, getting the line nerdery out of the Puget Sound thread? ;)

I tried @Stonedfish's line on my 6wt Boost Blue and it was decidedly "meh" compared to the AS. Seemed light, didn't load the rod up well, and I needed to really slow down my casting stroke to avoid tailing loops. I want to try it on a slower/lighter rod and see if it works out, otherwise I'll pass it on to someone else to try out.

When I switched to the AS Compact 2.0 (which they were kind enough to send me and is hopefully more durable) I was right back in my happy place. I also picked up an OBS on closeout from Confluence but they warned me I'd be lucky to get a season out of it before it died. We shall see!

Get some beer! 😂
SF

Scudley Do Right

Life of the Party

I have been using this for cutthroat in 4wt s1 s3 for the last year. I am happy with it. The 35' head is right about where I feel the most comfortable. Also sinking shooting heads in 4wt are not very common.

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
Well I'll add another line for everyone's consideration. Artic Silver has a Compact 2.0 out for some times now so I got a 7wt intermediate to try out.

I fished it this morning in the chocolate milky Puget Sound (I know..) with my 7wt Centric. It paired really well with that rod, loads it easily with one or 2 false cast and let it ripped. Running line is so thin it shoots effortlessly.

I really like how it casts but the Fisher Price toy color scheme is a little silly, does not look like a $100 line if you can describe it that way :)

Head is intermediate but the running line floats, like the previous version. Having fished the original I would say this one is more aggressively tapered, feels a lot like OBS but shoots farther. The head also feels a little stiffer than OBS.

PXL_20221222_164722262.jpgPXL_20221226_172648955.jpgPXL_20221226_172439229.jpgPXL_20221226_172452129.jpg

adamcu280

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Well I'll add another line for everyone's consideration. Artic Silver has a Compact 2.0 out for some times now so I got a 7wt intermediate to try out.

I fished it this morning in the chocolate milky Puget Sound (I know..) with my 7wt Centric. It paired really well with that rod, loads it easily with one or 2 false cast and let it ripped. Running line is so thin it shoots effortlessly.

I really like how it casts but the Fisher Price toy color scheme is a little silly, does not look like a $100 line if you can describe it that way :)

Head is intermediate but the running line floats, like the previous version. Having fished the original I would say this one is more aggressively tapered, feels a lot like OBS but shoots farther. The head also feels a little stiffer than OBS.
I got a 6wt compact 2.0 after my second compact 1.0 fell apart much sooner than anticipated. 'Twas a shame since the 1.0 was my favorite casting line for my rod (boost blue) and casting style (...unrefined?)

The main attraction for me was the 2.0 has a new and improved, allegedly more durable "handling" section in between the running line and the head. This is where my previous two lines failed, so hopefully I won't see that problem again. I haven't had any opportunities to try it out since I left BC back in early November but after a few days - so far so good. The 6wt is dark blue/light blue, so not quite as offensive as the 7wt.

ikankecil

Smolt
Is that thin Arctic Silver line's running line problematic in setting a hook if all you have in your hands are the really thin running line?

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
I was looking at lines today as I need a new full intermediate.
I looked on Rio’s website to see what they might have new and that might be more durable.
The Coastal Quickshooter is no longer listed, just the XP version which starts at with an 8 wt.
Maybe the standard version is now discontinued and they are working on a replacement?
SF

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
I looked on Rio’s website to see what they might have new and that might be more durable.
The Coastal Quickshooter is no longer listed, just the XP version which starts at with an 8 wt.
Maybe the standard version is now discontinued and they are working on a replacement?
SF

Interesting, be curious to see if they do put something new out.

Not sure how you feel about OBS lines. From a durability perspective, I’ve had better luck with the full intermediate than other OBS’s. The F/H/I also lasted almost two years I believe :), though I fish it the least of my OBS lines.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
SF
I just grabbed a 6wt CQS off Sierra Trading Post for $60. Maybe they're being discontinued which would explain why they're on STP.

Edit: the link calls the line an XP but the picture doesn't say XP and the weights available are 5, 6 and 7. In fact they seem to have the 5 and 7 weights on clearance at only $43.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
I just grabbed a 6wt CQS off Sierra Trading Post for $60. Maybe they're being discontinued which would explain why they're on STP.

Edit: the link calls the line an XP but the picture doesn't say XP and the weights available are 5, 6 and 7. In fact they seem to have the 5 and 7 weights on clearance at only $43.

Yea, that isn’t an XP which has kind of a purple color running line.
I’ve seen Sierra have other issues with product pictures and descriptions in the past.
SF

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
SF
The guys at Pacific Fly Fishers might know as Ben helped develop it.

Bagman

Steelhead

I picked up one XP a few days ago. I’m happy with it so far. Which it came in a box on a spool and was not damage. Only time will tell.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
The guys at Pacific Fly Fishers might know as Ben helped develop it.

Yep, I'm aware of that. Just don't get up that way much near their shop since I drive by Avid Angler on my way home every day when I'm in the office.
I ended up ordering a OBS short full intermediate. It will be interesting to see how long the "Premier" version lasts, since I've never tried one before.
SF

Last edited:

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
Yep, I'm aware of that. Just don't get up that way much near their shop since I drive by Avid Angler on my way home every day when I'm in the office.
I ended up ordering a OBS short full intermediate. It will be interesting to see how long the "Premier" version last, since I've never tried one before.
SF
It's hard to find a line that casts better than OBS short :)
My OBS short premiere full intermediate 6wt is still in good shape since Aug 2021 and I fished it pretty regularly, hoping it'll still be good for a few more years.
Guess we just have to enjoy it for what it is :)

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
It's hard to find a line that casts better than OBS short :)
My OBS short premiere full intermediate 6wt is still in good shape since Aug 2021 and I fished it pretty regularly, hoping it'll still be good for a few more years.
Guess we just have to enjoy it for what it is :)

Lou,
That is good to hear.
I would have bought another SA Titan but it just doesn’t sink fast enough for my liking even after being fished quite a bit.
Good cutthroat line though. Not so much for salmon in my opinion.
SF

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
I ended up ordering a OBS short full intermediate. It will be interesting to see how long the "Premier" version lasts, since I've never tried one before.
SF
Where did you order it from ?