Northern ID vs NW MT in early April?

Hoping I can get some guidance on this!

I have experience fishing Montana - albeit during the summer months but never in spring... in fact, I've never fished the spring season at all. I'm going to change that this year! Early April my wife is taking the kids and going back home for a week to visit with her family and friends... and that leaves me to take some days off and go wet a line/camp for a few days.

My knee-jerk was to hit Montana. I know some of the waters and areas... however, for anyone who's fished the Western District during the spring, you know the amount of open water throughout the entire district is a pretty short list. 8-9 hours is probably well pushing my limit driving somewhere solo, which I will be... so that kinda knocks out going further east.

I have zero experience with Idaho, but from my(admittedly limited) understanding there's a lot more water that's open during that timeframe.

Driving over from Washington, I'm gonna be driving right through Idaho anyway.

My question is - from anyone who's fished both during the spring, in my position which would you pick? I'm not asking for specific waters/holes/rocks or anything of the sort. Is it worth going all the way to Montana even with the limited water that's available... or go as far as Idaho and set up shop? When I say Northern Idaho, I'm thinking within an hour or so of 90 in both directions.

One thing I will mention(and is a driving factor) is that I GREATLY PREFER smaller water to big water. You know as well as I do, most of the water in the Western District of Montana that's open is big water. Once you take the big water out of the equation, you're left with an even smaller handful of options.

Thanks in advance.

dirty dog

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
What little I know about ID north of I-90 is the NF of the CDA, and Clark fk river in MT, (big water that Clark fk), if it is not raining both fish well.
South of I-90 in MT is the Bitter root and its tribs.
I don't know what the regs are as to open water.
Also what I know of the bigger river is they fish well from shore.
Good camping along the NF CDA

Cliff

Steelhead
I don't have any suggestions for you but I'm thinking about the same thing. I my be hunting spring turkey northeast of Sandpoint and if the stream levels are acceptable I will try fishing. Following......

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
Small stream opening in MT is the third weekend in May, keep that in mind. You can fish the “big” rivers like a small stream if you understand how to read water.
Only in the Western District. In the Central District the skinny water is all most all open. You have to read the regs. By the way the regs for this year in Montana are out for this year. Picked up a copy just last week at Walmart.

Only in the Western District. In the Central District the skinny water is all most all open. You have to read the regs. By the way the regs for this year in Montana are out for this year. Picked up a copy just last week at Walmart.
If it wasn't for the extended drive, I'd just cruise over to the central district. However, with it being a solo endeavor I don't know how I feel about driving 12 hours there and back. Seems daunting! It would be one thing if I was going with someone else.

Small stream opening in MT is the third weekend in May, keep that in mind. You can fish the “big” rivers like a small stream if you understand how to read water.
There is a very small handful of smaller water open during that timeframe... I'm pretty sure I can count on one hand how many are open(maybe two if I included the Libby/Troy area).

I guess ideally I'd be in an area where I could go try big water and then retreat to smaller water if I get my ass kicked. I don't have any trouble reading water on smaller water, I guess trying to read big water just seems daunting to me. Most of my fishing in the last 10 years has been pretty exclusively smaller water.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
Hot spotter. 😂

You want some more, I Have several more small skinny waters that I found while traveling around in the hills south of Dillon. Caught fish out of all of them. They are in the central district and they are all open. That is if the ice covering has melted. But I doubt it as it has been colder that hell around here lately. Minus 31 this morning.

RCF

Life of the Party

Watching the water from shore for a bit looking for flashes and movement will yield wonders. Also make sure you have a low profile so the fish can not see you will help one know where the fish are. Having had property on the CF for a number of years and using the techniques just described, I was amazed on how many fish are within 5' of shore just cruising by always going upstream...

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
I have not fished the area in April since I was in school in 2004, but that time of year was my favorite on the rivers around Missoula back in the day. Fish are starting to wake up. Nymph in the morning, a nice dry fly window late morning into the afternoon. Nymph until dark. Looks like the big 4 in the area are open under extended regulations. I had some epic days back then from late/mid March to run off, and at that point, I had only been fly fishing for a few years (read…I barely knew what I was doing :)).

Northern ID is tough sleddin’ that time of year. Lot more snow west of the Bitterroot crest usually. I don’t think those streams have the pre-runoff access that MT has.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
You can try rock creek, stay at the Merchantile for comfort.. you might hit March browns and or Skwalas.

Have you thought about Central Oregon and the Met?
The thought crossed my mind, but probably not the Met haha. I don’t feel like getting my ass kicked that hard… I am thinking of the right river? It’s supposedly super challenging

Reactions: RCF

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
The thought crossed my mind, but probably not the Met haha. I don’t feel like getting my ass kicked that hard… I am thinking of the right river? It’s supposedly super challenging
When I lived in Dillon, I made two trips to Washington, to just drink with a few people. I also fished for about an hour. I made it to Aberdeen in About 12 hours. I grabbed a motel and finished my drive the next day.. Going home from Forks , I made it to St Regis before I stopped to grab a motel again. I did this two times. I was over 80 at those times. Now a short drive kicks my old ass.

RCF

Life of the Party

Yes, you are thinking of the right river. There are a number of other small rivers/spring creeks just outside of Bend. Worth a look at. I will let the Oregon fisher people help you out there if you are interested... Might also check out some local fly shops for info:

Edit: Main reason I brought it up is it is within driving distance, a number of choices for smaller water, decent fishing, beautiful area and at least 25 breweries nearby and lots of good restaurants too.

Last edited:

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
You can try rock creek, stay at the Merchantile for comfort.. you might hit March browns and or Skwalas.

That’s an option but IMO there is an as good or better option in that area that time of year, especially if you are interested in fishing skwalas. Not a secret. So bitter sweet I have not been able to fish it pre-runnoff in over a decade at this point ;).