North of North Sound SRC hunt

I live on Fidalgo Island. I almost never, ever, ever see anyone fishing from shore. It's quite puzzling for me. Just south is Whidbey Island, and it is common to see fisherman lined up on the beaches. I'm not saying the fish aren't here on Fidalgo, but if they are here, no body is fishing for them.

Last edited:

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
Update for 6/12

Finally aligned life and tides with the beach I've been wanting to hit. The beach is steep up to a cliff with some sand flats further out and a thriving kelp forest a 150yds off shore. A big incoming (11ft exchange) peaking around dark was something I'd been chasing as at lower tides the massive boulders, kelp and eelgrass keep this place unfishable for my noob ass.

Arrived at 4pm with the tide at 6-7ft and climbing 1.5ft/hr. This was higher than ideal it turns out, as backcast room was tight and the structure I wanted to target was out of reach.

I gear up and wade in and on my first cast am reminded of my need for a stripping basket. Seaweed clumps on my line, line caught up on rock, line drifting and dragging... a solid par for the noob course.

While cursing I hear a splash to the north. I look and see baitfish busting 15 yes from shore and a huge splash ring encompassing them. Something of decent size had come completely out of the water chasing them.

The action is about 50 yds down the beach with a rock to stand on and help with the weeds. As I walk down I get to watch this scene play out a few more times. Could actually see a trout shape/size fish at times chasing what appeared to be small herring.

I get in position just as it starts up again, and immediately snag a tree behind me. Work at it, get it off and shorten up my backcast. I'll shoot the line i need. Double haul into a tailing loop, big crumpled heap and the popper is hung up on the line.

This incompetency would continue until morale devolved and I went home. Over about 2 hours I had 4 or 5 legitimate shots at fish in range that were feeding and I blew every one of them.

The good news is I found some, and they were were I thought they'd be, when I thought they'd be there doing what I hoped to see them do.

The bad news is I'm bad at fly fishing and I'll probably be skunked for life cuz thats what I deserve.

Stripping basket stripping basket stripping basket stripping basket

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
Good for you, you tried, and although sounds like you didn't catch anything, you succeeded in beginning to learn a new piece of water. I guess you take what you learn and adapt. Keep it up. You'll get em.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Here you go. These used to be $5.00. ;)
Just add a belt or bungee cord and you are in business.
No holes in your basket. Add some stickers.
SF

E759F83F-DD67-4C79-A7D6-2E1850C0413D.png

Squatchin

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I put 4 small holes in my basket, so there is a little drainage if I take one over the bow. As I am usually standing about thigh deep so the bottom of the basket is right at the water line, so a small amount of water in the bottom of the basket is allowed to seep in. This is really just enough to keep the line wet. This works well for me, but may not work for you. In fact, I am probably missing out by not being on Team No Holes.:unsure:

Dave Boyle

Life of the Party
I'd look into a shooting head either something like an OPST with a grain wt that suits your rod, Avid Angler has some loaners I think or something like a Airflo 40+. The point being you don't need much of a back cast, get he head out of the tip, load and let go...you can get it 60-70' easily and with a bit of practice and a bit of space easily over 90 but effortlessly. The presentation is not too pretty, but not bad either really. With this type of set up, I use both 40+ and heads, a basket is a really smart move. The old forum had a ton of posts on stuff like this.

Dave

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
I'd look into a shooting head either something like an OPST with a grain wt that suits your rod, Avid Angler has some loaners I think or something like a Airflo 40+. The point being you don't need much of a back cast, get he head out of the tip, load and let go...you can get it 60-70' easily and with a bit of practice and a bit of space easily over 90 but effortlessly. The presentation is not too pretty, but not bad either really. With this type of set up, I use both 40+ and heads, a basket is a really smart move. The old forum had a ton of posts on stuff like this.

Dave
I have attempted shooting heads for this and similar applications, I really dont love the handling of the running line and the connections, but am considering upgrading to a commando smooth because I do love casting them and the advantages are obvious.