Rod Building No. Fork Composites, not Glass, not Graphite but Linen (flax) rod blanks. !

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Interesting. If he's working on it it's got to be a valid option.

RCF

Life of the Party
I think they came out 5 years ago. I remember researching it back then. Maybe newer model?

Have not heard much in the marketplace since then.

Kado

Steelhead
$400 for a blank. Cool idea....really gets the curiosity going. Hopefully someone will get a chance to fish one and let us all know how they feel it performs.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
Another cool use for flax, that from ancient times has had countless uses. However...
"the most environmental, great material that was ever made into a fishing rod"... "joining the environmental movement to save the fish..." 🤨
🤔 resin coated flax linen cloth ......................... or hand crafted bamboo 🤔
I do wish them well and would also like to hear how they cast, and especially how they fish.

Last edited:

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
Another cool use for flax, that from ancient times has had countless uses. However...
"the most environmental, great material that was ever made into a fishing rod"... "joining the environmental movement to save the fish..." 🤨
🤔 resin coated flax linen cloth ......................... or hand crafted bamboo 🤔
I do wish them well and would also like to hear how they cast, and especially how they fish.

Yeah, what's the manufacturing process vs other materials. Bamboo will win out every time!

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Uhm, doesn't flax stop being a natural fiber when it's "resin impregnated?" As Brian alluded to, it's like as if Gary has forgotten bamboo, that long used rod making natural fiber. Even so, I would be interested in casting one of these linen rods.

Brian Miller

Forum Supporter
Uhm, doesn't flax stop being a natural fiber when it's "resin impregnated?" As Brian alluded to, it's like as if Gary has forgotten bamboo, that long used rod making natural fiber. Even so, I would be interested in casting one of these linen rods.
My response to their rather silly "environmental marketing" hyperbole was snarky but I still like my 9' 6 wt gold-scripted Gary Loomis Signature IMX rod a lot and want to see Gary and a local company do well.

Edited to remove references to Edge graphite rods

Last edited:

Brian Miller

Forum Supporter
I think the Gamma Beta rods are graphite.
Wow, now that I re-read the descriptions it says graphite, doh!

RCF

Life of the Party
I am wondering if any of the current offerings have linen. IMHO really hard to tell looking at the website.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Yeah, what's the manufacturing process vs other materials. Bamboo will win out every time!
don't most folks still use glues and coatings (even some impregnated with whatever) on their bamboo?

Kado

Steelhead
Over three decades ago before kids and when we both worked, my wife had played with the idea of getting an Hermes Kelly bag. We were in our stupid materialistic phase and never pulled the trigger. I told her about this rod....she said sure thing! I might build a copy of one for her as her anniversary gift! She'd get a kick out of it and I could fish it! I've got eight months....

RCF

Life of the Party
The new 2023 Loomis all natural fly rod......
View attachment 50435View attachment 50436

You just showed what Loomis said about the linen rods:

"
  • Flax is incredibly durable, the best description is a hybrid between glass and carbon fiber – it is not afraid of high sticking
  • Flax fiber does have some memory – if you overstress the sections, it will remain slightly bent and can be straightened back, or left alone for a period to recover (similar to bamboo)
"

cedarslug

Steelhead
I just did some searching about details about the news.

Looks like NFC kickstarted this project in 2016 (Kickstarter link), and in 2018, someone on another forum shared their build (https://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=62486).

The build is pretty dope.

Here's some news about the linen rod from their mailing list (https://manage.kmail-lists.com/subs...005319&m=01GQ08XMQEEGJ72DQNHF7A25EP&r=Vg9GvEs). NFC claims that all profits of the linen rod sales will go to conservation efforts, Fish First (https://www.fishfirst.org/). Maybe that's the environmental angle they're going for? Sustainable material + conservation aid? I don't know anything about Fish First, other than Loomis is the founder/president.

Otter

Steelhead

The lingering cleavage closeup at 1:30 is several decades behind the times. 2023 and still objectifying women? I know nothing about Gary Loomis, but that's a big marketing failure to me. Mr. Loomis may know fishing rods, but he has a lot to learn about respecting women.