NFL 2022 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Lots of problems in Denver.
Last I heard they had 21 players injured. None of these players have played with Wilson. This is important because Russ will scramble, whether he needs to or not. When a QB breaks out of the pocket several things need to happen. The linemen need to not go downfield and the receivers need to work back to the QB being the two most important. If you are a receiver and you are open raise up your hand so that short guy can see you.

Coaching. Hackett is new and even the great Rogers, (reigning MVP?) struggled in his first season with him. They need to coach to his strengths and not to what they think he should do. Seattle was good at this however because he was such a scrambler they never really addressed the O-line...in fact they treated the line as unimportant because Russell was usually on the move. As soon as he is gone they make a good trade and draft two first rounders for the line and viola! Now Seattle has a pocket for their passer and it shows.

Last off season I was hoping they would have traded for Jimmy G. They could have gotten him for a song and a couple of Brady's old flat footballs.

It's gonna be a couple of rough years in Denver. They have no draft capital to trade so They'll have to sell whatever good and healthy players they have - which are mostly on defense - which will create a whole other series of problems.
Generally speaking, offense coordinators do not make good head coaches. OC’s want to go on fourth and one all the time, since they believe in their system and would be embarrassed if they can’t make one yard…ditto fake punts, onside kicks, and trick plays they have been dying to implement, but a good head coach would restrict…just ask the Raiders…

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Actually I think many of the calls we see are the result of Analytics
Some critics say the reliance on these Analytics has taken the feel of the game out of the coaches hands

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Some critics say the reliance on these Analytics has taken the feel of the game out of the coaches hands
While analytics does come into play often, as in going for two points after a td, analytics doesn’t explain a half back option play to Tom Brady…

charles sullivan

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Not meaning to keep piling on poor Russell, but please help me understand how the Broncos can be doing so poorly this season. It can't be that Wilson went from pretty damn talented to zero talent and skill over night. Yet that is what his first season with the Broncos looks like. What are the factors that explain such misery?
He is a quarterback who relies on big plays and scrambles. He thinks he is Payton Manning but in reality he is more Randall Cunningham. The Patriots Head Coach compared him to Roger Staubach all the time. The offense Carroll ran played to that strength. It's simple, features running the ball on early downs and had very few short passes, especially over the middle.

The Denver offense is one that should be played on time. It requires the quarterback to win by making decisions quickly. This is not Wilsons strength. He holds the ball longer than nearly any other QB. He tends to lock in on a target. If that target is not open, he holds the ball until he can flee the pocket and play schoolyard football. He is great at throwing on the run, and making deep passes. Carrol's offense allowed for that and emphasized running the ball, and throwing deep.

The same line that supposedly could not pass block, was responsible for some fantastic running. The only constant in all the sack the last 10 years was Wilson's refusal to throw the ball on time. The line was not bad. In fact, many of the same linemen who were disparaged in Seattle had good careers elsewhere when they had QB's who would throw it quicker. He now is in Denver and he is being sacked at a super high rate again. Carroll was able to limit the negative sack plays by running on early downs effectively and wearing down the defense.

In the end, Wilson whined himself out of town. He hated the offense that did not let him throw it 40 times per game. Caroll let him play hero ball at the end but he wanted to be a hero all the time. Unfortunately for him, the offense he blamed for not being even better may have been the only offense that he could win with.

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
While analytics does come into play often, as in going for two points after a td, analytics doesn’t explain a half back option play to Tom Brady…
No - they were being cute as he was uncovered on the previous attempt. Maybe they were baited

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Analytics? What is Analytics? A computer program that tells you what play(s) to run? I've mentioned before that I'm a casual football fan, so excuse my ignorance if this is some kind of common knowledge.

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Analytics definitely not Old School
It results in things like the shift in baseball

Last edited:

smc

Guppy Chow
Analytics? What is Analytics? A computer program that tells you what play(s) to run? I've mentioned before that I'm a casual football fan, so excuse my ignorance if this is some kind of common knowledge.
Basically. You should watch the movie "Moneyball" if you get a chance. It's about how analytics got started with the baseball Oakland A's.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
who really cares at this point? I'm 100% out on this season. I'm just glad I've been fishing a lot and working on gamedays. Once the new owners really put their stamp on the team, that'll really give everyone an idea it we're the new Cleveland Browns or something else. Didn't some dude named Mossbrick, Mossbuck....or something like that mention something about lots of armchair GMs?

Regardless, I thought this was funny....
1670004634671.png

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Niners-Dolphins game should be interesting. 2 coaches that worked together for over a decade and have similar styles. Warner called it like pre-season when the D plays its own O. Not super confident the Niners can take this one so I guess I'll be rooting for the lambs to beat the hawks.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Niners-Dolphins game should be interesting. 2 coaches that worked together for over a decade and have similar styles. Warner called it like pre-season when the D plays its own O. Not super confident the Niners can take this one so I guess I'll be rooting for the lambs to beat the hawks.
this is a game I'd be looking forward to....should be an interesting matchup.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
He is a quarterback who relies on big plays and scrambles. He thinks he is Payton Manning but in reality he is more Randall Cunningham. The Patriots Head Coach compared him to Roger Staubach all the time. The offense Carroll ran played to that strength. It's simple, features running the ball on early downs and had very few short passes, especially over the middle.

The Denver offense is one that should be played on time. It requires the quarterback to win by making decisions quickly. This is not Wilsons strength. He holds the ball longer than nearly any other QB. He tends to lock in on a target. If that target is not open, he holds the ball until he can flee the pocket and play schoolyard football. He is great at throwing on the run, and making deep passes. Carrol's offense allowed for that and emphasized running the ball, and throwing deep.

The same line that supposedly could not pass block, was responsible for some fantastic running. The only constant in all the sack the last 10 years was Wilson's refusal to throw the ball on time. The line was not bad. In fact, many of the same linemen who were disparaged in Seattle had good careers elsewhere when they had QB's who would throw it quicker. He now is in Denver and he is being sacked at a super high rate again. Carroll was able to limit the negative sack plays by running on early downs effectively and wearing down the defense.

In the end, Wilson whined himself out of town. He hated the offense that did not let him throw it 40 times per game. Caroll let him play hero ball at the end but he wanted to be a hero all the time. Unfortunately for him, the offense he blamed for not being even better may have been the only offense that he could win with.
Pretty spot on. I think Seattle was almost entirely pre-snap read, and Denver is almost entirely post snap read.

What really brings me joy, is the 1st round pick we got for trading Wilson is currently the third overall pick in the 2023 draft. When the trade happened, pretty sure everyone kind of figured it would be near the end of the first since Denver was immediately considered playoff bound.

I'm routing for Chicago and Houston to win, and of course Denver to lose. To get the first overall pick out of this trade would be pretty damn sweet.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter

Yeah it's going to be an interesting/good game.
While I REALLY want to watch i, I think Im gonna go fishing instead ;)

Xoxo

Denver was ahead and lost in the last minute and couldn’t make a FG . 2FF9E09D-1135-48C3-B799-8A2B72EDDEC0.png

Xoxo

It was not televised but i could refresh the score online. Poor Russell. NO TD for how many games ???

Status
Not open for further replies.