Nextcast Coastal vs Zone (2d/3d)

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Anyone here cast either of these that can comment? Or better yet, both of them and can compare the two.

Looking at their chart(s) these two lines look pretty similar. Ones a few feet longer (Zone) than the other, but otherwise they look about the same. Curious if they cast significantly different or they are just tweaking lengths to give people options to dial in better.

I'm intrigued by the Zone 2D, but saw the coastal and got thinking there might be some bigger differences that I'm not seeing.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Anyone here cast either of these that can comment? Or better yet, both of them and can compare the two.

Looking at their chart(s) these two lines look pretty similar. Ones a few feet longer (Zone) than the other, but otherwise they look about the same. Curious if they cast significantly different or they are just tweaking lengths to give people options to dial in better.

I'm intrigued by the Zone 2D, but saw the coastal and got thinking there might be some bigger differences that I'm not seeing.

I own both. Zone is my go to. A very smooth line. Coastal is easier casting and will carry a heavier payload. Both are fantastic lines.

It should be noted I did not enjoy the finder. This is surprising given my affinity for longer lines. But I just didn't dig it. I found it weak and tough to repeatedly cast well. It lacked feedback and was a little vague. The zone provides plenty of feedback both single and double spey tactics and carries enough of a load to fish effectively in the northwest.

Last edited:

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
I own both. Zone is my go to. A very smooth line. Coastal is easier casting and will carry a heavier payload. Both are fantastic lines.

It should be noted I did not enjoy the finder. This is surprising given my affinity for longer lines. But I just didn't dig it. I found it weak and tough to repeatedly cast well. It lacked feedback and was a little vague. The zone provides plenty of feedback both single and double spey tactics and carries enough of a load to fish effectively in the northwest.
Thanks Dustin, much appreciate the response.

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
I have a couple of coastal 3Ds for my burkie 6128, the things to rock! I don't think Simon makes the 3Ds anymore

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
I have a couple of coastal 3Ds for my burkie 6128, the things to rock! I don't think Simon makes the 3Ds anymore
I think you're right. It's kind of hard to tell if they even make the coastal anymore. It looks like it's now the 'Core 23/Coastal'.
I've heard good things about both - at this point probably going to just try both and see how they feel. Probably end up with a combo of Coastal F1 for heavy winter work and a Zone FF for everything else.

O' Clarkii Stomias

Forum Supporter
I think you're right. It's kind of hard to tell if they even make the coastal anymore. It looks like it's now the 'Core 23/Coastal'.
I've heard good things about both - at this point probably going to just try both and see how they feel. Probably end up with a combo of Coastal F1 for heavy winter work and a Zone FF for everything else.
I think you're right about the core 23. I like that he's offering Skagit lines in different lengths.
Have you looked at Guideline for multi-denstity scandis?

O' Clarkii Stomias

Forum Supporter
They've got grams and grains, meters and feet listed on their website. Last lines I ordered showed up in 4-days from Sweden.

SSPey

loco alto!
I have one of the new “Core” heads in the same length as the old Coastal. The taper hasn’t changed, or at least, I can’t tell any difference. The material isn’t as high floating, but otherwise casts and fishes the same for me.