Newport surf perchin'

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
surf perchin' is fun as hell! I wish I did it more....it's been a minute.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Do it! I’m out at the coast for work (a bit north of there) but I went down to the beach and was regretting not bringing fishing gear. As I always do and knew I would but I packed hastily thinking mainly about work not surf perch.

Like an idiot.

RRSmith

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Definitely give the mouth of Beaver Creek a try - I know a guy that has caught a couple of SRC's there while fishing for surf perch. Let us know how it goes and good luck!

What setup and flies do you use for surf perch? I've only used saltwater plastics on a carolina rig/ gear rod. Usually pretty effective.

DoesItFloat

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
What setup and flies do you use for surf perch? I've only used saltwater plastics on a carolina rig/ gear rod. Usually pretty effective.
Been using small and medium Clousers. Fished a 7wt 11' two hander this time, did not like the line setup. Looking for an integrated skagit.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Personally, I like a 7 or 8wt SH with either a type 4 or type 6 shooting head in the 250 (7wt) to 300 (8wt) grain weight. I'm partial to SA Sonar Titan tapers for lines and typically just fish either an orange or red checkerboard fly. Really basic. Don't forget your stripping basket, it's virtually impossible to fish the surf out here without one.

Wadin' Boot

Badly tied flies, mediocre content
Forum Supporter
Last edited:
@DoesItFloat , I just found this thread...do you live in the area? I'm in Seal Rock...I didn't know anyone else still fly fished here on the central coast, honestly I've only seen one other fly fisher since moving out here 3 years ago...PM me, we should meet up sometime