New Silk Line

Tim Cottage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
And I'm looking forward to your opinion of the line after you've had some time on the water with it.
If I wanted another line right now he would be my first choice mostly because he is willing to do custom tapers.

Cliff

Steelhead
And I'm looking forward to your opinion of the line after you've had some time on the water with it.
If I wanted another line right now he would be my first choice mostly because he is willing to do custom tapers.
Tim, I'll definitely report back on this. -Cliff

Cliff

Steelhead
Tim, I'll definitely report back on this. -Cliff
I know what you mean, I don't fish silk all the time, owning several conventional lines. But I'm pretty much used to the drill of drying and redressing. Last summer I was dressing all of my silk lines on the picnic table in the parking lot of the Idaho Fly Fishing Shop in Avery, and I attracted quite a crowd of fishermen putting in right behind me. They couldn't believe all the work I was going through. I let one of the guys cast my line and he said "ahh, I see why you like these lines", but he said he still wouldn't put up with the maintenance. I can't say I blame him. It's an acquired taste;)

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
Not that I’m lazy Cliff.....I guess just maybe about certain things. I’m not sure if I should cast real silk.....I have way more than enough in my fly fishing world! Do you fish lakes?

Cliff

Steelhead
Not that I’m lazy Cliff.....I guess just maybe about certain things. I’m not sure if I should cast real silk.....I have way more than enough in my fly fishing world! Do you fish lakes?
Yes, I've pretty much ignored river/stream fishing for several years and I'm making a concerted effort to fish moving water more these days. I still fish lakes, but I plan to concentrate on streams now.

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
I recently ordered a silk fly line from Jaime at Zen Outfitters. Does anyone have experience with these lines? They're beautiful and Jaime was a joy to work with. I'm really looking forward to fishing my six weight Granger this summer with this new line.

CliffView attachment 51859
Cliff, you need to bring this to our next cast around. Would love to try a real silk line.

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
@Cliff,

I was wondering how durable the silk lines are. Can you advise. If say, you get hung up on a tree limb above ground, or wrapped around on ein the water, does the silk line abrade and possibly fray?

Thank you.

Bob

Cliff

Steelhead
@Cliff,

I was wondering how durable the silk lines are. Can you advise. If say, you get hung up on a tree limb above ground, or wrapped around on ein the water, does the silk line abrade and possibly fray?

Thank you.

Bob
Bob, I've never had any issues of these kinds with my lines, but that's not to say they don't happen. I once stepped pretty hard on my Cadno silk line and I noticed a slight "flattening" on the line in that spot, but working it with my fingertips brought it back into round. I would say they are probably not as durable as a modern line.