New Shad Run

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
That's gonna' add a lot of forage to the lake. Longfin smelt, juvenile sockeye, stickleback, and now juvenile shad.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
That is really interesting. Thanks for posting that.
I posted this on the old board. I found this floating in Puget Sound back in 2017 where baitfish were getting pounded.
I thought it was a sardine, but others thought it was an American Shad. I’ve never seen one since regardless of what it is.
SF
IMG_3812.jpeg

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
We biked along the Sammamish Slough last weekend and I stopped to look down from a bridge, did see a bunch of decent sized fish but not sure what they were.
This explains it then :)

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Don't see it being a huge issue. Shad are vegetarian filter feeders. Don't see them out-competing the cutties for a whole lot.
I see possibly cuts foraging on baby shad. I don't know much of a shad lifecycle but cuts have big mouths and an appetite so I imagine some will take advantage especially given the size of some of those trout.

Coach Potter

Life of the Party
I see possibly cuts foraging on baby shad. I don't know much of a shad lifecycle but cuts have big mouths and an appetite so I imagine some will take advantage especially given the size of some of those trout.
That's exactly what I was thinking! My eyes were really opened to that this winter as my weapon of choice (for cuts) became big streamer's.

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Hmm, maybe my annual gorge shad trip moves to the slough??? :unsure: They probably don't want me camping on the bike path. The entertainment factor can be high though.
MedicalScholarlyFowl-size_restricted.gif

GAT

Dumbfounded
Forum Supporter
From what I've learned from a coastal fish biologist, the shad swim up far more rivers from the Pacific than we know. Evidently there is a small run that make their way up the Siletz River in Oregon. They look for warm water more than flow so if a stream meets their requirements, they head on up.

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
From what I've learned from a coastal fish biologist, the shad swim up far more rivers from the Pacific than we know. Evidently there is a small run that make their way up the Siletz River in Oregon. They look for warm water more than flow so if a stream meets their requirements, they head on up.
Definitely. They've been targeted in the Umpqua for years now. From ODFW-
Today millions of shad still return to the Sacramento, the Umpqua, the Siuslaw, the Columbia, the Willamette and other rivers.