New Sage rod

I know its impossible, but I'd love to see a shootout with regular fisherman casting a bunch of unbranded rods. Same blank color and style, same reel seat, same cork, same guides... all different brands including the big names and no-names like Maxcatch and other Chinese/Amazon specials.

I wonder how many guys would be raving about the cheapies claiming "this ones totally a Scott/Sage/Winston/whatever I can tell!"

I'm fairly confident a competition caster could probably discern some differences which is why I'd want it to be with regular guys.

Anyway, I think the results would be quite eye-opening.

Big Tuna

Steelhead
The solution is buy what you can afford or is in your established price range and meet your definition of a nice casting rod. It's nice to have all the options from high end rods made in the US to cheaper rods made overseas. Manufacturers will charge what people are willing to pay, and ultimately do need to turn a profit. That said, I personally wouldn't spend $1100 on a single hand plastic rod.

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Or just wait a three years and buy it for $750 when the latest best rod comes out.

…. I still love the Sage RPL. While not the lightest/swiftest/techno rod of todays rods…. If you have a decent skill set this rod will still hum a line….
Me too. I have some really nice rods in my stable, several I love dearly. But somehow the RPLs seem to match my arm perfectly. My only now is an 896-4 that doesn’t see much action anymore, but it never fails to make me grin.

ifsteve

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Ok back from Pyramid so here is my take on the R8.

I did not particularly like this rod for using at the P. Its too soft for my liking as a tool for just long distance casting into the wind. I think this will be an excellent rod for general stillwater use. Slowly fining down a shoreline and tossing minnow or bug patterns along the bank is where this rod will shine. It is a very accurate casting rod IMO. Also a great indicator rod.

But in my hands it was not a very good long distance caster.

justahack

Just Hatched
Ok back from Pyramid so here is my take on the R8.

I did not particularly like this rod for using at the P. Its too soft for my liking as a tool for just long distance casting into the wind. I think this will be an excellent rod for general stillwater use. Slowly fining down a shoreline and tossing minnow or bug patterns along the bank is where this rod will shine. It is a very accurate casting rod IMO. Also a great indicator rod.

But in my hands it was not a very good long distance caster.
Yep. Igniter is better for punching at distance, if you want a sage. Or you could fish a sector, even further…