New Sage rod

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
Let's get to what is really important. What color is it?

ifsteve

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I have a new 10ft 7wt R8 sitting in Idaho waiting for me. Can't wait to use it at Pyramid Lake next month. I think its going to be a killer rod for throwing the OBS and stripping tadpoles.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
I have a new 10ft 7wt R8 sitting in Idaho waiting for me. Can't wait to use it at Pyramid Lake next month. I think its going to be a killer rod for throwing the OBS and stripping tadpoles.
I see a lot of hate on the new sage rods, but I'd bet it's a pretty damn sweet stick.
Have fun at pyramid, hope the wind isn't too brutal. Throw up a trip report if you get a moment.

ifsteve

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I see a lot of hate on the new sage rods, but I'd bet it's a pretty damn sweet stick.
Have fun at pyramid, hope the wind isn't too brutal. Throw up a trip report if you get a moment.
Pyramid is a strange place for sure. Only fishery I do where you want crappy weather, wind in your face. But to a point. I have been there with the wind so bad the lake had rollers and surf and you could literally have surfed it. Crazy but man those big Lahontons!

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
The 9ft 5 wt is good for anyone who likes light fast rods.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Here's my perception...

Sage used to be a "buy it for life" proposition and that made it easier to justify the expense. People have learned, the hard way, that is no longer the case. The hate isn't hard to justify.
Buy it for life because of the warranty? Or buy it for life because of the cost?
All flagship rods used to have around the same cost and a similar lifetime warranty. Except Orvis, who had a 25 year warranty, but their warranty was robust from what I remember.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I have no issue with expensive things. Some people have more zeros on the end of their paychecks than I do. So if someone has enough money to say "I'll just buy the most expensive one since that's likely to be the best", more power to them. While an $1100 Sage rod isn't likely a good value, it's also not likely to be a bad rod.

That said, hard pass for me. No need to spend $1100 on a rod when spending far less will catch me just as many fish.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
Buy it for life because of the warranty? Or buy it for life because of the cost?
All flagship rods used to have around the same cost and a similar lifetime warranty. Except Orvis, who had a 25 year warranty, but their warranty was robust from what I remember.

Warranty. I remember people justifying the cost of Sage rods, based on anecdotes about breaking 10 year old rods and being sent a brand new one. That doesn't happen anymore.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Warranty. I remember people justifying the cost of Sage rods, based on anecdotes about breaking 10 year old rods and being sent a brand new one. That doesn't happen anymore.
Agreed.

For context:

I had a warranty issue with an older Winston a year or so back. An LTX. I bought it used. The issue couldve been a legit warranty thing, but I used that rod well, so easily could've been something I inadvertently did. The stripping guide insert had broken. Without hesitation, they said "send it in and take your pick from our new lineup". Sickness. Brand new $900 rod to replace a 20 year old used rod.

Similarly, broke my XP a year and a half back, this one completely my fault. That said, when I bought the rod new, it had an unconditional warranty. Just pay shipping and handling. That apparently didnt matter though, since they had updated their warranty policy. $200 later, I got the butt section replaced.

You decide what you want from that info.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I think you get in to the abuse problem….and I bet it’s repeat offenders. Mfg’ers warranty intentions were good. Some patron intentions were not, and they will find some of the most inconceivable avenues to abuse a system/policy/warranty. Remember Costco electronics warranty/policy? It was a sweet deal for people with LEGITIMATE issues regarding their electronics …..but as the tvs and other products quickly advanced in technology the abuse of Costco’s policy from some consumers exploded.

I like fishy people running fishing gear companies. Not so sure Sage has them calling the shots any more. Suits?

I still love the Sage RPL. While not the lightest/swiftest/techno rod of todays rods…. If you have a decent skill set this rod will still hum a line. They go for 175-300.00 on average from the big auction site. You can buy 3-4 of them for a newer top of the line rod price. 🤔 ….or buy one and save money for other things. ???

Just a thought or simple opinion.

I think you get in to the abuse problem….and I bet it’s repeat offenders. Mfg’ers warranty intentions were good. Some patron intentions were not, and they will find some of the most inconceivable avenues to abuse a system/policy/warranty. Remember Costco electronics warranty/policy? It was a sweet deal for people with LEGITIMATE issues regarding their electronics …..but as the tvs and other products quickly advanced in technology the abuse of Costco’s policy from some consumers exploded.

I like fishy people running fishing gear companies. Not so sure Sage has them calling the shots any more. Suits?

I still love the Sage RPL. While not the lightest/swiftest/techno rod of todays rods…. If you have a decent skill set this rod will still hum a line. They go for 175-300.00 on average from the big auction site. You can buy 3-4 of them for a newer top of the line rod price. 🤔 ….or buy one and save money for other things. ???

Just a thought or simple opinion.
Yep... the same kinds of people ruined return policies at places like REI. People returning 5 year old boots with 700 miles on them, or the guy bringing back his tent that he's used for 20 nights every season for the past 10 years. People don't realize that a lot of items are "consumables".

Fly rods don't fall into that category though... I find it hard to fault a company(no matter how popular it may be) that will fix something I messed up at a fair price. It's not their fault I closed a rod in the car door, slipped and fell with my rod, or decided to smack it into a bridge or a tree limb. While being offered a new rod sounds good, new isn't always better... especially if your favorite rod has been out of production for years. Some companies will force you into whatever the new equivalent rod is. Pretty sure Orvis does this once they run out of components or pieces for their older models. Legendary rods like the old Sage LL - in some cases a 30+ year old rod - they will repair it.

Not trying to take up for shitty customer service. Thats its own problem... just offering some perspective other than "BRAND S BAD" "WARRANTY BAD""REPAIR COST BAD". It could be worse.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Bad apples inevitably ruin things for honorable people.