New glass on the way....edit: has arrived.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
A couple of days ago I put my deposit down on a new Steffen Bros.

It's one that Shane doesn't normally offer but I knew he had the mandrels for it as Mark and I had been tossing around the idea for years (even before my tiger musky addiction).

Going with a 7'9" 10/11wt.

Super stoked to add to my Steffen collection. I'll get pics up in a month or so when it's delivered....although if you're familiar with the general Steffen color scheme (dark red wraps on the un-sanded brown blank) you'll know exactly what it looks like....just bigger.

Last edited:

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Oh my word....I can't wait go get this beast on the water! my pics don't really do it justice...

side by side to show butt width compared to the 10wt Epic Bandit. This has got a fair bit more guts in the butt....I can't wait to see what all I can tame with it!

PXL_20230505_221812099~2.jpg
PXL_20230505_221832302~2.jpg

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Can't imagine how fun it must be to throw those big ass flies on glass. Cool!
oddly, it's actually far easier than one might expect. I do know this though, once I get something that holds a ton of water and is larger than 9" (insert sophomoric chuckles here), it's not nearly as fun. But man, there's a reason I've been working on fly design so damn much....to make something that's fun and easy to cast all day yet still moves the way I want and catches the hell out of fish. Apologies if I read that as slightly sarcastic (I just assumed, perhaps wrongly)...There's definitely a fine line though with what heavyweight glass can handle all day vs. graphite in that arena, tbh.

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Wasn't sarcastic in the least bit. I haven't cast a ton of glass rods but I do know if you can relax and let them do the work it can handle a load.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
yep, I was wrong, my bad....but yeah, there are still certain limitations (as there is with anything). As long as one is willing to work within those limitations, it's fun as hell! But it's also fun seeing what the edge of those limitations are.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Off shore peanut albacore time ?
If it's anywhere close to the NFC 10wt, it'll do just fine with any of the Albies we get. That said, it'll probably never be my primary for that fishery.