New Fly Swap on the Books!

WWKimba

Smolt
I'm a new member here and have just posted my first fly swap - The Ark Swap" found on the next thread - 'Fly Tying and Entomology". I've been tying flies for over 50 years and hosting fly swaps going on 12 years now on other sites.

What is a fly swap? It is simply a where a bunch (6-12) of tyers get together to tie a set of flies and exchange them with one another. The theme for this swap are fly patterns that include no more than 2 tying materials, besides the hook and tying thread to produce a fishable fly! Why the name Ark Swap - well this type of fly is commonly referred to as a "2 by 2" pattern - 2 materials and 2 minutes to tie or less for most experienced tyers. ALL of my swaps are open to all level and experienced tyers - I've had a couple people that had signed up for my swaps after JUST getting their initial fly-tying kit!

How can a swap help out a newer tyer? Well there are 3 ways that almost all tyers can improve on their tying skills - take tying classes, tie with some experienced tyers, OR participate in a fly swap. Why? - each of these methods involve FEEDBACK on your tying. Also, since you will need to tie the same pattern multiple times you will begin to better develop your small muscle memory as well as your tying eye. You will also build your personal database of fly patterns along with having one of those patterns to test drive on your home waters.

How can I help you with your tying and swap experience? Well, I can offer some tying pattern choices to you that meet the swap theme. For this swap it would look like this:

Green Leaf Hopper
1675965092096.png

Simplified Carrot Nymph
1675965183303.png

The DJG Nymph
1675965253216.png

The American Woolly
index.php

Deer Hair Beetle
1675965373840.png
The Pull Back Nymph

1675965435797.png

If you find one you liked then I can send you the recipe and tying directions ang with any hints/tricks/traps in tying your chosen pattern. Then, after I receive your flies, I can ID where you did well, where you could improve and provide specific steps on where and how to make said improvements. Sort of like a mail-in tying class.

lastly, I provide a fly-tying gift or two to all swap participants as a thank you for participating. I hope that you'll consider this as an option in becoming a better tyer. Also, please check out my "Fly Swaps 101" listing on the "Fly Tying..." thread so you can look like a seasoned pro at swapping flies.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to ask on this thread or via PM and I'll be happy to help you out and I do check this site at least daily.

Kim

Oh, and one other thing, ALL my swaps are FUN!

Attachments

• 1675965313847.png
    1675965313847.png
    39.9 KB · Views: 147

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Sounds interesting. I can't wait to see what folks come up with. Sadly, I don't tie trout patterns, my patterns utilize a few more than 2 materials (although, it could be said I could narrow it down to 3--fur, feathers, flash) & they definitely take longer than 2 minutes. I'm sure plenty of folks will have fun with this swap. cheers!

WWKimba

Smolt
Sounds fun, I have a very productive lake pattern that would meet the criteria. What's the timeline look like for this swap?
Sorry for the late reply. Registration closes on March 3rd and flies are due in by April 3rd. We now have 3 openings left in the swap and registration closes on March 3rd. Let me know on the swap thread if you decide to join in the fun!

Kim