Narrow down line choices

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I may have posted this before (a while back) in the old forum but I’m not going back there, so my situation is I’m getting back in the spey game some for upcoming fall/winter/spring 23’. Been about 15+ years since my last spey outing…lots of more lines out now than before. Been fishing a switch, 7110-4 Zaxis with a 420 Rage Head and a 8 foot sink poly leader. Really like that combo for the switch.

I acquired two older spey rods. An 8134-4 Zaxis and a 13’6” 8/9 5 piece TFO Deer Creek. Housing them both with a Lamson LS4 (1st generation… you know the cool looking one but thinly built with big O’s ported …😬)
Nice reel and at 4.5” still on light side perhaps.

Anyways…. Looking for suggestions on a couple of lines to target. AF Rage will be one. Thinking 540 for the Z and maybe 580 or 610 for the DC…? But what other options out there. Not an OPST fan but have not tried them on long spey rods. Did not like it on my switch compared to the Rage. So many lines out there. I can probably get some demos to try….so what should I be looking at? Thanks in advance to you experienced long rod fishing people 🙏

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
I may have posted this before (a while back) in the old forum but I’m not going back there, so my situation is I’m getting back in the spey game some for upcoming fall/winter/spring 23’. Been about 15+ years since my last spey outing…lots of more lines out now than before. Been fishing a switch, 7110-4 Zaxis with a 420 Rage Head and a 8 foot sink poly leader. Really like that combo for the switch.

I acquired two older spey rods. An 8134-4 Zaxis and a 13’6” 8/9 5 piece TFO Deer Creek. Housing them both with a Lamson LS4 (1st generation… you know the cool looking one but thinly built with big O’s ported …😬)
Nice reel and at 4.5” still on light side perhaps.

Anyways…. Looking for suggestions on a couple of lines to target. AF Rage will be one. Thinking 540 for the Z and maybe 580 or 610 for the DC…? But what other options out there. Not an OPST fan but have not tried them on long spey rods. Did not like it on my switch compared to the Rage. So many lines out there. I can probably get some demos to try….so what should I be looking at? Thanks in advance to you experienced long rod fishing people 🙏
Gaelforce 54 for a "spey line". Cut it and loop it at 15' I for tips if desired. Call Poppy for a demo.

That 8134 I LOVED with a 54 7/8 Gaelforce. Amazing combo. Ballistic lines has a multi tip system called the launcher if you are wanting something more for tips. If fishing a rage, Gaelforce, then you might want to look at a full skagit rod. That way you would have every condition covered.