Muddler Minnows

Phil K

AKA Philonius
Forum Supporter
Fantastic! I look at these muddlers and flashback to Ferguson's Green and Silver*, these I have to try and tie (no chartreuse deer hair).

* In my early SRC fishing days, Ferguson's Green and Silver was my go to fly. Over the years that pattern has morphed many times to where I have a few dozen variations on the original recipe from Bruce.
No accident. the Green and Silver caught my first Rezzies decades ago, and it still works.

Scottp

Legend
Montana cutthroats seem to like Irish lough muddlers.

48692382038_502f7d4efa_c.jpg

48692895412_e8daa6eabb_c.jpg

48692723211_de2432b608_c.jpg

Regards,
Scott

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Forty years ago I learned how to tie muddlers from Bill McMillan and how to fish them from Mark Noble. During my steelhead years they were practically the only steelhead fly I trusted and caught 90% of my fish using the greased line technique. They were particularly good for fall steelhead.

I haven't tied or fished one in over 20 years but they were damned good when there was still steelhead around. My favorite memory of a muddler was fishing the Umpqua one summer and standing on a big rock to hit a slot on the far side of the river. After a few futile cast I finally got the hero cast I was looking for and put the muddler right in the heart of the slot. The reaction was instant and a massive steelhead hammered the fly after just a short drift. I felt the weight and power of the fish as it rolled on the fly and then felt the line go slack. I was sure the fish had broken the tippet but when I reeled in the hook was still there but the fish had somehow stripped all of the dressing off of the fly with nothing left but some gold tinsel and a tiny patch of tail.

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
Forty years ago I learned how to tie muddlers from Bill McMillan and how to fish them from Mark Noble. During my steelhead years they were practically the only steelhead fly I trusted and caught 90% of my fish using the greased line technique. They were particularly good for fall steelhead.

I haven't tied or fished one in over 20 years but they were damned good when there was still steelhead around. My favorite memory of a muddler was fishing the Umpqua one summer and standing on a big rock to hit a slot on the far side of the river. After a few futile cast I finally got the hero cast I was looking for and put the muddler right in the heart of the slot. The reaction was instant and a massive steelhead hammered the fly after just a short drift. I felt the weight and power of the fish as it rolled on the fly and then felt the line go slack. I was sure the fish had broken the tippet but when I reeled in the hook was still there but the fish had somehow stripped all of the dressing off of the fly with nothing left but some gold tinsel and a tiny patch of tail.
I still fish the After Dinner Mint........a lot!

DarrellP

Steelhead

Thanks for bringing up Mark Noble. I just found a photo of him with my daughter from a fishing trip. I learned a lot from Mark.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
If you tie on 6-8 of the PT legs, 3-5 of them will still remain after getting chewed on by multiple trout.
I have noted they go quick. I saw fly fish food has them pre knotted so i won't be so scotch adding them.

Reactions: Zak

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
This "fly of the month" muddler variation looks good (if not quite as versatile because you can't squeeze water into it and fish it wet). I'd probably swap out the CDC for snowshoe foot, so I can use Gink.

Last edited: