Non-Fly Mooching?

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
Anyone use a Peetz reel?
I have one in a drawer someplace. I never spooled it up.

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
No. We used Winonas. Those Peetz are cool the way they work, but never owned one.
I just looked up the Winona. Thats a great looking old Heddon made reel. Says they were made between 1948 and 1962. They made some in stainless steel for a short time too.

Would be pretty fun to hook a nice King using one of these reels!

Jerry Daschofsky

The fishing camp cook
Forum Legend
I just looked up the Winona. Thats a great looking old Heddon made reel. Says they were made between 1948 and 1962. They made some in stainless steel for a short time too.

Would be pretty fun to hook a nice King using one of these reels!
I have one stainless and a few black and aqua colored ones. The stainless were made for the NW. They're a direct drive one to one ratio. Thumb brake with a screw drag. They could backlash worse than any bait caster. But man they could hold a lot of line. Great using heavy mono in deep water.

I actually used one on my first pin rod years ago. I couldn't afford a centerpin reel back then.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Anyone have any funny mooching stories?

I was fishing with a friend out of Pt Defiance in his boat. Probably late 70’s.
He has a rod and reel combo that he wasn’t real thrilled with. The reel had been giving him trouble even after having it serviced. The rod was kind of a club.
About half way through the day I can hear him cussing in the back of the boat about the reel.
Just as I turned around to see what was going on he launched the whole outfit overboard.
I couldn’t fish for like 20 minutes I was laughing so hard.
SF

Jerry Daschofsky

The fishing camp cook
Forum Legend
Anyone have any funny mooching stories?

I was fishing with a friend out of Pt Defiance in his boat. Probably late 70’s.
He has a rod and reel combo that he wasn’t real thrilled with. The reel had been giving him trouble even after having it serviced. The rod was kind of a club.
About half way through the day I can hear him cussing in the back of the boat about the reel.
Just as I turned around to see what was going on he launched the whole outfit overboard.
I couldn’t fish for like 20 minutes I was laughing so hard.
SF
Yes I do. I was motor mooching with my wife and kids. My rod went off. It was a big one, I thought, was fighting weird. Felt really heavy and was doing a slow head shake. Fish kept circling boat. Clockwise, then counterclockwise. After a few minutes the fish came up. My hook had pierced a barnacle on a rock. The currents made it bounce and circle boat.

Scudley Do Right

Life of the Party
On time we were at pnp and see a dude in a 22' Glasply getting towed from Whidbey. They pull up right by the lighthouse and unhook him. He pulls out a rod and starts mooching. At the end of the drift he started waving people down to tow him back up. He got quite a few people to tow him.

Another time at pnp it wasn't that busy and a dude in a float plane pulled in. He walked out on his pontoon and started mooching.

Scudley Do Right

Life of the Party
I was fishing with my father in law a few years ago who does fish much. I wasn't paying attention to what he was doing for awhile and he tells me that there is something wrong with his reel. I look over and he is almost spooled and his line is pointing straight out. I take it from him and reel down a little and feel the thump. I hand it back and tell him he has a fish. It took him a long time to get that one in. He had a 12lbr snagged in the side. I could have chased it down but I wanted him to get his money's worth.

SeaRunner

Steelhead
Not sure it is a funny story, but a story nonetheless. I was out this past summer at Jeff. Dead calm day and there were ribbons and pockets of small red amphipod-looking things on the surface, with large schools of dogfish and some herring showing on the surface as they gulped them down. I managed to get on a boiling herring ball and hooked up a decent king who after fighting around the boat a bit decided to run and then head for the surface. I had gotten him turned and was bringing him in near the surface when the thumping of the fish turned to dead weight for a few seconds and then pop, nothing.

I reeled in to find my leader broken about 2 inches below the weight, a sliding metzler flash bar weight. Now I can't prove it, but my guess is that one of those surface feeding dogfish decided to eat that flash bar and then chewed through the leader. I have pulled salmon in with dogfish chewing on their tails so it seems plausible. The only other thing I can think of is that the leader got wrapped around the flash bar at some point in the fight (it can happen) and then eventually cut through. But every story needs a villain.

Scudley Do Right

Life of the Party
Not sure it is a funny story, but a story nonetheless. I was out this past summer at Jeff. Dead calm day and there were ribbons and pockets of small red amphipod-looking things on the surface, with large schools of dogfish and some herring showing on the surface as they gulped them down. I managed to get on a boiling herring ball and hooked up a decent king who after fighting around the boat a bit decided to run and then head for the surface. I had gotten him turned and was bringing him in near the surface when the thumping of the fish turned to dead weight for a few seconds and then pop, nothing.

I reeled in to find my leader broken about 2 inches below the weight, a sliding metzler flash bar weight. Now I can't prove it, but my guess is that one of those surface feeding dogfish decided to eat that flash bar and then chewed through the leader. I have pulled salmon in with dogfish chewing on their tails so it seems plausible. The only other thing I can think of is that the leader got wrapped around the flash bar at some point in the fight (it can happen) and then eventually cut through. But every story needs a villain.
I have lost fish to a tangled slip weight before but I like the story of the dogfish more. I had a similar scenario on the bar but hooked a king on the top hook and dogfish on the bottom. The whole time playing them I didn't quite know what was going on.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Another mooching story.
Early 80's out at West Point fishing with my then girlfriends brother.
He hooks up, plays it for awhile and up pops a seal pup. Hooked right in the mouth.
He starts asking for the net. I'm like WTF, you aren't bring that in the boat? He says he is.
As he reached for the net, I grab the herring knife and cut his leader right below his weight.
He was pissed. I just shook my head......
SF