Non-Fly Mooching?

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
It's pretty effective off the Oregon Coast here. I'll sometimes do it with a blue coltsniper jig... so not traditional mooching with a herring, but same idea.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Did a ton of mooching growing up, but then went many years not doing it much.

In 2019 I was trying to fill some gaps in my fly fishing guiding timeline and decided to offer chinook mooching trips. The chinook fishing in 9 and 10 was quite good that year, and I was surprised at the interest it received.

Did those trips for maybe a month and it really reignited my interest in mooching. Success rate was through the roof as well, which was great from a guiding perspective.

Had a ton of fun and have done a lot more since. If I'm not fly fishing I'd take mooching over anything else, especially trolling.

Something else I offered in 2019 that was a TON of fun and unbelievably effective was casting/retrieving cut plug herring near the beach. Bought some longer, softer spinning rods and approached it just like the beach guys did. Worked the rips/points/eel grass beds etc. That was a blast. The takes are mostly visual and the catching was damn good. Chinook, kings, coho, and silvers all were encountered. Good times.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Yellow fiberglass Eagle Claw Granger Ocean, Penn 109 and a 4 Oz banana weight did a lot of damage back in the day.
Lots better gear out there today but the old stuff would still work.
SF

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
Tengu Derby in Elliott has been going on for 85 years or so. I don't know a whole lot about it, but sounds kind of interesting.

Scudley Do Right

Life of the Party
Did a ton of mooching growing up, but then went many years not doing it much.

In 2019 I was trying to fill some gaps in my fly fishing guiding timeline and decided to offer chinook mooching trips. The chinook fishing in 9 and 10 was quite good that year, and I was surprised at the interest it received.

Did those trips for maybe a month and it really reignited my interest in mooching. Success rate was through the roof as well, which was great from a guiding perspective.

Had a ton of fun and have done a lot more since. If I'm not fly fishing I'd take mooching over anything else, especially trolling.

Something else I offered in 2019 that was a TON of fun and unbelievably effective was casting/retrieving cut plug herring near the beach. Bought some longer, softer spinning rods and approached it just like the beach guys did. Worked the rips/points/eel grass beds etc. That was a blast. The takes are mostly visual and the catching was damn good. Chinook, kings, coho, and silvers all were encountered. Good times.
I saw you catch a few out there. You don't see many people in boats casting anything at the beach. I think that would work well.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
109 will still work. You gotta change the handle out. Also gotta watch the line getting caught between the spool and frame. I have my dad's 109s on the shelf.

I had a speed handle on mine. I wish I knew where it went.
SF

Scudley Do Right

Life of the Party
We would motor mooch at first light. It was probably easier with a small child (me) and wife who didn't fish much. One morning we had a triple at the mouth of the Duwamish. I couldn't see over the gunnel so my dad helped me. My mom was on her own and his rod stayed in the rod holder. I think we landed two of them. I prefer drift mooching but before it's light or if there isn't any current I'll still motor mooch.