Modern Low Price S Glass - 7wt Build Moonlit

Divad

Whitefish
Hoping to find a 7wt single spey setup that has some fun flex when fighting fish in the $200 range. Been very curious about these newer glass rods, has anybody messed with the Moonlit Rods, specifically the S Glass variant? I currently single spey on a 7wt 10' Echo Ion XL but its quite stiff and would like to reserve it for deep nymphing.

That OPST 4wt Butterstick video of him shooting an OPST head has me intrigued to try it for summer run but a larger weight.

EDIT: Decided to build from blank with a Moonlit 7wt.

Last edited:

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I regularly fish my BAG 7wt with a 250gr Commando head and a 7' T-7 to T-10 sink tip for winter steelhead. works great, rods handles the fish great, distance is great (on par with any SH rod.

I've never messed around with Moonlit...

Divad

Whitefish
I regularly fish my BAG 7wt with a 250gr Commando head and a 7' T-7 to T-10 sink tip for winter steelhead. works great, rods handles the fish great, distance is great (on par with any SH rod.
Shoot I kind of forgot about the bag thank you! If you are using a 7wt fiberglass for winters maybe I should step it down to a 6 or 5 for summer.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Shoot I kind of forgot about the bag thank you! If you are using a 7wt fiberglass for winters maybe I should step it down to a 6 or 5 for summer.
I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. You'll likely be happier with a 7wt or 8wt in the long run. I also use my 7wt for trout streamer fishing and it's still lots of fun since it'll still bend nicely. a 7 or 8 is just going to be far more versatile.

I also fight big fish super hard and fast with little regard for potential breakage (also using 15lb tippet)....still haven't been able to break it.

Divad

Whitefish
I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. You'll likely be happier with a 7wt or 8wt in the long run. I also use my 7wt for trout streamer fishing and it's still lots of fun since it'll still bend nicely. a 7 or 8 is just going to be far more versatile.

I also fight big fish super hard and fast with little regard for potential breakage (also using 15lb tippet)....still haven't been able to break it.
Was hoping to hear that the 7wt was being used still for lighter duty fish and making bends.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Shoot, I have a Steffen 7/8 that I'll use sometimes for trout streamers and it's a blast as well.

Divad

Whitefish
@clarkman It’s hard to say no when I can get the Moonlit for $169 or 130 less than the BAG which I think is still Chinese? Not bashing it at the price point but if the BAG was Korea or elsewhere I’d be more inclined.

We will need to meet up and compare setups. It’d be nice to offer the community some comparison.

The blank Lunar S Glass is pretty tempting but I’ve never done it and foreign to sourcing components locally.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
@clarkman It’s hard to say no when I can get the Moonlit for $169 or 130 less than the BAG which I think is still Chinese? Not bashing it at the price point but if the BAG was Korea or elsewhere I’d be more inclined.

We will need to meet up and compare setups. It’d be nice to offer the community some comparison.

The blank Lunar S Glass is pretty tempting but I’ve never done it and foreign to sourcing components locally.
Don’t quote me but I’m pretty sure all the echo rods are s. Korea.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Yeah, I have no idea where the BAGs are made. I do know they're great rods. The Moonlit looks like a decent deal, especially to dip your toes into it. The further down the rabbit hole you go, the more likely you'll be to get one or two higher end modern glass (like Steffen, etc) and that's where you'll really notice a difference in feel and performance. That said, my BAG gets plenty of use, as does an old Berkley Parametric 6/7 (can likely be had for less than $100 on eBay right now). Bottom line, they're just lots of fun!

Divad

Whitefish
Don’t quote me but I’m pretty sure all the echo rods are s. Korea.
You are correct. I had to call Echo but the BAG is a Korean rod 🤘 so I either wait for the Moonlit Korean rod (same price) or buy Echo.

The owner at Moonlit is such a genuine fellow that I feel I should give them a shot.

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
As far as glass spey rods go, Echo had a line of glass switch and spey rods out a few years back. I had a 7# spey which I liked but never used because I instead got into 2 hand overhead instead. They may be found on this and that other blogs classifieds section. Longish glass rods are a rare find...

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I had that Echo 7wt glass switch too. Absolutely loved it. The only reason I sold it is because virtually all of my winter steelheading (that's the only time I really fish for them) takes place on places better suited for SH rods. But man, if I liked swingin' big rivers for steelhead (I just don't get much out of it), that rod would still be a part of the rotation.

Divad

Whitefish
I’ll keep and eye out for them, if I end up taking a fancy to this glass thing a long option sounds fun. So does a little 1 or 2wt.

Ordered the 7wt Echo BAG from a shop in Oregon and excited to pair it with an SA Skagit Lite 240gr.

Divad

Whitefish
Ordered a BAG, received tracking and then the tracking never updated for a few days. Called the shop and it’s out of stock...broken sales system honey pots customers. Wonder how long it would of taken until I was notified.

Figured hell, I’m just going to make it myself. Blank came today, rest of the goodies come next week. Thread might go to my first (solo) rod build and then some thoughts on the s glass.

If it comes out a fly rod, @clarkman still curious to know how the blanks compare.

42A1100C-7DE5-4E9A-A124-B362B373C352.jpeg

Last edited:

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
Make sure you put everything together 'dry', without glue to be sure it all fits the way you want it,, before you glue it.. Did you find a seat that slides over the glass rod or you using a Stent? The fight butt adds length to the bottom section...good luck..

Divad

Whitefish
Make sure you put everything together 'dry', without glue to be sure it all fits the way you want it,, before you glue it.. Did you find a seat that slides over the glass rod or you using a Stent? The fight butt adds length to the bottom section...good luck..
I searched a bit to find one I wouldn’t have to stint, thankfully. All is reamed and dry fitted now, Chris with Prolite in Tumwater was a great help yesterday. Cool seeing his shop and how he works, beautiful rods with some unique touches.

Going to tape the reel seat later today and learn/try marking the spine.