Messing around with new camera, checking out that Chinese Spy Balloon, couldn't believe what I saw!

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Gravity has won.......again.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
I fear the danger has just begun. Be sure to report any odd brain eating behavior you might see!

Divad

Whitefish
I feel so much safer...
:ROFLMAO:
My grandfather (navy) used to tell me about how they’d turn off all radar, go completely dark to enter “controversial” water during the cold war. They’d then flip everything back on and have fighter jets scrambled on them in minutes and claim they were having problems.

A gentle probe to check reactions where a response is expected, but not a friggin week later like this balloon. Cmon man

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Was watching Bill Maher (DVRed) and he noted that the balloon crossed over Montana and retorted, "Oh no! Now the Chinese know where we keep the cattle!" The Air Force shot down the balloon once it reached the ocean off S. Carolina. I suppose the Navy or Coast Guard is going to pick up the pieces. Won't they be surprised to pick up Bobo?

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
Why they used a multi million dollar missile when a quick tap on the 40mm Cannon would do it... Does the F22 even have a gun?

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Hang onto your hats. There’s another one on the way.

D44ECDF2-AC19-4C26-BB5E-9B1D9FF44C70.jpeg

flybill

Life of the Party
I'm waiting for the hot blonde Swedish balloons!

Or this one...

Chinese-Spy-Balloon-Memes-0-908x1024.jpeg.webp

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
20 mm A-61
"How much does a 20mm cannon round cost?

Once you have your cannon if you ever want to fire it it will cost around $180,000 a minute, each round costing 25–30 dollars (plus tax) at 6,000 rounds per minute. How can I buy and fly a decommissioned military jet?"

It probably cost less to fire the sidewinder, due to the very expensive stealth paint job on the jet. Some pics of the Vulcan cannon firing shows a lot of fire blowing back.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
In all seriousness, do they get to paint a little balloon on the side of the cockpit? Does it count towards their "Ace" rating?
I was wondering about the ace count too, I think I would be embarrassed to have it count towards being an ace. The flying simulation I used to play as a kid counted German balloons.

Robert Engleheart

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Why they used a multi million dollar missile when a quick tap on the 40mm Cannon would do it... Does the F22 even have a gun?
What I heard was the balloon, at 60,000+ feet, was at or above the limit of an F22 and the plane would have to be close for the cannon whereas the missile could be fired from a much lower altitude.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
"How much does a 20mm cannon round cost?

Once you have your cannon if you ever want to fire it it will cost around $180,000 a minute, each round costing 25–30 dollars (plus tax) at 6,000 rounds per minute. How can I buy and fly a decommissioned military jet?"

It probably cost less to fire the sidewinder, due to the very expensive stealth paint job on the jet. Some pics of the Vulcan cannon firing shows a lot of fire blowing back.

I haven't looked it up so I don't know but I'd guess the cannon has 600 rounds or less
18,000 dollars. Historically fighter planes have only had a few seconds worth of ammo.. if my memory is working right the Supermarine Spitfire carried like 10 or 15 seconds worth of ammo.

Had to go look it up. F-22 carries 480 rounds. Almost 5 seconds worth of firing time.