March Matness!

Flymph

Steelhead
I realize Wrestling fans are greatly outnumbered by Basketball fans but just want to remind the few on this forum that the NCAA College Wrestling Championships start Thursday in Tulsa, OK. Penn State (Go Lions!) is again the favorite with 5 returning national champions.

Flymph

Steelhead
Great first round for Penn State with one close 3-5 loss out of 9 bouts. Some big upsets over eight of the top 10 ranked Wrestlers! Some of these kids came to Wrestle and ignored their opponents ranking! Six of the top 8 teams are out of the "Big 10" where Wrestling is at its best. Round 2 starts at 4:00 PT.

Penn State​
16.0​
NC State​
12.5​
Iowa​
12.0​
Northern Iowa​
10.0​
Ohio State​
10.0​
Minnesota​
9.0​
Missouri​
9.0​
Wisconsin​
9.0​
Nebraska​
8.5​

PhilR

Whale Shark
Forum Supporter
Can we get the mods to pin this thread?

(see what I did there?)

Flymph

Steelhead
Penn State extends their lead and will send 7 Wrestlers to the Semis. Iowa now 30 points behind in 2nd place will only advance 3 Wrestlers to the Semis. It's all about winning in the Semis where any team can score the most points in a tournament.
Penn State​
78.0​
Iowa​
48.0​
Cornell​
45.5​
Nebraska​
44.0​
Michigan​
39.0​

Flyfish23

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Yianni the 5th 4 timer.

Vito crushed 2X returning champ RBY.

3rd times a charm for KOT and he doubles up.

What a final this year!!!

Flymph

Steelhead
Good thing Penn State clinched before the finals only winning two out five finalists. Vito is one of the best wrestlers in the tournament and matched if not surpassed RBY's quickness. HWT from Air Force also impressive but not in the same league as Mason Paris of Mich.

Had high hopes for Sammy Sasso of Ohio State because he Wrestled for Nazareth HS my alma. Just out gunned by the albatross arms of Yanni. Look out for Sunny Sasso a 2-time PA champion brother of Sammy.

Great Finals year except for a certain former dignitary showing up which I won't spoil the moment with.

Flyfish23

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Wyatt Hendrickson sticking Cass in the consi finals was definitely impressive. He is a pinner for sure.

Vito was like a cobra....waiting...waiting....ligtning quick fatal strikes. RBY was no mongoose....

No doubt Penn State is a juggernaut that you must crush in the rounds prior to Semis. Their record in the semis is unreal.

I like Sammy Sasso but he is just unfortunate to be in the same weight class as Yianni and prior with AOC. I really though Sammy would beat AOC 2 years ago, it was his best chance to be a NC IMHO.

Overall, a great tourney, as always. Next year I want to be present. KC, MO is driving distance for me.