March crappie

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
I’ve been reading up on pre spawn crappie, and most articles talk about March when they start moving into shallow water. But....they also talk about water temps hitting 60 degrees......not around here! Not looking for hotspotting but any help
/info would be appreciated.

Smalma

Life of the Party
Here western Washington my experience is that our black crappie will spawn 1 to 3 weeks earlier than largemouth bass and maybe a tad earlier than smallmouth bass. That of course depends on the weather patterns and how quickly the water warms up.

On larger lakes with shallow bays, especially protected backwaters that might warm enough with a few nice days in the early spring seem to attract crappies though I don't know whether those fish are there to spawn or to "enjoy" that warmth. When I was at the U of W we would catch crappies in the back channels like those around Foster Island a month or so earlier in the main lake bays.

Curt

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
Thanks Curt, hopefully the Seeger effect won’t mess things on this side of the mountains......there’s a bunch of half ass crappie lakes around me that I’m going to target.

Cliff

Steelhead
Here western Washington my experience is that our black crappie will spawn 1 to 3 weeks earlier than largemouth bass and maybe a tad earlier than smallmouth bass. That of course depends on the weather patterns and how quickly the water warms up.

On larger lakes with shallow bays, especially protected backwaters that might warm enough with a few nice days in the early spring seem to attract crappies though I don't know whether those fish are there to spawn or to "enjoy" that warmth. When I was at the U of W we would catch crappies in the back channels like those around Foster Island a month or so earlier in the main lake bays.

Curt
Ditto on the Foster Island area. I have worked in the Montlake neighborhood for 25 years and we'd see crappies on redds very close to the same time as bluegills.

RCF

Life of the Party
If it is going to get as cold as predicted this week (19 degrees) on the wet side it will delay the warming of waters for sure...

Shad

Life of the Party
@BriGuy and I got into a bunch of what must have been pre-spawn or straight up spawners on a lake you know well last April, if memory serves (questionable). The shallow, weedy coves were good action for bluegill, a couple bass, the odd trout, and especially crappie. Not much of size, but BriGuy got a largemouth that was probably about 2 pounds. Standard, smallish trout streamers, cast to visible breaks in the weed lines, were getting bit regularly....

Like you, I doubt 60 degrees is the real threshold around here; most of our lakes don't get that warm until late May/June. That said, the warmer, the better has been my general experience, and I always try to find a way to fish on especially warm spring days. Gets the bigger bugs popping, which ignites the whole food chain. This spring is shaping up a lot like last year so far (cold), so I would expect the spawning to be on the later side, but we'll see....

I don't know any hot spots, but I can say that most lakes that have bluegill and bass seem to have a few crappie in the mix as well. I tend to catch more (on purpose) in the summer. They (and all spiny rays) are suckers for a pheasant tail soft hackle. I haven't tried it, but I bet a damsel or dragonfly nymph would be deadly in that weedy water they live in....

Shad

Life of the Party
I know the lake Shad.....I've caught some Bill Dance sized crappies there....but I want to invite a few home for a fish fry!!
They are delicious. The fillets are perfect fish and chips chunks. I used to like to do a lazy, summer day on a different, nearby lake, specifically to target various spiny rays for a fish fry. Filleting all those dinks is a lot of work, but they're all tasty... especially the crappie.

Shad

Life of the Party
You clean 'em and @Shad cooks 'em, then. That might work.
This could work!

My understanding is that there are some lakes a bit in @Bambooflyguy 's direction that have monster crappies. If you catch big ones, you get all the mercury with less fillet work. Just sayin'.....

And oh, yeah, the few big crappie I have caught had me thinking I was into big trout, so there is the fun factor....

Shad

Life of the Party
Keeping all for themselves......we all know how good they taste! Maybe they can join our fish fry........
Maybe... as long as they contribute tips or catch to the affair.

Tips, (fish) strips, or zipperlips... NOBODY rides for free!

Reactions: Zak