Lower Yakima

Steve Vaughn

Still learning
Forum Supporter
Anyone float and fish the section from Hyde launch to Duportal launch at the current flow (~2300 @ Kiona)? Have never tried this section. Last I fished the lower Yak regularly it was Snively to Twin Bridges, but I'm getting too old to haul myself and gear out at the latter. Have done Snively to Hyde and that is probably doable at these flows but any lower and it is a long haul in the heat.

Reactions: JS

Replicant

Steelhead
Have not. Was hoping someone else would chime in. I just floated the Bentucky boat launch, down to my place today, and while the volume was down, and the gage height was down, the water was still moving pretty fast. I didn't have much luck today either. Just a few dinky SMB's and one Pikeminnow, but I'm not complaining. I'm seeing more carp this year, than I have in the last few, but I can't fool them yet. 1656990111072.jpeg

Steve Vaughn

Still learning
Forum Supporter
Have not. Was hoping someone else would chime in. I just floated the Bentucky boat launch, down to my place today, and while the volume was down, and the gage height was down, the water was still moving pretty fast. I didn't have much luck today either. Just a few dinky SMB's and one Pikeminnow, but I'm not complaining. I'm seeing more carp this year, than I have in the last few, but I can't fool them yet. View attachment 21284

Yeah, pretty disappointed with the lack of feedback and assume there just aren't that many PNWFF folks floating these sections. As I stated in the OP, I have floated Snively to Twin Bridges a few times. It was usually at late season levels and with a float tube. I prefer floating with my pontoon and below Snively this is better at flows above 2000 cfs. The one time I did Snively to Hyde 7+ miles) it was a long day in the hot sun. I am just going to try Hyde to Duportail (3.5 miles) and see how it goes. That float will also allow my wife to easily run my shuttle.

JS

Mankie Old Chum
Forum Supporter
I have many, many times in the last 30 years. In a drift boat, raft and even a float tube lol. Great area to target prespawn females digging beds on the tail end of islands and structure.

That said, Snively to Hyde is better and more fun float to be honest.

Replicant

Steelhead
Yeah, pretty disappointed with the lack of feedback and assume there just aren't that many PNWFF folks floating these sections. As I stated in the OP, I have floated Snively to Twin Bridges a few times. It was usually at late season levels and with a float tube. I prefer floating with my pontoon and below Snively this is better at flows above 2000 cfs. The one time I did Snively to Hyde 7+ miles) it was a long day in the hot sun. I am just going to try Hyde to Duportail (3.5 miles) and see how it goes. That float will also allow my wife to easily run my shuttle.
I was in my kayak, and found it to be a tad frustrating. I prefer my pontoon boat, as it is lighter, slower, more stable and and easier to control in these faster waters. I'll save the kayak for later in the summer, when the water is slow, or the wind is blowing the wrong way, and when I actually need to get somewhere.