Lower Skagit March Opener

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
I tried fry patterns the first two trips but not this last one. Scott down at Confluence suggested working the top fly in the above photo....so on Monday's outing, I alternated between the top two flies. (by the way, that top white one is a heavy bugger. It pays to duck when ya hear it coming close....just say'n ;) )

Also FWIW, I didn't see any fry moving about so I stubbornly stuck with the larger patterns....hoping the next cast would make it all better. That said, I occasionally saw some smolt sized guys zipping around like their butts were on fire or sumpin' bigger was after them... which got me excited and kept me going but still there was no love for me.

On a side note, you don't think the occasional monster fly splash down scared the fish away....do ya??:unsure:

iu

And Matt....

....um, you've never seen me cast a two fly rig....I don't know how Tom does it... this is after my two fly attempt😬

iu

jk

Too bad the river is forecast to blow, otherwise I'd try it early next week

View attachment 64819

Mike d
Thanks for the detailed updates Mike.

Reactions: M_D

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
And Matt....
....um, you've never seen me cast a two fly rig....I don't know how Tom does it... this is after my two fly attempt😬

iu

Mike d
Enjoyed your posts. Got a kick out of this, I've made many a macramé project. Just slow down, fish a softer rod, and there's not much to it other than practice.

Last edited: