Low Lake Tactics

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
Started lake fishing this August with mixed results. Have found my best success stripping either leech or d-fly nymphs. I set up about 90ft off shore, cast to the weed line. I've measured the weed line depth at my local lakes and found it to be around 15ft. I then countdown to 15/20ft and slowly retrieve. I'd like to learn when and how to use other nymphs such as PT and Haresear. Do you fish them deep and slow or more shallow when you see surface activity? Secondly: can you strip chromies without an indicator? Are they only found on the bottom or at other depths? Thank for all of your guidance past and present.

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
I’ll speak up for the chromies.....this stage is rising to the surface to emerge. So they can be fished throughout the zones. Once in a blue moon I’ve sight casted a single chromie on a dry line and caught fish.
You really need to try indicator fishing! Especially when there are no other hatches like in winter......

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
I’ll speak up for the chromies.....this stage is rising to the surface to emerge. So they can be fished throughout the zones. Once in a blue moon I’ve sight casted a single chromie on a dry line and caught fish.
You really need to try indicator fishing! Especially when there are no other hatches like in winter......
I know I should try. I'm a fidgety guy and wonder if I'd have the patience. It's even a real callenge for me to strip as slow as I need to already.!

Aren't leech and d-fly nymphs active in the Winter?

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
There’s midges in most lakes, but not sure of the numbers of leeches and damsel/dragon flies. There’s ways of not boring indicator fishing, it’s as exciting as dry fly fishing! I’ll pm you.

Divad

Whitefish
A lot of shallow lowland lakes don’t have a thermocline, and given the hot late summer this yr and no rain doesn’t help. Research for underwater springs. A little fly lake here on the west side has I’d say 75% of the trout population near those springs right now. You could fish the lake and without coming near the springs you’d be set for a slow day. Feel the water temp as you move.

I usually don’t depend on leeches and damsels if the lake doesn’t have a big population of such. Don’t forget a crayfish pattern, those are 3 of my 4 larger stripped flies.

Also because I’m adamant to the tight line grab, I’ll throw chironomids, scuds and various emergers on my full sink with success. But these trout aren’t spread out like early summer or spring so helps to know where on the lake first to start.

Reactions: RCF

RCF

Life of the Party
If you are unfamiliar with a lake or wonder if there are dragonflies, find some reeds near shore and look for some shucks above the waterline left behind as they go from a nymph to an adult.

Dragonfly shuck:

1663444536966.png

1663447020759.png

Last edited:

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
I've noticed the difference in fish production depending on the shorelines of the urban lakes I fish. Heavy bulwark or fast drop offs that prevent the development of plants, the places where minnows hide and insects thrive, seem less productive than lakes with forest and weeded shores. Again the surface plants seem to stop at the 15ft depth mark. I usually have my best success in waters 15 to 30ft deep. I'm sure that will change as the weather cools and the lily pads disappear..

RCF

Life of the Party
A lot of shallow lowland lakes don’t have a thermocline, and given the hot late summer this yr and no rain doesn’t help. Research for underwater springs. A little fly lake here on the west side has I’d say 75% of the trout population near those springs right now. You could fish the lake and without coming near the springs you’d be set for a slow day. Feel the water temp as you move.

I usually don’t depend on leeches and damsels if the lake doesn’t have a big population of such. Don’t forget a crayfish pattern, those are 3 of my 4 larger stripped flies.

Also because I’m adamant to the tight line grab, I’ll throw chironomids, scuds and various emergers on my full sink with success. But these trout aren’t spread out like early summer or spring so helps to know where on the lake first to start.

Lots of good info here... In my experiences lily pads grow in water up to ~8' in depth. The advice about finding springs is right on. As @Wetswinger indicated, the lake fishes best in 15' to 30' depth. Depending on the lake it could be deep enough to have a thermocline - especially if there are springs. A westside lake I am very familiar with has a thermocline around 25' and another at 35'. That thermocline is important for sure. @Divad your observation fish schooling up near springs is right on and what I have experienced also. I do like to fish the water just above (before) where a drop-off starts and can be very productive. @Wetswinger is definitely observant and is getting dialed in - so to speak. To have learned that much in only a month of lake fishing is impressive!

If you have not read a couple of fishing stillwater books by @Tim Lockhart one should. Great info being shared...

Last edited: