Looking fro a 10 lb anchor

Dave Boyle

Life of the Party
Hi folks,

I’m looking for a lead pyramid anchor for my pram. These are surprisingly hard to find, or for me at least. Fly shops and 3 Rivers Marine had none.

Do any of you on the Seattle area have a 10-12 lb anchor that you don’t use…

If yes then please let me know. A big shout out to the awesome Jeff Dodd too who kindly gave me one anchor today.
Thanks man.

Dave

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Dave,
Does it have to be an anchor?
Would a 10-12 lb downrigger weight work?
If so, Outdoor Emporium should have those.
Another option in Seattle.
SF

Dave Boyle

Life of the Party
Dave,
Does it have to be an anchor?
Would a 10-12 lb downrigger weight work?
If so, Outdoor Emporium should have those.
Another option in Seattle.
SF
Thanks SF, I’ve taken that route before but I think a pyramid, especially at that weight will dig In better to sediment and stick. A while back I read some interesting thoughts from Brian Chan re pyramid vs mushroom anchors and the differences in how mushrooms tend to drag, ripping up the bottom and the weeds.

I like chironomid fishing and don’t want to be buggering around too much re changing anchoring if the wind is a little brisk and my anchors are not holding the boat stable.

Dave

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Thanks SF, I’ve taken that route before but I think a pyramid, especially at that weight will dig In better to sediment and stick. A while back I read some interesting thoughts from Brian Chan re pyramid vs mushroom anchors and the differences in how mushrooms tend to drag, ripping up the bottom and the weeds.

I like chironomid fishing and don’t want to be buggering around too much re changing anchoring if the wind is a little brisk and my anchors are not holding the boat stable.

Dave

Dave,
I’ve got a 10 lb pyramid you are welcome to borrow if you are trying to get out in your new boat. You can use it for as long as you want until you can source one.
Let me know and I’ll leave it out for you to pick up.
Brian

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
I’m using a goodwill ten pound weight plate. Holds pretty good

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Dave I make anchors out of a coffee or paint can, some concrete and an eyebolt. Easy, cheap and not a heartbreaker if you have to cut it. Added bonus, you can make it any weight you want by changing the size of the container. I got them for the front and back, of my driftboat, to use on Lakes. My daughters\ boyfriend uses them on his V hulled Lake Boat in Wyoming.

Happy Sunday.

Bob

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
10 lbs of steel chain. Non toxic, holds well, cleans easy, cheap.
Do you find that chain holds well on a weedy lake on a windy day? My mushroom anchors certainly do....but on occasion I've hauled up huge quantities of lake weed that's no doubt accumulated as I probably plowed a furrow down the lake bottom vegetation.

Guy Gregory

Semi-retired
Forum Supporter
Do you find that chain holds well on a weedy lake on a windy day? My mushroom anchors certainly do....but on occasion I've hauled up huge quantities of lake weed that's no doubt accumulated as I probably plowed a furrow down the lake bottom vegetation.
My southfork anchors pretty well with chain on a windy day, it sheds the veg and mud on the way up, i doubt it digs in as well as a mushroom or downrigger ball.

Jeff Dodd

Steelhead
Hi folks,

I’m looking for a lead pyramid anchor for my pram. These are surprisingly hard to find, or for me at least. Fly shops and 3 Rivers Marine had none.

If yes then please let me know. A big shout out to the awesome Jeff Dodd too who kindly gave me one anchor today.
Thanks man.

Dave

Anything to increase the odds of getting a seat in the new Journey!

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
Here's two anchors I've just made out of 1/2 gal. milk containers. The I-bolt has a fender washer on it. After it cures I'll clean it up and spray it with rubber under seal from Harbor Freight. Finished price $12/2. They wiegh #12 each and hopefully the square shape won't roll around.20230218_150444.jpg

Hi folks,

Thanks man.

Dave
I saw a post for lead anchors of any size on one of the gear sites I believe. It was a Seattle location I think. There's also a guy in Lake Stevens that does downrigger balls and possibly anchors. I got downrigger balls from him. Try John's Sporting Goods in Everett also. I would bet he know a source. Ask for Connor, John's nephew. Pretty sure that's his name.
Pretty vague I know. Sorry

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Here's two anchors I've just made out of 1/2 gal. milk containers. The I-bolt has a fender washer on it. After it cures I'll clean it up and spray it with rubber under seal from Harbor Freight. Finished price $12/2. They wiegh #12 each and hopefully the square shape won't roll around.View attachment 54612
I would think these won't roll too much except perhaps on a hard, sloping bottom. I've gotten rid of my mushroom anchors in various weights, they do roll on "hard, sloping bottoms". The worst anchor I've had is also my favorite: a steel rod (4" dia. X 3.5" long) - it rolls on hard bottoms but it really does dig into marl, mud, silt and weedy bottoms. For questionable lakes - (hard, sloping....) my 10 pound lead pyramid anchor is the best.