Looking for Tips to Get Started in Fly Tying

cdnred

Life of the Party
Did a qwik search here but didn't find much help. I've started to take an interest in learning fly tying and looking at what ours would recommend to get for starting out. For me, most of what I'd buy would be online so lacking in sales talk for advice. My thoughts were to get a multi package of threads with a variety of colors to cover all the options for different patterns or would it be best to buy individual spools..? Are there any preferred colors to get over others, same goes for hackle/feathers and other materials..? I see that some places offer starter packages for fly tying but I feel there may be a lot of waste with some things that are included never being used. Any suggested dealers that offer good deals on a variety of tying materials..?

I got a nice free fly tying kit from @JLT on this site to see first hand how I'll take to fly tying and have been watching some youtube videos to learn the essentials. From the kit that I got, the only thing I'd need to add is a thread bobbin to get me started. My main interest would be for bass, trout, carp and later salmon/steelhead. For now I'm covered with a vise but should I take a liking to it, I'd be looking to upgrade to a rotary vise like a Renzetti Traveler 2000 Vise or something along that line..

Attachments

• DSC01733.JPG
    DSC01733.JPG
    787.4 KB · Views: 8

cdnred

Life of the Party
Should have used a different search term, found some useful info here..

DFG

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Your title says NFR, but I think this is a perfect fishing topic!

Many local shops have tying classes. They're not essential but can help shortcut the learning process and start you off on the right foot.

When I started tying I can remember feeling the need to match the instructions to the letter. That meant sourcing oddball materials that I might only use once, whether they were vital or not. As I started gaining confidence and a stock of materials I started substituting things that were more readily available (and cheaper!) with little negative result. I also tied lots of flies I never used.

Tying your own flies is lots of fun and very satisfying. If your motivation is to save some money however, be ready for disappointment! You may save money in the long run assuming you enough of whatever prompts you to buy some specialized type of hackle, bead, dubbing, hair, etc.

Don't get me wrong - I really enjoy it and have no intentions f stopping. It is a great way to participate in fishing when you can't get to the river, and can help promote deeper understanding of the insects and their lifecycle.

One thing I'd recommend that you consider: making yourself a belly board - kind of a portable tray that can sit on your lap so you can tie while sitting on the couch with your family or outside on nice days. That way you're not banished to Coventry while you tie.

It's pretty satisfying to catch fish on flies I've tied. I wish you the same satisfaction!

ABITNF

Steelhead
Select six flies you like to fish and buy the material to tie them. Once you can tie them well, you'll probably be able to use the abilities you have achieved to tie many other flies.

Buying a lot of stuff that comes with a few of the things you want isn't a wise financial choice. Often you'll find stuff available on Craigslist that looks good but be careful. Avoid cluttering up your space with stuff you'll never use. I know because I have a 50 year collection of this. There needs to be a Tying Materials Anonymous group for people like me.

It's a very rewarding pastime and it connects us to fly fishing when we can't be fly fishing. Best of luck!

cdnred

Life of the Party
Your title says NFR, but I think this is a perfect fishing topic!

Many local shops have tying classes. They're not essential but can help shortcut the learning process and start you off on the right foot.

When I started tying I can remember feeling the need to match the instructions to the letter. That meant sourcing oddball materials that I might only use once, whether they were vital or not. As I started gaining confidence and a stock of materials I started substituting things that were more readily available (and cheaper!) with little negative result. I also tied lots of flies I never used.

Tying your own flies is lots of fun and very satisfying. If your motivation is to save some money however, be ready for disappointment! You may save money in the long run assuming you enough of whatever prompts you to buy some specialized type of hackle, bead, dubbing, hair, etc.

Don't get me wrong - I really enjoy it and have no intentions f stopping. It is a great way to participate in fishing when you can't get to the river, and can help promote deeper understanding of the insects and their lifecycle.

One thing I'd recommend that you consider: making yourself a belly board - kind of a portable tray that can sit on your lap so you can tie while sitting on the couch with your family or outside on nice days. That way you're not banished to Coventry while you tie.

It's pretty satisfying to catch fish on flies I've tied. I wish you the same satisfaction!
Fixed the NFR, LOL. Thanks for the tips, much appreciated. I'm thinking that tying flies will make me better at fly fishing with giving me a better understanding of what it takes to catch fish. Like everyone says, catching a fish on a fly that you've tied will give you a lot of satisfaction in the end..

cdnred

Life of the Party
Select six flies you like to fish and buy the material to tie them. Once you can tie them well, you'll probably be able to use the abilities you have achieved to tie many other flies.

Buying a lot of stuff that comes with a few of the things you want isn't a wise financial choice. Often you'll find stuff available on Craigslist that looks good but be careful. Avoid cluttering up your space with stuff you'll never use. I know because I have a 50 year collection of this. There needs to be a Tying Materials Anonymous group for people like me.

It's a very rewarding pastime and it connects us to fly fishing when we can't be fly fishing. Best of luck!
That was my thoughts as well, I didn't want to over indulge with buying a kit at first. Plenty of time to acquire what's needed along the way. The trouble with kits are that the material is usually cheap and a lot of it will never get used..

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
1-lessons.jpg

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
" get a multi package of threads with a variety of colors to cover all the options for different patterns or would it be best to buy individual spools..? Are there any preferred colors to get over others, same goes for hackle/feathers and other materials..?"

I would get individual spools of thread. I could be content with Danville's 6/0 waxed nylon in olive (it is a dark brownish olive). Black is good, too. Or, you could get a spool of white thread and a selection of colored permanent markers. If you get into spinning hair, you'll want heavier thread.

For materials, I like natural materials in their natural colors the best. A full hare's mask will let you create dubbing in a range of colors.

I agree with the advice above. Pick a pattern and get the materials for that pattern, then tie a couple of dozen. Repeat with a new pattern. You will build up a collection of materials and your tying skills at the same time.

It's a great hobby!

cdnred

Life of the Party
" get a multi package of threads with a variety of colors to cover all the options for different patterns or would it be best to buy individual spools..? Are there any preferred colors to get over others, same goes for hackle/feathers and other materials..?"

I would get individual spools of thread. I could be content with Danville's 6/0 waxed nylon in olive (it is a dark brownish olive). Black is good, too. Or, you could get a spool of white thread and a selection of colored permanent markers. If you get into spinning hair, you'll want heavier thread.

For materials, I like natural materials in their natural colors the best. A full hare's mask will let you create dubbing in a range of colors.

I agree with the advice above. Pick a pattern and get the materials for that pattern, then tie a couple of dozen. Repeat with a new pattern. You will build up a collection of materials and your tying skills at the same time.

It's a great hobby!
I agree, best to take it slow with just a few patterns at first..

ABITNF

Steelhead
That was my thoughts as well, I didn't want to over indulge with buying a kit at first. Plenty of time to acquire what's needed along the way. The trouble with kits are that the material is usually cheap and a lot of it will never get used..
Very much so. If you have a fly club nearby consider becoming a member. These are usually a great resource.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Tying classes at the local shop...mine were from Rich Younger, known for both tying skills and sense of humor...the laughs around the table during weekly lessons was alone worth the attendance..

Dennisoft

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
A bit of thread hijacking, but does anybody know if Emerald Water will be bringing back their tying classes anytime soon?

EmergingFisher

Life of the Party
All of the above. Tightline/Orvis videos are great, also check out Barry Ord Clarke and Davie McPhail.

Just know you’re gonna need a lot more storage and funds then you think! It’s a great hobby and you learn a lot.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
buy a hand vac and keep it next to the tying bench for clean up, that way you won't see the cats and dogs wandering around the house with marabou and flash strands in their coats..lol

cdnred

Life of the Party
buy a hand vac and keep it next to the tying bench for clean up, that way you won't see the cats and dogs wandering around the house with marabou and flash strands in their coats..lol
I can see where that might bring up @Old406Kid's point of testing the strength of your marriage.. :ROFLMAO: