Looking for ideas for a guided trip

atomic dog

Steelhead
I have been tasked with coming up with some ideas for a family fishing trip. No set dates, sometime between now and through the summer I guess. There will most likely be five of us, and while we all fly fish, most of the group are beginners at best, so I think gear fishing would be the most prudent option.

Thing is, I have no idea what a good guided day would look like. I'm open to salmon, steelhead, or anything else that would be a good time. I might even see if there are some bass fishing options here on the East side of the state. Just want to have a fun day of fishing.

We are spread out from the Tri-Cities to Tacoma and Centralia, so someone will be driving regardless of what we do. I'm sort of ruling out the ocean as the last time I tried that (probably 35 years ago now) I spent most of my time chumming the fish over the side.

So...If you could pick a guided day of fishing in WA for five people, what would you consider?

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I have been tasked with coming up with some ideas for a family fishing trip. No set dates, sometime between now and through the summer I guess. There will most likely be five of us, and while we all fly fish, most of the group are beginners at best, so I think gear fishing would be the most prudent option.

Thing is, I have no idea what a good guided day would look like. I'm open to salmon, steelhead, or anything else that would be a good time. I might even see if there are some bass fishing options here on the East side of the state. Just want to have a fun day of fishing.

We are spread out from the Tri-Cities to Tacoma and Centralia, so someone will be driving regardless of what we do. I'm sort of ruling out the ocean as the last time I tried that (probably 35 years ago now) I spent most of my time chumming the fish over the side.

So...If you could pick a guided day of fishing in WA for five people, what would you consider?
Is it limited just to WA? Because you could have some very cool experiences in the NW corner of Oregon. There's a few fly shops in that region with guide outfits that can show you some very cool stuff.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Book a trip out on the sound in August for silvers and humpies.
The return forecasts come out in late Feb or early March. If there is a big humpy return, there might be a 2 + 2 limit (two silvers and two humpies). It’s been awhile since that happened but it is a possibility.
Just another option to consider. Good luck with the planning.
SF

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Just realized this is in gear fishing dirt bags 😁

There's some NW Washington stuff that can be a whole lot of fun. I know a guide up there. Someone I grew up with. He does some neat trips for all kinds of stuff.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
I think a walleye trip on the Columbia Gorge sounds perfect.. sit in a chair and let the guide do the work.. plus yummy.. and those that need fly fix. Have options nearby after a day on the boat..

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I think a walleye trip on the Columbia Gorge sounds perfect.. sit in a chair and let the guide do the work.. plus yummy.. and those that need fly fix. Have options nearby after a day on the boat..
Once upon a time, I'd have agreed. But the Columbia Gorge walleye fishery is kinda shitty the last few years. There's still fish, but not enough to make a guided trip bill worth it. McNary Dam has a lot more fish than the Gorge.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Once upon a time, I'd have agreed. But the Columbia Gorge walleye fishery is kinda shitty the last few years. There's still fish, but not enough to make a guided trip bill worth it. McNary Dam has a lot more fish than the Gorge.
Interesting. I hadn't heard that..

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
Lake Chelan offers a wide variety of options for anytime of the year, smallmouth, lake trout, cutties, chinook, etc... Really a great place to go with the family, especially mid week.

atomic dog

Steelhead
Well damn. I dropped in here to the dirtbag forum to make a post about something else and saw this thread. I can't believe I never came back and updated it.

I ended up booking a walleye trip with Stotts Fishing for a day last August, we fished downstream from McNary out of Plymouth. Our entire group of five had a fantastic time. It was an eater fishing trip and not a trophy outing, and we caught the hell out of the walleye and had some decent smallmouth in the mix, too. Took home several gallon bags of filets which made for some great fish fries.

The goal of the trip was to get my Dad on some fish. He had been on a couple west side guided salmon and steelhead trips, but he had never actually caught any fish on those trips. Afterward he said he would definitely do it again.

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Yup, that is what I would have recommended. There is good walleye fishing around the Tri Cities in the spring as well.

PnwChrome

Fishing with Big Mike
Forum Supporter

I run some really fun family trips for walleye in the Columbia gorge if you want more information or to just knock around some ideas feel free to leave me a Pm