Little Update

Kado

Steelhead
Nick, glad you're on the way to better health. There will probably be some times where it is tough or can be easily frustrating to stay with a certain lifestyle, but you've always demonstrated a discipline that is admirable. Just have to remember the great times in the FUTURE you will enjoy more with your family as a result of sticking with it.
Best wishes and hopes you'll get back guiding soon.
Mark

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
Stick with the plan, and get back to it soon Nick.

Looking forward to you getting back out there, and reading your fishing reports once again.

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
We were just talking about you, haven't seen Nick post in a long time!
So glad to hear you're making progress. I'm sure you are going to put in all of your effort into this just like how you go all out on fishing. We need you this August to get us into tuna again!

skyrise

Steelhead
Nick, stick with it. Hope the best for you. My brother who recently retired from 35+ years in the Tow Boat Industry had some health issues in last 6 + years. But he stuck it out. Wishing it all goes well with you.

Greg Price

Steelhead
Nick, I have caught type II diabetes since I was 40. Like others have said , exercise seems to help me as much as meds. My current condition is a need a hernia operation, but my A1c too high. Meds and diet not cutting it. I may sign up for wed night mountain bike racing to get myself motivated to ride bike to work. At 60 you never know what can happen with uncontrolled blood sugars.

Bagman

Steelhead
Now I feel like crap for dumping on you my little problem. take care of yourself. Drop me PM and let me know when would be a good time to drop by and BS. TAke care of yourself, your the only one that can.

Bruce Baker

Steelhead
Thanks for sharing your story with us and I am glad to know you are doing well and on the mend. I do look forward to seeing your future posts.

Chris Bellows

Steelhead
Sorry to hear about the break in guiding but I hope during the times when you’re going stir crazy not being on the water and working that you can consider this a blessing. You can change your trajectory to live a longer life. This means more time with loved ones and you’ll also get to be running a boat long enough to become the oldest captain in port.

As someone who made major lifestyle changes to improve my health (used to weigh 300+, now 155) I know how hard it is and the sacrifices one needs to make. If I could do it, someone as hard working as you has got it.

Skagittarius

Steelhead
Since moving to FL I don't check in here often but I'm sorry to see this. I learned a ton from Nick (and Chris). Get well soon Nick!

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Thanks for sharing this news Nick. Who'da' thunk your license to work would be tied to diabetes? I'm glad to learn you're working hard on getting healthy. I hope to hear that you're back on the water soon.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Little update on progress...

Had a doctor appointment this morning to check progress. My A1C was down to 7.2 and I have lost just under 50 lbs since my last appointment. My doctor was super impressed. Was nice to get a positive reaction from a doctor for a change lol

Since my A1C came in below 8 I now have to wait 90 days and take it again. So I have an appointment Aug 16 and as long as that is below 8 I will be eligible to get my license back at that point.

Really feeling incredible physically. There has been a ton of change to my body the last several months. All of the change has been improvements but man it's a lot to process so quickly.

Anyway, just wanted to let you all know where things are at. Also wanted to thank all of you who have reached out, checked in, provided support etc. It sure means a lot!

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Little update on progress...

Had a doctor appointment this morning to check progress. My A1C was down to 7.2 and I have lost just under 50 lbs since my last appointment. My doctor was super impressed. Was nice to get a positive reaction from a doctor for a change lol

Since my A1C came in below 8 I now have to wait 90 days and take it again. So I have an appointment Aug 16 and as long as that is below 8 I will be eligible to get my license back at that point.

Really feeling incredible physically. There has been a ton of change to my body the last several months. All of the change has been improvements but man it's a lot to process so quickly.

Anyway, just wanted to let you all know where things are at. Also wanted to thank all of you who have reached out, checked in, provided support etc. It sure means a lot!
Awesome man…

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
Keep it up, Nick!

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
The most significant reward from this journey is not getting yourself back on the water but the extra years you will have on planet Earth. They're few and all we are privileged to get.