Little Update

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Hey all, haven't been around the forum in quite a while. Life has kinda hit me in the gut the last few months and I've been kinda laying low, but been thinking a lot about this place and thought I'd hop on and give a little update on what I've been dealing with.

Its a bit of a long story but I'll try to keep it short. Over the winter I have been in the process of renewing my captains license, as required every five years. I won't bore you with the details but ultimately I discovered that due to high blood sugar levels I was unable to complete the medical side of my renewal and as such my license expired a few weeks ago. So for the time being I am not working as a captain.

This isn't a permanent thing, as there is a process for getting medically certified with diabetes. Basically the CG requires some info from my doctor, an eye exam, and the biggest hurdle being that I have to provide 2 A1C test results, separated by 90 days, both showing an A1C less than 8.0

I'm learning a lot about this as I go, but basically an A1C test shows what your blood sugar has been doing over the last 60-90 days. I guess it's like an average of your blood sugar level in a sense.

When I began this process I had no idea how big of a deal diabetes is to the CG, nor any clue just how out of control my blood glucose levels were. When I originally saw the doc my blood sugar was at 269 with an A1C of 11. Quite high. Since then I've been on some aggressive meds, adjusted my diet, quit drinking, and have lost over 30 lbs. As of this morning my blood glucose was down to 161 and I'll be going in for a new A1C in the very near future. Once I get my A1C below 8.0, I will then have to wait 90 days and pass another A1C test, and then I can get renewed.

Needless to say this has been a pretty shitty time for me. Losing my captains license, even temporarily, was a serious hit to my life in many ways. It hasn't been the easiest period of my life, but I'm getting through it. Big picture health wise this is all going to be a good thing, as while I knew I was technically type 2, I had no idea just how out of control my body was and as my health has improved I've noticed VAST physical changes. Turns out my sugar levels were so high for so long that I was experiencing a lot of symptoms that I just didn't know were symptoms. I just kinda thought it was normal. So as my numbers have dropped I've noticed these amazing improvements in my health and that's definitely a great thing. Physically I haven't felt this good since I was a kid. One crazy benefit of the new meds I'm on is a side effect of weight loss. This medicine essentially turns off the part of my brain that craves food. It's just crazy. I'm the lightest I've been in many years and it's not slowing down. As someone who has been overweight my entire life and constantly dealt with food issues, it's a pretty amazing medicine.

So, obviously I am not running in Westport right now, nor am I guiding the sound. I did my last sound trip near the end of March, right before my license expired, and for the most part have been just laying low and finding ways to cope with all this change since. This is all just temporary, and I'm trying my best to focus on that. Mark found a guy who is covering for me in Westport with the hope being that I'm able to get my license back in August or so and take back over from there.

Well this still ended up pretty long but I tried to keep it short. I know I left some stuff out, just wanted to cover the basics and give you all an update. I'm not done, not by a long shot, but just temporarily sidelined. Moving forward there's lots I still don't know, but just working through it as best I can. My upcoming A1C test will go a long ways towards providing a timeline for my return so I'll know a lot more after that.

While I haven't logged in here in a spell, many of you have reached out via other forms of contact and I sure do appreciate all the words of support from everyone. This situation sucks in many ways, but I'm gonna get through it and be back better than ever

Nick

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Nick you're a bad ass and your absence was definitely noticed.

Shitty to hear about all that's happened but I'm very glad to hear your health is improving as much as it is. To me that's the most important part.

Looking forward to the post about your new Captains license!

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
Whoa, Nick - that's a lot to deal with. It's great to hear that your health is on the right track, though! I guess sometimes a kick in the pants moves us in the right direction whether we want to or not.

You're my favorite guide - by a lot - so selfishly, I'm absolutely pulling for you to get past these speed bumps, get recertified, and come back as a lean, mean fishing machine!

Glad you caught us up - hang in there!

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
So sorry to hear all this, but on the upside sounds like things will definitely be turning for the good overall - good luck on this new part of your journey. I'm sure once you are back there will be no shortage of members wanting to book again with you.

nwbobber

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Good for you, to catch this and deal with it. My mom had type 2, and lived to a ripe old age of 92. She took it serious and took really good care of herself. I hope you will also, much more life to enjoy ahead.

M_D

Top Notch Mediocre Flyfisher
Forum Supporter
Holy Crap Nick. I know we’ve never met but you’ve been a bit of an inspiration on both this and the old forum.

In my mind I’m currently reliving many of the posts you made when you were in the process if giving up your ‘secure’ job for something you’d always wanted to do….guiding.

Not many people would give up the sure thing as you did and make it work.

Seems like there have been a lot of shit sandwiches being dished out lately….sorry you got one of them. But it also sounds like the end result is gonna be good in the long run.

Stay strong and maybe I’ll join you for a tuna trip sometime 👍

Mike d

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
So glad to hear you are in fact ok, and have a plan in place to get where you would like to go. Your content and insights have definitely been missed!

I hope you have found time to fish for yourself while the professional side is delayed.

Divad

Whitefish
Nick, my dad recently went through some blood sugar issues before surgery and one of the best things he has done is buy the FreeStyle Libre patch.

It helped him change his eating habits and timing, while providing real time updates to your bloodsugar/A1C. They aren't cheap, some insurance partially cover it. I would recommend using it for two weeks though, my sister (nurse) did who is predisposed to the same habits as my dad and she uses one every couple months now to check the data. Again costly, but highly worth it to get yourself into a good rythm.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Hey all, haven't been around the forum in quite a while. Life has kinda hit me in the gut the last few months and I've been kinda laying low, but been thinking a lot about this place and thought I'd hop on and give a little update on what I've been dealing with.

Its a bit of a long story but I'll try to keep it short. Over the winter I have been in the process of renewing my captains license, as required every five years. I won't bore you with the details but ultimately I discovered that due to high blood sugar levels I was unable to complete the medical side of my renewal and as such my license expired a few weeks ago. So for the time being I am not working as a captain.

This isn't a permanent thing, as there is a process for getting medically certified with diabetes. Basically the CG requires some info from my doctor, an eye exam, and the biggest hurdle being that I have to provide 2 A1C test results, separated by 90 days, both showing an A1C less than 8.0

I'm learning a lot about this as I go, but basically an A1C test shows what your blood sugar has been doing over the last 60-90 days. I guess it's like an average of your blood sugar level in a sense.

When I began this process I had no idea how big of a deal diabetes is to the CG, nor any clue just how out of control my blood glucose levels were. When I originally saw the doc my blood sugar was at 269 with an A1C of 11. Quite high. Since then I've been on some aggressive meds, adjusted my diet, quit drinking, and have lost over 30 lbs. As of this morning my blood glucose was down to 161 and I'll be going in for a new A1C in the very near future. Once I get my A1C below 8.0, I will then have to wait 90 days and pass another A1C test, and then I can get renewed.

Needless to say this has been a pretty shitty time for me. Losing my captains license, even temporarily, was a serious hit to my life in many ways. It hasn't been the easiest period of my life, but I'm getting through it. Big picture health wise this is all going to be a good thing, as while I knew I was technically type 2, I had no idea just how out of control my body was and as my health has improved I've noticed VAST physical changes. Turns out my sugar levels were so high for so long that I was experiencing a lot of symptoms that I just didn't know were symptoms. I just kinda thought it was normal. So as my numbers have dropped I've noticed these amazing improvements in my health and that's definitely a great thing. Physically I haven't felt this good since I was a kid. One crazy benefit of the new meds I'm on is a side effect of weight loss. This medicine essentially turns off the part of my brain that craves food. It's just crazy. I'm the lightest I've been in many years and it's not slowing down. As someone who has been overweight my entire life and constantly dealt with food issues, it's a pretty amazing medicine.

So, obviously I am not running in Westport right now, nor am I guiding the sound. I did my last sound trip near the end of March, right before my license expired, and for the most part have been just laying low and finding ways to cope with all this change since. This is all just temporary, and I'm trying my best to focus on that. Mark found a guy who is covering for me in Westport with the hope being that I'm able to get my license back in August or so and take back over from there.

Well this still ended up pretty long but I tried to keep it short. I know I left some stuff out, just wanted to cover the basics and give you all an update. I'm not done, not by a long shot, but just temporarily sidelined. Moving forward there's lots I still don't know, but just working through it as best I can. My upcoming A1C test will go a long ways towards providing a timeline for my return so I'll know a lot more after that.

While I haven't logged in here in a spell, many of you have reached out via other forms of contact and I sure do appreciate all the words of support from everyone. This situation sucks in many ways, but I'm gonna get through it and be back better than ever

Nick

Great to hear from you Nick. Sorry to hear of the health issues but really happy to hear you’re getting things under control.

I hope you’re getting out and enjoying a little time for yourself on the sound in the meantime. Fishing for pleasure can be the best medicine.

Selfishly I hope you get back to guiding ASAP because tuna trips on your boat are highlights of my year. Plus, if your still hanging around here when the coho show up, they’ll be a lot less around for us to catch :).

Get better - hope to see you out on the water sometime!

VAGABOND

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Sounds like quite a wake up call Nick. Glad you’ve turned the corner and now full steam ahead. Now that you’ve had the initial physical and mental tune up, both your body and your mind will tell you in subtle ways the correct path forward. Good Luck going forward and take care of yourself

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
My wife recently had to track her glucose levels as a precaution …what an eye opener it is to discover how certain foods you always ate has an adverse affect on your overall health. I am really hoping you get back on track (I am sure you will) and look forward to hooking my first tuna on a fly on your boat …stay the course man!…

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
Glad you're getting this resolved, Nick. You're in my prayers.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Good to hear from you Nick. All the best and hoping you get this turned around. On the plus side, you’re lucky to have learned about it before it got worse and caused any permanent damage. Still sucks though to have to go through it.

Modem medicine is amazing and I’m confident you will get healthy again!

Andy

BriGuy

Life of the Party
Sorry to hear about what you're going through. The bright side is that you caught it and are doing all the right things to reverse it. You're seeing the changes that prove it. Keep on keepin' on.

If you aren't already getting exercise, please add that to your routine. You didn't mention that in your post. It doesn't have to be hard, either. Walking is great physically and mentally (especially mentally). It helped pull me out of a funk a year or two ago.

Take care and best wishes.

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter

Nick
Thanks for checking in Nick. I'm glad you're taking care of your health issues.
Without good health life can get rough in a hurry. Keep up the good work buddy.