Little Chief Smokers

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
That element in the packaging looks like the element that was in my little chief. Just pulls out and plugs back in as I recall. That other element doesn’t look right at all. I wonder if someone tried to McGyver an element out of some other device.
The one in the package looks like the same type in all the electric smokers I've owned.

nwbobber

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I used one of these for years for fish and jerky. I never did any poultry in one, and I wouldn't unless the bird was cooked first. The suggestion about building a box to insulate the outside of the box was necessary anytime I used it except maybe warm summer days. Using the box it comes in is easiest but cutting cardboard and ductaping it together would work just as well.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I used one of these for years for fish and jerky. I never did any poultry in one, and I wouldn't unless the bird was cooked first. The suggestion about building a box to insulate the outside of the box was necessary anytime I used it except maybe warm summer days. Using the box it comes in is easiest but cutting cardboard and ductaping it together would work just as well.
My Dad used the box in cooler weather. Worked fine.

Cliff

Steelhead
That element in the packaging looks like the element that was in my little chief. Just pulls out and plugs back in as I recall. That other element doesn’t look right at all. I wonder if someone tried to McGyver an element out of some other device.
You may be right. I have an email in to the company and hopefully I'll hear from them tomorrow. I'm starting to think someone may have been disappointed in the heat from the original element and tried to make a more powerful one.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
You've probably already been here but if not I hope it helps.
I keep my Little Chief in it's original box for the extra insulation factor and also cover it with an old furniture pad.
The LC elements are only 250 watts so a cheap, adjustable electric hot plate might be an alternative.

Cliff

Steelhead
You've probably already been here but if not I hope it helps.
I keep my Little Chief in it's original box for the extra insulation factor and also cover it with an old furniture pad.
The LC elements are only 250 watts so a cheap, adjustable electric hot plate might be an alternative.
Thanks very much.

Shad

Life of the Party
I have found those elements to be "finicky." Every element I've had has been a little different. The original was probably a little cooler than I would like; it took 8 hours to soft smoke salmon, and if you wanted it "cooked" more, you'd have to go to the oven (as mentioned, 225 is a good temp, and it doesn't take long). The next one was a little warmer, and it would hard smoke "fully cook" fish within the same amount of time. The one I have now runs HOT. I have to be careful not to let it go too far. I like the time savings, but I think a little slower would be ideal.

I've smoked a lot of salmon in my Little Chief over the years. I'm kind of tired of the stuff, but friends and family love it, so I still smoke a coho or two most years. Like others said, the brine and a thorough drying process (to form the pellicule) are key to a good outcome.

I've tried lots of different brines, but the old standby is a really simple one my friend taught me: 4:1 brown sugar to salt. That's it. A lot of people go 3:1, and that's fine, but if you leave the fish in a brine at that ratio for more than a few hours, it tends to get very salty. Some folks like that; depends on taste. With the 4:1 ratio, you can leave it overnight or even for a few days without over-salting the fish; a nice bonus that allows you to break up the process to fit your schedule. The brown sugar gives the finished product an attractive, "rocket red" color.

My process is to cut the fish into whatever size chunks you like, skin on, then thoroughly cover the chunks with the brine in a container and refrigerate, overnight or up to a few days. Remove the fish from the brine, rinse it well, and place it on a towel, and pat the chunks as dry as you can. I like to put a little coarse, black pepper on the chunks at this point; a personal preference. For drying, I like to put the fish on the smoker racks and put the racks in the frame. Then, I position the frame in a cool place, in front of a box fan, on low, and leave it there until the chunks form that lovely, shiny pellicule that tells you it's time to smoke. This usually takes a few hours; don't rush it. Finally, put the frame in the smoker, load your fuel pan (I use apple and alder), and plug it in. I use 2-3 pans of fuel, depending on the thickness of the fillets.

Lots of good advice in here. I think I'm going to try the maple syrup deal @Jojo mentioned... that sounds delicious.

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
I gave my nearly fifty year old Little Chief to my son a while back. It’s been through at least two heating elements but is still going strong.

I bought a new one with the front loader door, but have found that I prefer the old version with the top load better as I think it’s easier and more practical to load.

I was surprised the new one had instructions to not use the box as an insulator due to fire hazard. The old original instructions recommended it. Maybe there was a hazard, but most likely legal counsel advised against it. I always used the box to insulate it and never had a problem.

Here’s a couple of pages from the new manual on identifying which element you need to order, including the phone number.

I’m smoking a Coho as we speak.
I prefer the original traditional recipe 1/2 cup sugar (plain or brown), 1/2 cup non iodized Salt and one quart water soaked overnight. Then 2 or 3 pans of strictly Alder chips.
BTW you might ask them to send the new manual as it’s much more extensive and full of new recipes for all kinds of game including birds, etc.

9715C0AA-A678-4120-A8BE-6D5918F77FAF.jpegF16E5FF4-0CD3-48F7-8D89-BDF2B38F0925.jpeg4F56CB05-7352-4CB9-B33F-7D663A94AA7B.jpeg

Guy Gregory

Semi-retired
Forum Supporter
Guys thanks again, especially you JoJo for attaching the instructions, very helpful.

I tried the smoker yesterday for most of the afternoon, not cooking anything, but just trying to burn a pan of chips (I didn't completely fill the pan). The element got hot, but apparently not hot enough to burn chips. They're supposed to burn and create smoke, correct? The smoker itself got hot and I could feel heat, but saw no smoke. I ran it for about 4 hours. At one point I tried to dampen the chips just a little with a few droplets of water. It was a warm day and no wind. I'm using an old bag Little Chief chips & chunks fuel that came with the smoker. Maybe it's too old? Should I try brand new chips? If that doesn't work maybe buy a new element?

Thanks gain,
Cliff
She's shot.

It must toast the wood and make smoke.

Over here on the dry side we wrap ours in insulation (or keep in the box) so we get hotter smoke.

No, it doesn't do birds. Use your bbq for that. Get a thermometer and use it. Check the numerous smoke related websites for guidance.

You'll find you like your turkey best if, once thawed, you wet brine it overnight in a solution of 1 cup kosher salt/1 gallon water. Then rinse, season, smoke. Yessir.

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
She's shot.

It must toast the wood and make smoke.

Over here on the dry side we wrap ours in insulation (or keep in the box) so we get hotter smoke.

No, it doesn't do birds. Use your bbq for that. Get a thermometer and use it. Check the numerous smoke related websites for guidance.

You'll find you like your turkey best if, once thawed, you wet brine it overnight in a solution of 1 cup kosher salt/1 gallon water. Then rinse, season, smoke. Yessir.
You can use these smokers to smoke birds. There’s eleven different recipes just for birds in the manual that it comes with.

You’re right in that you don’t “cook” birds in these smokers though, that happens either before or after smoking according to the recipes they provide.

Here’s some of today’s Salmon… it turned out pretty good.

BC0CD0B1-A541-49D2-9812-573026C82E42.jpeg

Cliff

Steelhead
Thanks again guy, great advice and I appreciate it. Greg, that is fantastic looking salmon! I hope to hear from the company this week on the goofy element.
Cliff

Cliff

Steelhead
Ok, I heard back from the company. Looks like I'll have to look for another Little Chief smoker.
Cliff
"That element dates back over 30 years ago. We no longer have that available or anything that will retro fit".

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Daggum Cliff,

Total Drag. That said...spend the money on a new one, you wont regret it.

Be safe.

Bob