Lining an Echo Boost Blue

aseredick

Freshly Spawned
I’m hoping that the some of you with a bit more experience can offer some advice.
I picked up a 9’ 8wt Echo Boost Blue recently. I’m trying to match an Airflo line to the rod. I haven’t been able to find grain recommendations for the rod or the lines, and at $150CAN a pop, I don’t really want to get it wrong. Does the boost blue benefit from over-lining? Or is it happy with a matched line.
If it matters I’m planning to use the rod primarily to cast and retrieve in frog water and pools for coho, and for staging pinks and coho off the beach. If anybody has thoughts on a specific Airflo line for these fisheries I’d love to hear it.

G_Smolt

Legend
Does boost blue benefit from over-lining? Or is it happy with a matched line.
I think Boost Blues are happiest in the wild, where they are free to roam and graze...

Srsly tho, the rod doesn't care what line is on it. It's a tool, nothing more, nothing less. I like(d) the 7wt Forge on my 7wt Boosts, although with the recent "interesting" product moves by AirFlo, I'm not sure if that line is available. I overline the Boost by 1 line for guiding, as my guests have a wide range of casting experience. It's far easier for a proficient caster to "ease off the gas" than it is for an intermediate caster to speed up without their technique going to hell in a handbasket.

The boost is a fast rod with a very powerful butt and a soft tip. It handles a very wide grain range, and I think getting it dialed in for your stroke/style is gonna take throwing a couple different lines on it and picking which one you like best.

aseredick

Freshly Spawned
Thank you for your response, @G_Smolt (and to those that agreed). I don’t run into many fly anglers on my local flows/local shops so forums like this are really helpful to point me in the right direction.
I was hoping for a “this line for that rod for that fishery” answer, but I didn’t think to include me/my casting in the equation. Kind of a significant oversight. 😄
I picked up an 8wt Airflo Power Taper floating line. I’ll play around with that for a while. Hopefully I can figure it out before the coho start showing up.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Line the rod to your fishing application, not the rod. The rod doesn't care that much. It'll throw any type of line out there so long as the line is suited to your casting stroke (which we don't know much about here) and the type of fly on the end.

For the fisheries you mention, that line should do the job just fine I think.

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Line the rod to your fishing application, not the rod. The rod doesn't care that much. It'll throw any type of line out there so long as the line is suited to your casting stroke (which we don't know much about here) and the type of fly on the end.

For the fisheries you mention, that line should do the job just fine I think.
Yeah, but what reel would balance that rod the best?