Like a box of chocolates

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
After a long day at the keyboard I wanted to head out for a bit of fishing to unwind and get some exercise.
I knew it was going to be a weird evening when I unhooked my 3 fly rig FROM THE KEEPER and flipped it into the water and pulled a double of LMB sitting at the launch. There were more to 8" but I just can't find the grownups.
20220909_launchdouble.jpg
I fished a thin mint type up top, a leech in the middle and the black bugger on point just was a winner.
20220909_flies.jpg
After a little looking around, I started to find different schools of crappie. This medium size crappie and a few others it's size were in the first school I came across. There seem to be 3 size classes, each hanging with their year class I'm guessing.
20220909_med_crap.jpg
I even found a few feisty trout now that the waters cooling off.
20220909_feisty_trouts.jpg
I got a kick out of these. Must of pulled a dozen in as many casts. I'm not sure what it is.
20220909_unknown.jpg
May not be certain what fish is coming next, but what a way to unwind.
20220909_sunset.jpg

Last edited:

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
Mystery fish is Green Sunfish...
Thx. Someone else mentioned bluegill and WDFW does list bluegill as being present. Kinda like bugs they all look real similar online to me and I'm just not sure. Edit ok, I think I'll go bluegill.
20220910_085840[1].jpg

Attachments

• 20220910_085829[1].jpg
    20220910_085829[1].jpg
    390.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Tim L

Stillwater Strategist
Forum Supporter
Haha yes bluegill. That's a very Ohio-ish catch, especially this time of year (maybe trade the trout for a channel cat)

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
Haha yes bluegill. That's a very Ohio-ish catch, especially this time of year (maybe trade the trout for a channel cat)
Your book has made a huge difference in my stillwater success this summer, having a blast.

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
That book looks interesting.
Grandma worked at the U book store and mon got it for me for christmas about 1980. Inland Fishes of Washington, Wydoski and Whitney, University of Washington Press, 1979 . ISBN 0-295-95644-5. It's a handy resourse, a couple years ago I was working to figure out the stream minnows. It has technical ID stuff and other information.
20220910_101333[1].jpg

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
That’s got to be some kind of “slam”! 😜

Perch and Bluegill are so fun to catch. Caught thousands of the them on a bamboo pole as a kid.