Let’s start a trout spey thread

Styskal

Smolt
Learning to cast from your core is a must for anyone learning speycasting. Especially as we get older. Elbows flying around will result in pain at some point with any caster. It gets worse as lines and rods get longer. And yes rowing is exactly the same, I have to remind myself of this at times doing multi day floats. I also do two hand competition casting and so far no issues with shoulders. Fingers crossed.

Bob Rankin

Wandering the country with rifle and spey rod.
Forum Supporter
Been thinking about an intermediate skagit head for swinging trout this time of year to slow swing down. Has anyone gone this route? Thoughts?

Also, how many of you prefer a integrated line for trout Spey? It’s nice to be able to change heads on reels but it’s pretty clunky stripping in close or in ledgy areas.
I don’t use an intermediate line, but I do use a sink 2 head built by Godshall to dig deep.

I tried the integrated line and just didn’t like it. It doesn’t cast as well as a straight up Skagit head in my opinion. I do switch heads now and again trout fishing. I’m with Clarkman on the strip aggressively back.

I usually just start a section or river like I would fishing steelhead, starting with the leader out, then working out to my casting length, then start working through the run. I try and get a sideways presentation of the fly as it moves across. Where I fish it seems to work really well. At the end of the drift I strip to the head incase a fish followed it and needs a little extra. I’m not to concerned about stripping all the way the back in. But that’s just me.

ifsteve

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
While I think using spey gear for trout is dumb and something I just fail to get its what's great about this sport. Lots of ways to enjoy getting on the water. So good on you guys. But just don't ever ask to spey cast off the bow of my skiff.....lol. It don't work too well.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Learning to cast from your core is a must for anyone learning speycasting. Especially as we get older. Elbows flying around will result in pain at some point with any caster. It gets worse as lines and rods get longer. And yes rowing is exactly the same, I have to remind myself of this at times doing multi day floats. I also do two hand competition casting and so far no issues with shoulders. Fingers crossed.
So true. I try to pin my elbow by my side, especially when I find myself chopping wood with that arm.

I’ve seemed to slowly transition all of my single hand trout fishing into two handers. This includes the salt. Heck, I even wanna start using them for dries more in the summer. I remember being out on a wide section of the Missouri once and seeing a huge pod of fish sipping bugs in the middle of the river. I had a single hander and kept coming up just short of getting to them. It would have been awesome to have a trout Spey to get the extra distance needed.

Big Tuna

Steelhead
Beulah Platinum 12' 4 weight trout spey, loop classic 4/6, and Nextcast Troutfinder. The rod is new, but so far I'm liking it.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I’m thinking about it…I’ve tried single hand micro skagit..maybe a 3 or 4wt trout Spey rig is in order…

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
The following Burkies,. 4114, 5155, and for larger fall run browns, the 6128. Looking to add a 3110 Meiser. I primarily use Guideline 3Ds on the 4114, a Commando Smooth w/ tips on the 5115, and Nextcast Costal 3Ds on the 6128.

While I think using spey gear for trout is dumb and something I just fail to get its what's great about this sport. Lots of ways to enjoy getting on the water. So good on you guys. But just don't ever ask to spey cast off the bow of my skiff.....lol. It don't work too well.

@ifsteve I've spent many evenings and nights swinging for tarpon off a skiff when I used to live in the FL Keys. When you find the fish holding in current it's a great presentation. Some of my best memories. My guide buddies down there are finding places and times to use it during the day too.

As for the trout spey bug, I'm still waiting to catch it. I do enjoy throwing the spey lite heads from SA on single handers from time to time with streamers. And the single hand spey line from Rio is a really nice line for swinging smaller wets, that can still overhead cast well. This thread is adding motivation to give it a proper chance!

G_Smolt

Legend
Hi B, didn't see you here until just now. Welcome, looking forward to your input on all things 2hand.

Mark

jkdurden

It’s all about the size of your D.
For those that are weird about trout spey. Let’s see what you got! All things trout spey, and the love of swinging flys. Rods,reels,flys, fish pics.

And….go.
Hi…I’m JD and I’m a Spey addict. :) But you have to want to change…and I don’t.

Started trout Spey about five years ago. Haven’t looked back. I love fishing a two handed rod. I have a full quiver of Sage One’s Spey/Switch from 2-8. I also have a fairly full quiver of Sage X single-handed rods. All get used in Spey casting. I love to fish…not just to cast. (For the record) I enjoy looking around once I have the swing set how I like it. For me, I find it much more fun than watching an indicator. That said…if it’s 2pm and I’ve not felt a single tug; I’ll switch to dries or indicators to get rid of the skunk. :)

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
When I am fishing on a skiff I am sight fishing. Spey casting spooks every fish in the county. Anybody wants to do so on their boat is fine by me but its verbotten on my skiff.....lol
There is no one cast for everything.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
There are times I wish I loved swinging flies more than I do (I just happen to be more of a stripper) because those Orvis Mission's are damn sweet rods. I think if I did more straight up swinging, I'd probably have a steelhead version and a trout version in my quiver.

Tubbster

Steelhead
Does anyone trout Spey in the sound for SRC and salmon? I watched a video from Nordic Anglers on YouTube and he is fishing for seatrout with a trout Spey setup.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
There are times I wish I loved swinging flies more than I do (I just happen to be more of a stripper) because those Orvis Mission's are damn sweet rods. I think if I did more straight up swinging, I'd probably have a steelhead version and a trout version in my quiver.
Stripper?…