Lake Levels...Bring It On Old Man Winter!

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
After reading @Roper's mention of low water levels I thought I would post a couple of pictures of two Eastern, eastern WA lakes that I fished over the past few days. The second picture is a little deceiving but both lakes were down about 3' from last years levels and as the pictures show, a long ways from full pool. :(
IMG-5671.jpg
IMG-5666.jpg

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Looks like low tide…..

Here on the west (wet) side, we just had our driest summer on record and also a record for 90° days.
SF

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
After reading @Roper's mention of low water levels I thought I would post a couple of pictures of two Eastern, eastern WA lakes that I fished over the past few days. The second picture is a little deceiving but both lakes were down about 3' from last years levels and as the pictures show, a long ways from full pool. :(
View attachment 34124
View attachment 34126
I drove by the large cataract lake the other day and noticed it too is lower than it was earlier in the spring. As much as I dislike a lot of snow, we need a lot of wet snow and spring rains to recharge lakes............. (groundwater, springs......), especially that bottom lake! ;-)

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Fortunately the bottom lake is extremely deep and a couple of miles long and has an almost infinite food supply but it can be snotty in the fall. I have always been successful there in the fall with fast sinking lines, nothing lighter than a Type VI. I am amazed by how those huge fish can find a size 12 Halfback in all of that water!

Here's a tip-the lake is loaded with perch fry this time of year, take your best perch pattern.

Here at home the river is running about 12,500 cfs-about 3,000 cfs low for the date. That would seem to indicate that many of the waters upstream that feed the Clark Fork are collectively low as well. No significant rain in sight.

On the other hand, Krusty and I visited a lake last week that is at full pool and the fishing was superb. The fish had grown since May and were in prime shape and there was a helluva lot of them. It was nice to be on a lake that is thriving instead of diving.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Fortunately the bottom lake is extremely deep and a couple of miles long and has an almost infinite food supply but it can be snotty in the fall. I have always been successful there in the fall with fast sinking lines, nothing lighter than a Type VI. I am amazed by how those huge fish can find a size 12 Halfback in all of that water!

Here's a tip-the lake is loaded with perch fry this time of year, take your best perch pattern.

Here at home the river is running about 12,500 cfs-about 3,000 cfs low for the date. That would seem to indicate that many of the waters upstream that feed the Clark Fork are collectively low as well. No significant rain in sight.You

On the other hand, Krusty and I visited a lake last week that is at full pool and the fishing was superb. The fish had grown since May and were in prime shape and there was a helluva lot of them. It was nice to be on a lake that is thriving instead of diving.
Ive - Your tie of the halfback is superb. I remember you doing very well with that small fly on the big lake.

Thanks for the tip on the perch fry fly - that's been a pretty good producer for me at that long, deep lake. perch fry fly2.JPG
I hope @Old406Kid and I can get there before it closes.