Lake for sale

RCF

Life of the Party
According to the real estate listing the state plants trout in it. Confusing for sure...

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
Explain to me how that works. If the lake is privately owned but a sliver of access to the lake is owned by the Dept of Game, is the public still allowed to access it for fishing or is that forbidden..?
Can't own the water. If you anchor or touch the shore in theory you could get a ticket if the owners wanted to give you one.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
You'll be able to get in if the state unlocks the access...if not you end up portaging your watercraft. I know a couple of lakes that are not accessible by vehicle unless the state or feds unlock the gate. The rest of the adjacent lands are privately owned, and heavily trespass posted.

I believe no access easement means no state stocking occurs. We lost a wonderful publicly accessed lake (and one of the few good trout streams in NE WA) years ago when the state traded all of the lake and outflow stream access for a far more distant stand. None of it's accessible and the lake is now private, with two McMansions. It was long before the internet and such heinous transfers were easily 'flown below' public radar in those days.

Tim L

Stillwater Strategist
Forum Supporter
If you read the whole ad and look at the map within the ad it makes sense. The opening line by itself is confusing as far as who controls what. Unless the body of the ad or the map is misrepresented, it appears the private land around 3/4 of the lake is what's for sale, the state has an easment to (and control of) the water, and PSE owns the encompassing land around the subject including the other fourth of waterfront on the lake itself. So the allure is being the sole private/household land owner on an otherwise public (state managed) lake.

8D76C5D6-2931-41AB-9D76-3B59C24119A2.jpegE814858C-0B57-4914-BF0C-70D40746DE7D.jpeg

Last edited:

kerrys

Ignored Member
Explain to me how that works. If the lake is privately owned but a sliver of access to the lake is owned by the Dept of Game, is the public still allowed to access it for fishing or is that forbidden..?
Here is what I was told a number of years ago. I can’t verify the story. The old guy that owned the place made some sort of agreement with the state game department. He gave the department the sliver of land to be used for public access and agreed to allow public fishing. Not sure by who, what, or why this was done. Later the old guy got upset with the amount of traffic and trash left at the access area so the rumor was the state changed the regs and made the lake fly fishing only, c and r. This seemed to help with the traffic and trash.

At some point the owner brought in a younger guy to help take care of him and the property. Over the years the two became friends and when the owner passed away he left the lake and property to the care taker.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Here is what I was told a number of years ago. I can’t verify the story. The old guy that owned the place made some sort of agreement with the state game department. He gave the department the sliver of land to be used for public access and agreed to allow public fishing. Not sure by who, what, or why this was done. Later the old guy got upset with the amount of traffic and trash left at the access area so the rumor was the state changed the regs and made the lake fly fishing only, c and r. This seemed to help with the traffic and trash.

At some point the owner brought in a younger guy to help take care of him and the property. Over the years the two became friends and when the owner passed away he left the lake and property to the care taker.
Yep, the old man told me something pretty similar. I wanna say his name was Mike. But I'm terrible with names. Could be way off.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Place has been on the market for almost a month. Wonder if someone (or a group) offered up close to what they paid if they'd go for it.

Not sure how set in stone an easement like that is. Would be a shame if it were to go away.

There's some pretty sweet little brook trout slots up in that area as well.

Damn I wish I had $700K laying around.

cdnred

Life of the Party
Can't own the water. If you anchor or touch the shore in theory you could get a ticket if the owners wanted to give you one.

The way it was worded, it appeared that the lake was part of the purchase which caused the confusion. But I agree with what you said about not being able to own the water..

This is your chance to own a secluded lake.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
So if you buy the lake, is it yours after the WDFW lease runs out? Could you stock it with whatever you want?

PhilR

Whale Shark
Forum Supporter
So if you buy the lake, is it yours after the WDFW lease runs out? Could you stock it with whatever you want?

Dude, we've been over this before. You cannot stock it with alligators.

JayB

Steelhead
Great way to destroy relationships indeed. My late wife's best friend was one of 3 siblings that inherited a 3.5 million dollar ranch in Montana. The oldest brother had always lived on the ranch and wanted to keep it for himself. You can only imagine the shit show that ensued but suffice it to say that it was a long and bitter battle involving lawyers that fractured the entire family.

George Washington said it first and said it best: "Avoid Entangling Alliances." Some we are born into and can't be avoided, the rest are mostly our own fault.

I've heard multiple tales of woe with a similar plotline. I've also heard of a few cases where families/friends managed to avoid that fate, but from what I can tell they were very careful to stipulate what happens with regards to allocating time, ownership expenses, sale of a stake in the property, etc so everyone was in agreement at the outset.

Of course that's no guarantee that things will go well, and most of the reason that the agreements didn't dissolve into a nightmare probably had to do with the character and values of the people involved and their willingness to abide by the terms of the agreement.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
Great way to destroy relationships indeed. My late wife's best friend was one of 3 siblings that inherited a 3.5 million dollar ranch in Montana. The oldest brother had always lived on the ranch and wanted to keep it for himself. You can only imagine the shit show that ensued but suffice it to say that it was a long and bitter battle involving lawyers that fractured the entire family.

George Washington said it first and said it best: "Avoid Entangling Alliances." Some we are born into and can't be avoided, the rest are mostly our own fault.
I've heard multiple tales of woe with a similar plotline. I've also heard of a few cases where families/friends managed to avoid that fate, but from what I can tell they were very careful to stipulate what happens with regards to allocating time, ownership expenses, sale of a stake in the property, etc so everyone was in agreement at the outset.

Of course that's no guarantee that things will go well, and most of the reason that the agreements didn't dissolve into a nightmare probably had to do with the character and values of the people involved and their willingness to abide by the terms of the agreement.

Happened within my own family. My Grandparents had a "summer" cabin on a beautiful private lake in the Laurentian mountains (north of Montreal). For whatever reason, it seemed to go to the eldest daughter and her family, my mother and her twin excluded. Then, when the time came, seemed to go to the eldest son and his family, excluding all the 3 other children in that family. Not sure if anyone speaks to anyone anymore.

No cheers in that family.

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
As a family we have managed real estate investments and properties for about 30 yrs. My wife and i are about done with a complete build-out and are ready to open a business.

Individual character has been our base for smooth operations and when things go south.....its all about the maturity level and professionalism of each player.

Some families don't have the chemistry to eat a meal together.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
As a family we have managed real estate investments and properties for about 30 yrs. My wife and i are about done with a complete build-out and are ready to open a business.

Individual character has been our base for smooth operations and when things go south.....its all about the maturity level and professionalism of each player.

Some families don't have the chemistry to eat a meal together.
Yup...and all ot takes is one turd in the soup bowl to ruin the entire dining experience.

We had five distant family members involved, and four were very reasonable, but the fifth (a used car dealer who truly exemplified every stereotypical used car salesman trope) was impossible to work with on anything.

You can pick your friends and business associates, but you're stuck with family members glued together by a poorly crafted will. Resolving disputes involving money in an equitable fashion is a true test of character.

Last edited:

RCF

Life of the Party
Wills/Trusts and associated execution of them can/will bring out the worst and many times will break up family member relationships forever. No amount of money (or lack thereof) is worth that IMHO. Also never have a family member be responsible as the Trustee/Executor ---> always have someone independent from the family have that/those responsibilities. I know from experience unfortunately...

RCF

Life of the Party
If you read the whole ad and look at the map within the ad it makes sense. The opening line by itself is confusing as far as who controls what. Unless the body of the ad or the map is misrepresented, it appears the private land around 3/4 of the lake is what's for sale, the state has an easment to (and control of) the water, and PSE owns the encompassing land around the subject including the other fourth of waterfront on the lake itself. So the allure is being the sole private/household land owner on an otherwise public (state managed) lake.

View attachment 58423View attachment 58424

There is a huge difference between owning all the land surrounding a lake and owning most of the land. Even more so if the other owner is a large corporation with deep pockets. It could go much like the way of execution of wills/trusts when two or more parties have a different vision for the land currently or in the future.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin

I think most of the time the issue is that people don't structure "shared" stuff as strictly and legally as they should. It needs to all be spelled out in advance. Usage, scheduling, maintenance, supplies, selling out, how to arbitrate issues, etc. Every little detail. No matter if you are sharing a cabin or starting a resturant with someone, it has to all be in writing, in advance.

Now, that doesn't mean there still won't be problems. But you'll at least weed out a big chunk of them (or a big chunk of stupid people) beforehand.

I don't know how you deal with the estate type stuff where one person wants to sell and the other wants to keep it in the family. I guess maybe anyone who has anything of value like that to pass down to multiple people should make it VERY clear in the will (and verbally beforehand) what their wishes are in that situation.