Kokanee

Paul_

Life of the Party
I took the new to me new boat out to Merwin for its maiden fishing voyage.
Once I figured out how to properly use the down riggers (hint, don’t back off the manual handle so far that the handles comes completely off and the cannon ball weight free spools to the bottom at rocket speed😂).
Once I got everything dialed in, I had good luck using hooks with Spawn FlyFish Polliwog Tails tipped with tuna corn.
C7EEDABC-26E8-4BE2-B047-43620D434701.jpeg
F6085063-B037-498E-941A-10A1E8B0720B.jpeg
BF72C4F5-E622-4D36-8EC7-300DDA151B23.jpeg

Good eats…

troutstalker

Born to Fish...Forced to Work
Forum Supporter
I took the new to me new boat out to Merwin for its maiden fishing voyage.
Once I figured out how to properly use the down riggers (hint, don’t back off the manual handle so far that the handles comes completely off and the cannon ball weight free spools to the bottom at rocket speed😂).
Once I got everything dialed in, I had good luck using hooks with Spawn FlyFish Polliwog Tails tipped with tuna corn.
View attachment 42285
View attachment 42287
View attachment 42286

Good eats…

Excellent work sir! They sure are good eats.

Paul_

Life of the Party
How do you prepare them? Do you prefer to fillet them or just clean them like trout?
I do both. I filleted these and will be smoking them this weekend.
Merwin Reservoir is a great and user friendly Kokanee fishery. If you’re close you should check it out.

BriGuy

Life of the Party
Thanks, Paul.

Many years ago, I fished a local Olympia area lake for Kokanee a few times. I cleaned them and gave them to my parents. I was never a big fan of eating trout, but I sure have developed a taste for salmon. I'd like to give kokanee another try (and taste).

Thanks for the tip about Merwin. A little out of my normal range, but I may make an exception.

-Brian